PDA

View Full Version : Need meal suggestions for new parents

Wendy w
01-08-2001, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone!

My nephew and his wife had a baby on Saturday, a boy! I'm a Great Aunt! Anyway, my boyfriend and I are inviting ourselves over this weekend and will be making dinner for them and I need your suggestions.

Since I don't have children, I am turning to you because many of you are parents and would be best able to advise me as to what would be appreciated.

My nephew likes simple food and I don't know whether spicey foods would affect breastmilk, etc. I would like to make something not too complicated as I get discombobulated in someone else's kitchen.

Thanks!

Wendy

SHERRY
01-08-2001, 03:47 PM
When friends have babies, we usually take a meal over also. I have taken, lasagna, fahitas, BBQ ribs and turkey.. from local restaurant, or maybe a local favorite of theirs that they won't be visiting for a while now that they have the little one http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Spicy foods effecting breastmilk really varies person to person. I didn't have a problem with my two boys. I craved mexican all of the time and it never seemed to bother them. Many times, it is dairy or strong flavors like garlic that can effect milk taste or upset the baby's tummy.

SueK
01-08-2001, 04:12 PM
When I had my daughter, relatives also brought lasagna, and a big casserole dish of macaroni and cheese. It was nice, because there weren't a lot of pots and pans to clean up. Those foods were also easy to reheat quickly for leftovers, which was great, since our hands were quite full with a newborn! Making some dishes and freezing them would probably be a big help to your nephew and his wife, too. Something like meatballs and sauce, so all they'd have to do would be to cook pasta, etc.

luv2cook
01-08-2001, 04:14 PM
I vote for chicken divan. Tastes great and I guess can be thought of as simple. Serve with Brown or white rice..enough for two days...OR make the recipe, divide in half and keep half for yourself!

Susan
01-08-2001, 04:23 PM
Past favorites that I have been given after the birth of a baby were:

-flank steak with roasted potatoes and a green salad

-stuffed pork chops with a bean salad

-roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans

Rolls and freshly-baked bread are wonderful accompaniments to any meal and don't forget dessert! How about cheesecake with a cherry topping? YUM!

Linda in MO
01-08-2001, 05:51 PM
Here are some good ones that are tried and true. I also have recipes for cavatini, cheese filled manicotti, crockpot chicken lickin' good pork chops, honey-glazed chicken, marinated beef brisket,etc. Let me know if you need me to post any of these recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sicilian Meat Roll

Recipe By :Better Homes and Gardens
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Ground Beef , Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 slightly beaten eggs
3/4 c. soft bread crumbs
1/2 c. tomato juice (or 1/4 c. tomato sauce and 1/4 c. water mixed)
2 T. snipped fresh parsley
1/2 t. dried oregano -- crushed
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 small clove garlic -- minced
2 lbs. lean ground beef
6 thin slices fully cooked deli ham
1 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, tomato juice, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Stir in ground beef, mixing well.

On foil, pat meat mixture into a 12x10 inch rectangle.

Arrange ham slices on top of meat, leaving a 3/4 inch border around all edges.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese over ham.

Starting from a short end, carefully roll up meat, using foil to lift and guide; seal edges and ends.

Place roll, seam side down, in a 13x9x2 pan sprayed with Pam.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it reaches 170 degrees and juices run clear. (Center of meat roll will be pink because of the ham.)

Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of roll; return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Remove to a platter to serve.

Serving Ideas : I like to serve this with buttered pasta with Italian seasonings, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper mixed in, baked potato bread from my bread machine, mandarin orange tossed salad, and dessert.

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

Recipe By :slightly modified from Taste of Home, Apr/May 99, pg. 40
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casserole , Ham, Main Dish

6 tablespoons butter or margarine -- divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups milk
6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
1 small onion -- grated
3/4 to 1 cup favorite shredded cheese -- optional

In a saucepan, melt 4 T. butter. Stir in flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper until smooth.

Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Combine potatoes, ham and onion; place half in a greased 2 1/2 qt. baking dish.

Top with half of the sauce; repeat layers.

Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.

Cover and bake at 375 deg. for 65-75 min. or until potatoes are almost tender.

Dot with remaining butter (optional if using cheese).

Bake uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.

This is a long recipe, but it's very easy and makes the BEST roast chicken!

Chicken with Two Lemons

Recipe By :The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken

3 to 4 lbs. chicken
2 small lemons
freshly ground black pepper
salt (I use regular table salt or Kosher)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Wash the chicken inside and out with cold water and remove any bits of fat hanging loose. Thoroughly drain the bird pat it dry all around with either a tea towel or kitchen roll.

Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper all over the chicken, inside and out, rubbing it in with your fingers.

Wash the lemons in cold water and dry them as for the chicken. Soften each one by rolling it back and forth on a counter top apply firm pressure with the palm of your hand. Puncture each lemon at least 20 times with a cocktail stick, trussing needle or similar pointed implement.

Place both lemons in the bird's cavity and close it up (both ends) using cocktail sticks or trussing needle and string. Close it well but not absolutely airtight otherwise the chicken may well explode! As it is the chicken will puff up during cooking and makes for an appealing presentation at the table.

Tie the two chicken legs together in their normal position (do not pull tight), this is only to prevent the thighs from spreading and splitting the skin.

Put the chicken into a roasting pan, breast side down.

Do not add cooking fat of any kind, it is self-basting and will not stick to the pan.
Place the pan in the upper third of the pre-heated oven.

After 30 minutes turn the chicken over so that it is breast up. Try not to puncture the skin as you do this (don't worry if you do, it still tastes delicious even if it does not puff up).

Cook for a further 30 minutes and then, without touching the chicken, turn the oven up to 400F and cook for an additional 20 minutes or so.

Source:
"Posted by ashleyd at Mimi's"

Serving Ideas : Good with mashed potatoes or Parmesan roasted potatoes or oven roasted new potatoes.

NOTES : This can be done without the kitchen string.

The bird should cook for 20-25 minutes per pound so some slight adjustment may be needed in cooking times, judge it by eye. Because of the basting effect of the lemons the bird will not dry out so err on the side of caution and cook a little longer if you are in doubt.
When the bird is ready place it on a platter and bring it to the table whole before carving there. Leave the lemons inside while carving.
The pan juices and any liquid that runs out as the bird is being carved form a wonderful sauce. (You can pour the juice in a heavy ziploc bag, snip the corner slightly, and let it drain out until you get to the fat, then pull away.)

Comment: It is difficult to believe how a dish so simple, so easy and so foolproof can taste so exquisite. However once you have tasted it you will believe. This is so simple (and cheap) that you can use it for your Sunday roast (but do not try to cook anything else in the same pan as the chicken). This recipe will give flavour to almost any old chicken but for best results try to use a good free-range chicken.--notes from ashley d at Mimi's

Rice Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken

Recipe By :
Categories : Chicken , Main Dish

1 1/2 cups Rice Crispies -- coarsely crushed
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
garlic powder and pepper -- to taste
1/4 cup melted margarine
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a shallow bowl, combine cereal, flour, and seasonings. Place margarine in another bowl.

Dip chicken in margarine, then into cereal mixture. Place in a greased 11x7 inch baking pan. Drizzle with remaining margarine.

Bake, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until juices run clear.

Source:
"slightly modified from Quick Cooking Magazine--Premiere Issue--pg. 9"

Meat Loaf Pie

Recipe By :slightly adapted from Country Woman, July/Aug 00, pg. 41
Categories : Ground Beef , Main Dish

1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
few dashes Morton's Nature's Seasoning -- optional
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 pound lean ground beef
ketchup -- to taste (recipe calls for 1/3 cup, but I use less)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning -- crushed
1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese -- or more to taste

In a bowl, combine milk, bread crumbs, garlic salt, nature's seasoning, and pepper.

Add beef; mix well.

Press meat mixture onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9 inch pie plate.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; drain carefully.

Spread with ketchup. Sprinkle with cheddar, oregano, and Parmesan.

Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and cheese is melted.

Serving Ideas : Serve with mashed potatoes and corn.

debg
01-08-2001, 07:34 PM
Wendy,

My favorite is Taco Salad fixings. You can bring over everything prepared and all they have to do is throw it together! This is great for a few meals too!

My recommendation is anything you do is brought over in disposable containers - that way the new parents have one less thing to worry about, who's tupperware container is whos!

mommywannabe
01-09-2001, 12:23 AM
Wendy,
How about a big pot of hearty soup, divided in to individual portions (Gladware is my friend http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif)? This would be a great thing that they could keep in their fridge/freezer and heat up quickly for these cold winter days.

Wendy w
01-20-2001, 04:23 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just want to thank you for your suggestions. I ended up making my chicken enchiladas for them. I have printed out this thread as I am sure that I will be making dinner for them again soon! Linda in MO, thanks for all of the recipes.

MrsReber
01-22-2001, 09:03 AM
What a great thread! Our neighbors are having a baby very soon- within the next four weeks- and I was thinking of baking a dish or two for them. My husband wants to contibute, too- a 6-pack of beer for the new father.

SusanJoy
01-22-2001, 05:24 PM
MrsReber - I think your husband's idea is great....though from my experience it is the new mom who really needs the "relaxation!"

Susan