PDA

View Full Version : Rev: Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta

DebMG
10-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Fresh out of the mailbox today, I decided to give this a try tonight. (It was from the "Superfast" section, so I never really have great expectations!)

Well it is quite a tasty dish, in my opinion. Definitely don't skimp on the cheese, as it really makes the dish. You could probably eliminate the ham if you had to, although I liked the addition of it.

Some mushrooms might be a nice addition next time.

It really is a nice quick dinner, and I bet even the most finicky eaters would enjoy it.

Debbie

SueK
10-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks Deb. I got mine today and this one popped out at me, so I'll have to try it out soon.

Vicanddi
10-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Could one of you lucky people who have the November issue post this recipe? It sounds yummy and like something my DH will love! TIA! :)

AndreaU
10-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Vicanddi
Could one of you lucky people who have the November issue post this recipe? It sounds yummy and like something my DH will love! TIA! :)

Ditto! ;)

Terrytx
10-25-2003, 01:21 PM
* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Cordon Blue Pasta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free milk, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Jarlsberg cheese
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, bonless chicken
breasts
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup (4 ounces) diced lean deli ham
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While noodles cook, spoon flour into dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 cup milk in a heavy saucepan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Place the pan over medium heat; whisk 1 3/4 cups milk and mustard. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in the chicken, peas, ham and black pepper, and serve over noodles.

serving size: 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 1 cup noodles - 587 cal, 16.5g fat, 48.5g pro, 59.7g carb, 3.6g fiber, 146mg chol, 3.9mg iron, 731mg sod, 593mg calc.

Source:
"Cooking Light-11/03"

shoyski
10-31-2003, 05:41 PM
This was a hit in our house tonight as well. :) I think the serving size is fairly generous. In fact, I halved the recipe and after we both had a good size portion, I still had one serving left over.

Krystal
10-31-2003, 08:25 PM
I don't know what happend to mine, but we really didn't like this dish at all. It seemed really bland to me. It needed something, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Laurielee
11-04-2003, 10:56 AM
made this last night and it was real good. I used gorgonzola cheese 1/4 cup since I didnt have jarlsburg, and I used 1 % milk and it was still thick and creamy. I also added some chopped walnuts. Like Krystal - I thought it was bland so I added about 1 1/2 TBSp sherry and this really jazzed up the flavor. a repeat and it was so easy

Laurie

greysangel
11-06-2003, 08:26 AM
We had this last night and we really liked it...the way I made it :o :D I also think it would have been totally bland without my snazzy additions.

First off I lightened:

evaporated ff milk
4 oz of cheese (I really thought it was cheesy enough..in fact the consistency of this sauce was really great for CL..nice and creamy)
mine was over spaghetti squash :D

Then:

I didn't have precooked chicken so I sauteed cut up breasts with onion, garlic, a little sherry and fox point seasoning. Then I added mushrooms, the peas and ham. Cooked the sauce and pasta in separate pans and then combined it all together. I added a tad more mustard than called for and a pinch of paprika.

I thought it was very good. I would repeat it exactly the way I made it. To me it was tasty enough and rich enough to fall into "comfort" food, but it wasn't singing with flavor. Just a nice winter filling meal :)

JeAnne

Hoodone
11-06-2003, 12:37 PM
We really liked this as a quick and easy dinner. I subbed gruyere cheese, as that is what I had, and sprinkled with paprika to serve. That looked nice against the green peas. I also used whole wheat egg noodles. I will definitely make this again.

Vicanddi
11-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Any ideas on sides for this dish?

Terrytx
11-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Vicanddi
Any ideas on sides for this dish?

I think I'll just have a tossed salad with it when I make it.

jenalynh
11-09-2003, 01:35 AM
My husband thought I was going to make my stuffed version of this recipe but was in for a good shock. We both enjoyed the Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta, and our daughter ate more than play with her share. I omitted the Dijon, and subbed deli ham for smoked turkey (1/3-inch cubed), and Fontina for Jarlsberg (couldn't find).

Vicanddi
11-10-2003, 10:30 PM
I made this for dinner tonight, along with a garden salad and cherry tomatoes. It was very yummy and went together rather quickly. My DH kept raving about how good it was. I omitted the peas, as I forgot to get them at the store (Oops!) and omitted the mustard as well, as we just don't like it. Otherwise, I made the recipe as written.

jennanne
12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
DH and I threw this together tonight and it was really good...sort of like a spruced up macaroni and cheese. It went together really quickly, was a generous portion size, and very filling.

Definitly try if you have leftover chicken and cold cuts calling from your fridge!

AnnaSue
12-04-2003, 08:39 PM
I also made this tonight, and we really liked it as well. It was quite easy to make, and very filling. I'll probably make it again in the future.

JustKi
12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Sounds good, can't wait to try it!!