PDA

View Full Version : Can you put a cold crock in the crockpot????

kwormann
10-20-2003, 05:13 PM
I mixed a chicken chili tonight and put it in the crock. I was planning on putting it in the crockpot tomorrow morning and cooking it all day on low. Can I put it straight into the cold liner from the fridge or do I have to let it come to room temp first??

:)

tbb113
10-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Straight from the fridge works with my crockpot :)

kwormann
10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Good. I figured it should if the liner was cold, but I didnt want it to crack...:)

SusanL
10-20-2003, 06:08 PM
:( Did you check their website? I hate these kind of things!! I am making a Greek Stew in the crockpot tomorrow morning.

kwormann
10-20-2003, 06:58 PM
you mean Rival's website???

What is Greek stew????

Deanna
10-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Well, Rival makes it kind of tricky to find their website, if you look for Rival. Here is a link to their Q&A page: http://www.crockpot.com/support_files/questions.asp

Here is the answer to your question:

Q: Can I prepare the food in the stoneware and place it in the refrigerator the night before I want to cook?

A: Yes, you may prepare the ingredients in the stoneware and place it in the refrigerator. The chilled stoneware may be taken directly from the refrigerator and placed in the heating base. You may turn the unit on immediately to either the Low or High setting. Do not preheat the electrical base. You may find that the maximum cooking time is necessary when starting foods directly from the refrigerator.

kwormann
10-20-2003, 07:05 PM
YEA! Thanks Deanna. I was just headed to their website, but amn glad to not spend lots of time searching!

Deanna
10-21-2003, 06:06 PM
You are very welcome. I've always done it that way, but didn't know if it was correct to do so. I was glad to find out for sure!

d

kwormann
10-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Update, it worked great!! (and the soup was supurb!!!)

pattyp.
10-21-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm asking too, what's Greek Stew??????:confused: :confused:

katygirl
10-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm not Susan, but I just plucked this from the healthy crockpot meals thread posted by her. Enjoy!

Greek Stew
3 pounds of stewing beef
1 1/2 pounds small onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1- 28 oz. can tomatoes
1/2 cup beef stock
1- 5 1/2 oz. can tomato paste
2 TBS red wine vinegar
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cold water
1 sweet green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, trimming off any fat Cut onions into wedges leaving root end intact. Put meat & onions into slow cooker along with garlic & tomatoes. Combine beef stock, vinegar, oregano, salt & pepper and add to slow cooker, stirring gently to blend. Cook on Low for 8-9 hours or High for 6 hours. Add flour & water mixture and chopped green pepper. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve sprinkled with feta & parsley.
Source: Canadian Living, February 1999
posted by Marilyn
Slow Cooker Stew Recipes Index