PDA

View Full Version : Delicate lentil question

Kingwell
10-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Since we're all cooks here, and mostly girls, I'm just gonna ask...there are all these yummy sounding recipes using lentils on the BB these days, but does no one else suffer their unsavory side effects?

I have heard, and have tried, to get around...hmm...that, by boiling the lentils, draining off that first round of water, then using new water (ditto for beans) to proceed with the dish. However, the last time I made lentil soup, which I was really excited about, I needed to be where other people were not for about 24 hours afterwards. :(

Anyone mastered lentils without the side effects?

Kristin

Curleytop
10-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Have you used putting 10 drops of BEANO on your first spoonful of the OFFENDING FOOD? Then if you have seconds, use the same amount of BEANO again. I use the liquid!
Actually, I haven't had to use it for a long time, I think maybe my body got adjusted to beans. I never ate them when I was a kid.
They are on the web: WWW.Beano.com

lorilei
10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
I have to mention that eating offending foods regularly also lessens their impact.

We happen to eat lots of beans at our house -- and lentils are actually far gentler on our digestive systems than some others.

beacooker
10-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Well, Lorilei, eating is a bodily function, is it not? :cool: (I hope Gail doesn't mind me using her little guy)

doggerham
10-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Another vote for BEANO!

asilenosrac
10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
10 is WAY more than it says to use on the instructions. but i guess its not harmful?

asile

sunberst
10-06-2003, 07:27 PM
i don't have problems with beans or lentils.

i suppose it is because i eat lots of fiber on a regular basis. your body gets use to it & doesnt react in a bad way. atleast it doesnt for me personally.

i know some people who eat very poor amounts of fiber in their diets and lots of foods, even in very small amounts, like broccoli, will affect them negatively.

fiber is my friend! i love it and it makes me feel so good.

Valerie226
10-06-2003, 07:43 PM
another vote for regular beans, lentils,lots of fruits, vegies & fibrous foods. No problem here with any of it. what used to give me problems was before I was a vegetarian and ate mostly a meat based diet. Now THAT was a major problem!. the key is not to make major changes too abruptly. ease into things to allow time for adaptation.

doggerham
10-06-2003, 07:48 PM
In my experience, I can handle unlimited amount of fiber from veggies like broccoli, cabbage, etc -- but with legumes, I am happier with Beano. And I've just pretty much given up green peppers, except a few raw in salad.

sunberst
10-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Valerie226
what used to give me problems was before I was a vegetarian and ate mostly a meat based diet. Now THAT was a major problemi can relate. although i am not a vegetarian, i try to stick to mostly whole grains & plants. and i realized that a lot of the problems i had in the past was due to the meat i ate. so i try to keep the amount of meat (especially red) small in comparison to the amount of beans & fresh veggies i eat. no more problems!

Kingwell
10-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Huh...not what I expected, but good advice all around.
I've never heard of broccoli being a problem...at the risk of further offending Lorilei, I have to say large amounts of vegies aren't the problem, just lentils!