PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Ragout

bobmark226
10-28-2003, 04:55 AM
After I mentioned this as last night's dinner here, a couple of you asked for it. It's really unique and unquestionably delicious. Be sure to have a good crusty dinner bread ready for dunking, as there is lots of cranberry piquant gravy. (It's a bit more liquid than a traditional beef stew.) I don't know the original source, as I got it from a long time online friend; several in our e-mail loop have made it; everyone loves it.

BOB, who still "owes" a gingerbread recipe

Alison's Cranberry Ragout

1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP olive oil
2 lbs. lean stew beef (I use chuck)
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
3/4 cup port or red wine
3/4 cup beef stock
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP tomato paste
1 - 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 TBSP flour

Melt butter with oil in dutch oven and brown meat well on all sides. Stir in onions, garlic, s & p. Add mushrooms, wine, stock, vinegar and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for two hours or until meat is tender.

Meanwhile, pick over and rinse the cranberries. Coarsely chop them in a food processor with the brown sugar and flour. Add to the ragout and simmer for ten more minutes.

beckms
10-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Oh yum, this sounds great! Could you describe the taste a bit? Is it like a sweet-n-sour stew, or more savory like traditional beef stew?

thanks! :)

bobmark226
10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by beckms
Could you describe the taste a bit? Is it like a sweet-n-sour stew, or more savory like traditional beef stew?

thanks! :)

Hmmmm. Tough question. I think I used the word "piquant" to describe it originally and that fits. While the cranberries add a distinct tart note, I can't say the brown sugar adds any real sweetness. Also, the quantity of beef, mushrooms, wine and stock give it a distinct beefy taste.

Hope that helps!

BOB

Terrytx
10-28-2003, 11:50 AM
pssst Bob, don't forget the Apple upside down cake, please

bobmark226
10-28-2003, 11:54 AM
I haven't forgotten, Terry, not at all. I just need to find the magazine, which is in some pile somewhere. I swore I was going to start xeroxing favorite recipes and adding them to a binder I started recently for print-out recipes, but the call of the kitchen is always greater than the call of organizing!

BOB

Terrytx
10-28-2003, 12:21 PM
okay-it was just a reminder-Thanks:D

mrswaz
10-28-2003, 01:42 PM
BOB-

Thanks so much for sharing! It sounds great- and right up DH's alley!

Randi R
10-28-2003, 05:35 PM
oh now i know what to make for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks bob, this sounds just wonderful...