PDA

View Full Version : ISO sweet potato side for T-Giving

lisas3575
11-07-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm on the hunt for a side dish for a friend-- she wants to make a sweet potato side that doesn't have added sugar or marshmallows, as she's limiting her sugar intake. Got any tried and true savory recipes?

I sent her Maureen's scalloped potatoes (which are still in my to try pile :o :o :o), and will also mention just roasting chunks of taters. Mmmm.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Scalloped Potatoes

Recipe By : Healing Kitchen staff, Kima BB
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 garlic clove -- peeled and halved
1 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes -- peeled, thinly slice
1 pound sweet potatoes -- peeled, thinly slice
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Rub a 9" x 13" glass or ceramic baking dish with the garlic and discard garlic. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook white and sweet potatoes 5 minutes; drain.

2. In medium saucepan, whisk milk into flour until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, for 4 minutes or until sauce is lightly thickened and no floury taste remains.

3. Arrange an overlapping layer of white and sweet potatoes in baking dish. Scatter 2 tablespoons of onions and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan on top. Arrange another layer of potatoes over onions. Scatter 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and remaining 2 tablespoons onions on top. Make a final layer of potatoes and pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan evenly over the top.

4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce is piping hot.

Makes 6 servings

Per serving: 264 calories, 6.1g total fat, 3.8g saturated fat, 1.7g monounsaturated fat, 0.3g polyunsaturated fat, 3.5g dietary fiber, 10g protein, 43g carbohydrate, 20mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium
Good source of: beta-carotene, vitamin B6, calcium.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 270 Calories; 6g Fat (21% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 20mg Cholesterol; 488mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat

NOTES : Rich and creamy without the cream, by the Healing Kitchen staff

_____

badunnin
11-07-2003, 12:46 PM
:D :D :D (This is my way of saying "ditto")

sneezles
11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I love sweet potatoes with chipotles but I know everyone doesn't care for spicy but you don't miss the sugar in this one at all! And I've never adjusted the recipe so I don't know if changing the cream for evaporated skim would work or not.

" Sweet Potato Gratin with Smoked Chiles "

This dish is close to aphrodisical. As it bakes, the heavy cream is absorbed by the potatoes, so the gratin is firm, not creamy or soupy. The chipotle pepper adds a surprising jolt of spice.

Ingredients:

4 cups heavy cream
1 canned chipotle pepper
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a blender, puree the cream and chipotle until smooth.

In a 10x10 inch casserole, arrange a fourth of the sweet potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper, and pour a fourth of the cream over all. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cream, forming 4 layers. May be prepared up to this point one half-hour ahead, covered, and refrigerated.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the cream has been absorbed and the potatoes are browned. May be prepared up to 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.

To serve, reheat in a 350 F. oven for 12 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Adapted from Bold American Food by Bobby Flay.

nlh
11-07-2003, 01:03 PM
A few years back Martha Stewart had a recipe for Cuban Sweet Potatoes that are absolutely fabulous. It's not a sweet dish at all. Actually, the way we make it, it turns a bit garlicky! I bring this to Thanksgiving every year as it transports well & doesn't need refrigeration really. Here's the gist of the recipe. I've made it so much it's in my head.

Cuban Sweet Potatoes

Slice a couple of sweet potatoes into 1/2" rounds toss with olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper and place on a baking sheet (I coat it with spray too). Roast at 400 for 15 minutes, turn and roast an additional 10-15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through but still firm. Cool on baking rack.

After potatoes cool, toss with about 1/4 C. chopped parsley, a minced garlic clove (or 2, depending on the amount of taters you used), and a couple TBS of lime juice. Adjust seasoning and enjoy!

This seems to taste best at room temperature. I will consult Martha's original recipe when I get home and make sure my proportions are correct but I think they're pretty close.

KristinK
11-07-2003, 01:47 PM
What about simple roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned with just salt and pepper? Simple and delicious, without any flavors to compete with the rest of the meal.

magpie
11-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm one of those people who always thought they hated sweet potatoes because I grew up with those icky sweet casseroles with all the brown sugar and mini-marshmallows. It's only in recent years that I've discovered how good this vegetable can be!

One of the best sweet potato dishes I've made is also fairly simple: I cut sweet potatoes, carrots and rutabaga into matchstick pieces and saute them together with lots of butter, salt and pepper. The flavors of the three different vegetables go together so well.

(Plus-- what doesn't taste good sauteed with butter, salt and pepper? LOL)

pinky
11-07-2003, 02:40 PM
in the martha stewart everyday food magazine this month, theres a bunch of sweet potato recipes-both savory and sweet - i believe theres a sweet potato and spinach dish, a sweet potato puree with different options of flavorings - one is a maple butter, one is lime with some sort of chili or spice, and i think the other one is orange ginger. if you like, ill type them up in the morning when i return home. ;)

greysangel
11-07-2003, 04:06 PM
I would love to see the one with spinach pinky!!

Please please and thank you! :D

JeAnne

MandMs
11-07-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm a newbie and saw this thread and just had to join in. I have a recipe that we made last year for t-day that was amazing...and easy! It was simply thick slices of sweet potato tossed with olive oil and whole cloves of garlic and some other herbs and seasonings (I think rosemary was one)and baked. The smell while this was in the oven was...unbelievably yummy! When done, you can take the garlic cloves (now roasted and very tasty), put them in a bowl and spread it on crackers or bread as a yummy appetizer while the turkey is finishing. I have the actual recipe at home and can type it up for you tomorrow if you'd like. This is my new favorite way to eat sweet potatoes.

knunes
11-07-2003, 04:37 PM
MandMS,
That sounds yummy. If you could post the recipe, I'd appreciate it. Katie

P.S. And by the way, welcome to the board! :)

MandMs
11-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome, knunes! I figure after lurking for over a year and printing darn near 500 recipes off this board, I should join in and atleast say thanks. I've gotten great tips and read some incredibly inspiring stories. I feel like I know all of you in some way. What a cool place!

I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

ljt2r
11-07-2003, 11:11 PM
I too prefer my sweet potatos salty and savory. I have a recipe out of a spice cookbook that I really like:

2 lbs sweet potatos
1/4 cup butter (I use Land'oLakes light)
3 tble oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tble syrup from ginger jar (I left out)
salt and cayenne pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme plus some springs to garnish

Peel and chop potatoes into cubes. Melt butter and oil in frying pan and add potato cubes and fry, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, ginger and allspice, and cook for additional 5 minutes. Stir in remaining spices and syrup if used and stir 1-2 minutes more. Then serve.

Knowing me (I never follow recipes exactly), I left out the ginger; the allspice and thyme were crucial, I know I left out the syrup, and I am sure I added black pepper as well as cayenne. As far as fat, I probably used the minumum to keep from sticking plus some light butter for flavor at the beginning. I also probably used more salt.

Also, it probably took me longer than 15 minutes--does anyone else have this problem? Potatoes ALWAYS take longer to cook than a recipe claims for me!

pinky
11-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Just for you JeAnne!

Sauteed Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
Serves 4

1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cut 2 large sweet potatoes into cubes; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 8 - 10 minutes.

2. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder . Cook 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup each water and chopped red onion . Cook, stirring, until water evaporates and potatoes are tender and browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

3. In the same skillett, cook 1 1/2 pouns baby spinach in two batches, adding a second batch when the first wilts, 2 minutes. Drain; add to potatoes.

4. Stir in 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar ; season with coarse salt and ground pepper .

Sorry the format is a bit weird - I typed it straight from the magazine!