PDA

View Full Version : No twine or listed substitutes. Help!

JHolcomb
10-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Argh. I want to make a stuffed pork loin roast tonight and don't have kitchen twine. I also don't have: toothpicks, plain unwaxed floss or crochet thread. Can I used embroidery floss (it's 100% cotton, colorfast dyes) without poisioning myself and DH or catching the house on fire? Still sick and not wanting to leave the house unless I have to.

newcook
10-08-2003, 02:50 PM
I don't know about the twine but I just wanted to say I am sorry you are not feeling well and hope you get better soon.

Daniele

MinEaston
10-08-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm guessing that since you don't have toothpicks you probably don't have wooden skewers (or any other skewers for that matter?)

IMHO I don't think embroidery thread will hurt you but even though it says colorfast the cooking process may change that?

JHolcomb
10-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by newcook
I don't know about the twine but I just wanted to say I am sorry you are not feeling well and hope you get better soon.

Daniele

Thanks! It's just a cold, but colds make me very whiney :p

At least I have an excuse to nap all day with the cat.

MinEaston, I do have wooden skewers! Will use those if I must. Thanks for the idea!

LaraW
10-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Do you have any skewers you could use? Or those things you use to hold the stuffing in a turkey?

As far as the embroidery floss, I doubt that you'd use enough to poison yourself - I mean, don't you lick the end of the floss to thread your needle? It might not survive the oven though - I would think it would burn through.

I'll keep thinking - sorry you're not feeling well.

Linda in MO
10-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I used embroidery floss on a beef tenderloin for Valentine's Day a couple of years ago and it worked fine.

Anne
10-09-2003, 09:38 AM
This is probably too late but could you tightly twist a long length of aluminum foil into a wire shape or two and use that? I hope you are feeling better soon.

funnybone
10-09-2003, 09:44 AM
How about metal paper clips? :o I just noticed a colored on my desk and it came to mind. :D

badunnin
10-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
I used embroidery floss on a beef tenderloin for Valentine's Day a couple of years ago and it worked fine.

Was it red and pink to match the occassion? ;)

Searcher
10-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I have no idea how this would work but I remember reading somewhere that you could use dry spaghetti to skewer meat. The article/show host said that it would hold the meat together well and sort of disappear so you didn't have to worry about making sure you'd found all the toothpicks. I think it also said you could break it off so it would be easier to brown.

Sarah
10-09-2003, 12:08 PM
I use regular sewing thread, and I'm not dead yet :D I'm sure if the thread is colourfast, you'll be fine.

JHolcomb
10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
I used embroidery floss! Thanks for all the responses...now I have a whole arsenal of stuff to use to tie up a cut of meat!

JaneStarr
10-09-2003, 06:58 PM
How about unflavored dental floss?

Jane

vbak
10-09-2003, 07:43 PM
I have also used thread, too , to tie up chicken legs on a whole chicken.

Vicky