PDA

View Full Version : Any subs for mustard?

Vicanddi
10-26-2003, 08:06 AM
If I have asked this before, please forgive me, as it is early and my brain is mushy! :D

Does anyone know of any tried/true subs for mustard? I looked at the food sub website, and it wasn't overly helpful. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

Deanna
10-26-2003, 08:39 AM
It would probably depend on what you are making...can you share any details?

Vicanddi
10-26-2003, 08:41 AM
For anything, actually. My DH and I do not like mustard, in anything. We do not own any mustard. Mostly, it would be for savory entrees. For example, I found a recipe for a light chicken piccata that called for mustard to be mixed in with egg whites, and then the chicken was to be dunked in, and then into a breading.

I usually just omit the mustard, but I'm wondering if there is something I can sub for it, as often it is a sour counterpart to some of the recipes other ingredients. Any other mustard dislikers out there who have this same problem?

Help!!!!:D :D

valchemist
10-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Deanna
It would probably depend on what you are making...can you share any details?

I agree. I think that was the general consensus in the last thread. If mustard is a main componenet, forget it (obviously). But if there is just a little of it, you may be able to leave it out or find something else depending on the recipe.

editing...
oops. I was posting at the same time...
I'm no help, since I love mustard.

Deanna
10-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Most prepared mustard adds a bit of heat and a bit of vinegar.

Might horseradish work? A splash of vinegar?

It will be interesting to see if any other "mustard haters" have suggestions...this is a new one!

good luck

d

Vicanddi
10-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Based on Deanna's suggestions....would lemon juice work?

mrswaz
10-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Depending on your tastes, and what the recipe calls for, you could maybe sub mayonnaise or aiole. Or as other mentioned horseradish, or wasabi maybe. As far as sandwiches and spreads go- maybe a salad dressing that you really like?

All the searches I've done just come up with subbing dry mustard for prepare, and vice-versa. :confused:

Vicanddi
10-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Guess we're just out of luck, because we really don't like any of those things! Talk about picky people, huh?! :D We actually have dry bread for sandwiches, and like it. I'm sure I'm grossing everyone out by now... It's like we were made for each other! :D

I'm usually looking for a sub when it comes to making a marinade, or for a rub for meat. Perhaps I could try lemon juice or vinegar, as someone mentioned. We don't care for horseradish or wasabi. Any other thoughts?

I'm wondering if I'm the only mustard disliker around here.....