PDA

View Full Version : washing lentils - what if i forgot?

sunberst
10-05-2003, 11:44 AM
i have discovered that i love lentils, but i am still a newbie on them.

i heard that you are suppose to sort through them before using, and i do weeding out any that are a funny color.

however, i have never read that you are suppose to WASH them as well.

i just added my sorted but unwashed lentils to my dish. then i looked at the bag and it said that about the washing. why? is something on them that is bad? granted the lentils are in boiling water so that should kill off any germs. how bad a thing is this that i forgot to wash, too?

VictoriaL
10-05-2003, 11:53 AM
I think that you're instructed to wash the lentils because they might have bits of dirt, dust, etc. on them. They are usually dried and stored in huge containers and could become a bit dirty. I wouldn't worry about it, since the cooking would kill any germs that may be on them. I wash mine most of the time!
(I didn't think that you'd be back so soon! And cooking already!)

sunberst
10-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by VictoriaL
may be on them. I wash mine most of the time!
(I didn't think that you'd be back so soon! And cooking already!) okay good to know. they didnt LOOK dirty, but hopefully the boiling will take care of anything bad. i didnt want my whole dish to be ruined because i neglected a step! :(

yes, i am back and needing to cook something good, healthy & homemade after all those all-you-can-eat prime rib, crab legs & shrimp buffets!

wallycat
10-05-2003, 12:17 PM
I can't tell you how much stuff I forget to wash :eek: :D

Gail
10-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Didn't your mother ever warn you that if you don't wash your lentils, little plants will start to grow in your tummy? :p

Actually, I'm wondering if another reason for washing might be to weed out any little pebbles (as with dried beans) which occasionally sneak into the package.

Edited to add: I just checked by Food Lover's Tiptionary. It says the reason is to weed out shriveled lentils and possible gravel.

Cafe Latte
10-05-2003, 04:36 PM
I saw this question posted last week.

Here is the thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47504&highlight=lentils

wallycat
10-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Yes, I'm sure it's the gravel/pebble thing because i"ve nearly lost a tooth on a few of these :o :D

sunberst
10-05-2003, 05:50 PM
i thought i did a search... i didnt see the thread that was posted JUST last week. :rolleyes:

i never thought about pebbles being in the lentils. wow. good thing to know! i would hate to bite into one of those! not use to rocks in my food. ;)