PDA

View Full Version : When does parmesan cheese go bad?

rinsav
11-06-2003, 01:01 PM
I want to make the herbed chicken parmesan for dinner tonight but just looked at my container of parmesan cheese (Digiorno shredded) and it says "sell by October 13." However, it smells normal and has no mold in it. Should I still make a stop to get some more or do you think it will be okay? Thanks!

avariell
11-06-2003, 01:11 PM
i was raised with a mother who would just cut the new mold off of cheese and feed it to us.. so i suppose i need some sort of disclaimer before i tell you to go ahead and use it... so there-- youve been warned :)

if there isn't anything furry on it and it smells like cheese, use it. cheese is mold afterall...

Gail
11-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Yes, the mold is a minor issue, easily removed. However, if your parmesan hangs around long enough, it will eventually get REALLY hard to grate. Keep it as long as you've got the muscles-- it'll still taste fine-- but when you start having to lie down after grating, buy a new piece. :)

rinsav
11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. Actually, I'm bad and didn't buy totally fresh parmesan (I know, I should have...:o ) I have the pre-shredded Digiorno brand that's in a small round container. I don't suppose that makes any difference though, right?

ljt2r
11-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't know about parmesan, but my asiago has lasted forever. However, I would add for future reference that if you don't use your cheese up very fast you are better off buying solid and grating yourself. It will stay fresher longer that way (and taste fresher for each individual dish). My mom also just cut the mold off the cheese, but I think if I found mold in pre-shredded cheese, I would probably toss it. It's too hard to check all of the individual shreds.

ISAIAH30_18
11-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Mine has gotten hard (the pre-shredded kind) way before it was too old to eat. I'm with others...if it's the right color and feels ok (not like raw rice) it's ok to eat.

Mamasue
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Gail
Yes, the mold is a minor issue, easily removed. However, if your parmesan hangs around long enough, it will eventually get REALLY hard to grate. Keep it as long as you've got the muscles-- it'll still taste fine-- but when you start having to lie down after grating, buy a new piece. :)

but when it gets to this point...don't throw away....save and add it to soup or tomato sauce. ;)

schuh
11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
I buy the pre-grated sometimes. Parmesan tastes really nasty just before it gets moldy. If it tastes ok, I think it will be ok.

JulieM
11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
I had some grated parmesan that I'd purchased from Wild Oats a few weeks ago. Last week I took it out to sprinkle on pizza and it smelled like really bad BO and tasted nasty. I threw it away. (Should have taken it back to Wild Oats!)

Gail
11-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Mamasue

but when it gets to this point...don't throw away....save and add it to soup or tomato sauce. ;)

Good point.

avariell
11-06-2003, 09:14 PM
My mom also just cut the mold off the cheese, but I think if I found mold in pre-shredded cheese

that's probably because we have the same mom you dork! ;)