PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a stand alone freezer?

CindyWeightWatcher
11-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Do you have a freezer? Do you use it?
Is it upright or chest?
How many people do you generally cook for?

KathrynY
11-08-2003, 07:58 PM
We have a small (36" high, 3-shelves) upright stand-alone freezer that lives in our garage, and it's always full.

I use it to store my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker canisters, fresh frozen strawberries, cranberries, grocery store frozen foods on sale (mostly meats and veggies), tins of frozen meals (lasagnas, enchiladas), extra muffins and quick breads, and individual servings of frozen leftovers (soups, chilis, lasagnas - we reheat these for lunches).

I generally cook for four - there are only two of us but we like leftovers for lunches so it works out well. I always double muffin and quick bread recipes to have extras in the freezer, and freeze 9 x 13 lasagnas or enchiladas in 2 - 8 x 8 pans for our size family.

Cookin4Love
11-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I have a 17 cubic foot frost-free upright for the two of us. I didn't have one for a long time, even when the kids were still home. Then someone gave us an old freezer about the same size. It worked just long enough to convince me that I couldn't live without out. When it quit working properly, I went out and bought a new one the same week. In fairness, one whole shelf holds bags of ice, which we go through a lot of. I have one shelf for meats, the pullout drawer for frozen vegetables, and one shelf for foods that I've cooked, then frozen.

ande
11-08-2003, 09:51 PM
We got one a few months ago & filled it right up! Now I can't imagine life without it. There are three of us (me, DH & 3 year old son) and ours is ~7 cubic feet. It's full of baked goods, balls of frozen cookie dough, storebought frozen stuff (pizza, big bags of tortellini, veggie burgers/corndogs/chicken) for all those days I can't get anything else on the table, extra bags of frozen veggies & loaves of bread. Almost half the freezer is used for baking supplies--whole-grain flours, grains, seeds, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips.

lhall
11-09-2003, 06:27 AM
I have a chest freezer. It's right outside the kitchen in the garage. I normally cook for 4, but having a chest freezer supports my baking habit.

I store flour, meats, baking products, herbs & spices and cooked food in it. I have some pumpkin, soup, and cookie dough in there now. Plus about 12 frozen bananas. :D

Leigh

breadmama
11-09-2003, 07:13 AM
We have an upright, frost-free freezer, bought before our first child was born. (10 yrs. ago). I use it for meat, veggies, fruits, soups, batches of muffins and quick breads, ready-to-eat WW entrees, frozen cider, and other overflow items from trips to Costco.

Between ziplock freezer bags and the Food Saver, I make good use of the freezer, but we still lose track of things in there sometimes. (That's why I'm looking for a pantry list to begin using!) I almost always make 24 muffins in a batch and freeze them in bags of 6; and do similar batch processing with quick breads and pots of soup.

I love to be able to pull things out and use them right away! I think I'm going to move towards freezing more prepared meals, because when I'm feeling uninspired about cooking dinner, I don't feel like using the frozen meat that awaits...but I would pull out something that I only had to defrost and then eat!

Vicanddi
11-09-2003, 07:28 AM
We have an upright freezer in our garage. I'm not sure of the size, but it's fairly big for our purposes. It has 4 shelves and a lot of door space. I just love it! I use it to store meat that I purchase in bulk, on sale, and then separate into dinner size portions. I also freeze bread in there. The primary purpose of our freezer is to hold chicken, turkey, beef, roasts, etc., until it's time for me to cook them. I don't know what I'd do without it, as our inside freezer is only moderately sized, and we like to stock up on meat.
In the past few months, I've been trying to be good about writing on the package what it is and the date it was put in the freezer. It sure helps cut down on mystery meat! :D

erinl
11-09-2003, 09:03 AM
We don't have one now--no room, but we're building a house in the suburbs and this is high on my list of things we need to get. (Behind refrigerator, washer, dryer and window coverings :D )

funnybone
11-09-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't have one and I don't want one. I have 3 refrigerators (42", 36" and 30") and I find them to be sufficient. The freezer basically contains ice cream, some frozen fruit, some leftover cheesecake and meat that I bought and didn't use right away. I never buy things to freeze as I am constantly going to the grocery store (but that's another thread :o :rolleyes: ;) )

Vicanddi
11-09-2003, 09:51 AM
Funnybone, where do you put all your refrigerators???

HRJ
11-09-2003, 09:57 AM
We have a small (5 cubic feet, I think?) chest freezer that we keep in a corner of our family room in the basement. (We don't have a garage). I cook for 3 now -- me, DH and DS -- but as you know, until recently it was just the two of us.

For the price, it was definitely a good purchase. (I paid about ($135 at Sears, I think). I find that I do save money stocking up on meat and poultry and other things when they're on sale. Equally important, it's convenient -- I like having all kinds of stuff on hand that I can pull out of the freezer and defrost in the microwave at the last minute, since I'm not very good at advance planning.

I keep most of the things that others have mentioned: meat; poultry; frozen vegetables and fruit; TJs frozen dinners; coffee beans (buy in bulk from Costco); pie crusts; ice-cream maker canister; butter (bulk from Costco); homemade apple sauce, tomato sauce and chicken stock; overripe bananas; buttermilk; fresh cranberries; orange juice and lemonade concentrate; nuts; chocolate chips for baking; yeast; chicken pot pies from Wilson Farms -- lots o'stuff.

I decided on a chest freezer (not frost-free) after reading previous threads on this board -- I forget all the reasons, but I believe it's more energy-efficient, for one thing. It's a little harder to get stuff in and out (as opposed to an upright), but I followed Wallycat's organizing suggestions (which involve using plastic storage bins) and it's not too difficult.

Helene

Kay Henderson
11-09-2003, 11:56 AM
I had a small upright manual defrost freezer in the garage the last 15 years or so that I taught.

Most Sunday nights of the school year I would make triple quantity of a favorite main dish, eat one dinner and freeze two. That way, I heated dinner rather than cooking it two nights a week.

Toward the end of the school year I would stop making the triple quantities and use up the remaining food. I would then turn off the freezer for Sacramento's scorching summer. This practice (along with having a manual defrost) helped to keep the cost of electricity within bounds.

Now retired, I still make some dishes (like stew) in quantity, but they are fewer, so I am able to get along with the freezer space in my side-by-side refrigerator-freezer. I find my previous habit of labeling and dating everything that goes into the freezer to be just as necessary now that I don't automatically empty everything once a year.

funnybone
11-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Vicanddi
Funnybone, where do you put all your refrigerators???

This is the first time I have had three - I've always had two though. This is the first time they are in the garage, as I have always kept the spare in the basement. I thought it would be more convenient to keep them in the garage because I can put things in there as soon as I shop. I just hope they can survive the IL winters. :D

Gail
11-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Like Erika, I have three fridges (but on a much smaller scale.) For purposes of entertaining, I find it's refrigerator space I need (for half-finished and finished items waiting to be served.) I have enough problems with things disappearing into my freezer as it is right now, cannot conceive of wanting a second one.

Chiffonade
11-09-2003, 04:11 PM
You forgot "I don't have one but used to and want one again!"

I miss my stand-alone freezer :(.

karen w
11-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I have 2 refrigerators, one in the kitchen and a second one in the laundry room. The second fridge was bought since I have 3 kids along with myself who are all big milk drinkers. When you buy up to 4 gallons of milk at a time along with the big jugs of O.J. and A. J. it becomes hard to fit much else in one fridge. And to think my kids are not even big eaters YET! They are 7, 6, and 4 y.o., but my middle one(DS#2) could live off of milk. Anyway we also have a 17 cu. foot upright freezer in the basement that has meats, chicken , fish, bread, baked goods, all my whole grains, nuts, frozen veggies, butter, meals I've prepared and frozen, soups, stocks, etc, etc....you get the picture. DH convinced me when we bought the house to get a more energy efficient model. Ours is not frost free, but it has an automatic defrost button. You press it and the freezer defrosts in ~20 min. It really does a good job and fast, but it's still a pain since I have to empty the freezer to do it. If and when it goes, I think I'll switch to frost free. Since I use a food saver for so many things and try to keep a constant turnover of things, I'm not as concerned with the freezer burn.

Karen

donleyk
11-10-2003, 05:36 AM
We have a stand up in the garage. 4 shelves and door storage. Frost free. Bought it at Sears, I don't recall the cubic feet. DH hunts so we need somewhere for all that venison. We buy a lot of chicken breasts at once and have them vacuumed packed. I also keep cookies in there for a fast dessert when needed.

We also have a second fridge in the garage for beer and soda.

Jill123
11-10-2003, 12:46 PM
We have a medium-sized (can't remember c.f.) chest freezer in our basement.

There's only the two of us (DH and myself), so it's really handy when we buy in bulk -- we package up meat in smaller portions and freeze/store it in the stand-alone. Also good for other frozen foods.

It's really helped us save money by buying in bulk and not worrying about things going bad.

Goldie
11-10-2003, 01:25 PM
There are just 2 of us, but I have an upright frost-free freezer that is pretty big. It seems like I use it almost every day. I freeze individual servings of leftover main dishes in Glad Ware, and have even used the plastic Glad Ware baking dishes to freeze entire pans of lasagna and such - can come in really handy when you are pressed for time. Plus I buy all my meat on sale and keep it in the freezer. I also make a lot of my dog's food and training treats in large batches and freeze it. Bags of ice are nice to have on hand especially in the summer months.

I have a question for anyone out there who has frozen milk - I noticed someone saying they had an extra fridge for milk. Could you keep milk in the freezer all right? Does it change the consistency or anything at all? Seems like that is one thing we are always having to run to the store for.

LaraW
11-10-2003, 01:52 PM
We have a stand alone freezer that is down in the basement. It was a freebie from DH's great aunt when she moved out of her house, and I am really just now getting used to using it. I have been stocking it for while I am on my maternity leave, and have filled it with things like marinara sauce, meatloaf, some baked pasta dishes, etc.

I have been a little leary of putting too much in it, in case it dies, but if it does I would replace it in a heartbeat.

ellamay
11-10-2003, 02:16 PM
We have an upright stand-alone freezer in our laundry room. It's just the two of us right now, but we work a lot and being able to have frozen ravioli, tortellini, vegetables and pizza is a godsend for us. I like the taste of frozen vegetables much better than canned -- of course I prefer fresh, but when you both work 50-60 hours a week some weeks, sometimes it's hard to get to the store on a given night. We hit Costco once a month and load up on frozen stuff, plus I will periodically make big batches of muffins or banana bread and stick them in there. We also use it to store ice and frozen appetizer-type food when we have parties. I don't ever want to be without one again now that I've had one.

edited to say: We paid about $120 for ours, brand-new, from an appliance liquidator. It's not frost-free and that's the only thing I don't like, although defrosting it wasn't terribly painful the last time I did it.

Sami
11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
An upright frost free that has been in service for 12 years. It sits in a storage room in my basement next to another refrigerator (in use for 30 years and bought to take with us to Malta). Originally, there were 5 here and I was buying a 1/4 of a cow from the co-op. Now it is stuffed with all the leftovers I have when I cook for me. I am trying to get better about making things and using them, rather than freezing. But is handy when I have big groups of people for a dinner, which I do fairly regularly.

Sami

karen w
11-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Goldie

I have a question for anyone out there who has frozen milk - I noticed someone saying they had an extra fridge for milk. Could you keep milk in the freezer all right? Does it change the consistency or anything at all? Seems like that is one thing we are always having to run to the store for.

I was the one that bought a second fridge because we buy so much milk each week. When my kids were a little younger and it was more difficult to get to the store for the "milk" emergencies, we did freeze some. I froze both skim and whole. I never had a problem with freezing milk. Once in awhile it would separate slightly(especially whole milk), but I'd give it a little shake when thawed and it tasted just fine. Worked fine to cook with as well. I tend not to freeze it as much anymore since now my kids go through the 3-4 gallons we buy each week, so what's the purpose of freezing it, if I'm just going to defrost it in a few days! Now that they are a little older and in school, I have an easier time getting to the store if I need to as well.

Karen

Bakerwoman
11-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I have an 11 cubic foot frost free upright. I belong to a food co-op, and get an order once a month. The meat portion of the food is frozen, so having a freezer has been handy.

The way that supermarkets sell certain things, like ice cream, is often "buy one, get one free." Having two sons that love ice cream, I was always trying to figure out if I had enough available freezer space to take advantage of the deal. Now, I don't have to worry.

I can also stock up on blueberries for baking throughout the year and freeze them in August when they were available for .99 a pint.

Having a freezer and belonging to the food co-op has also helped me to cut down on my major grocery shopping trips. I do, however, like fresh produce, fruit, vegetables, and bread, so I still usually go a few times a week to the local store.

buddie
11-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Do you have a freezer? Do you use it?

YES AND I AM SO GLAD I GOT IT.. I CAN'T IMAGINE THAT I WENT WITHOUT IT SO LONG

Is it upright or chest?

UPRIGHT 12CUBIC FT FROSTLESS... FRIDIGAIRE I BELIEVE (WILL HAVE TO DOUBLE CHECK THAT)

How many people do you generally cook for?

HUBBY, DD(2), SS WHO IS HERE HALF THE TIME AND ME... PLUS BABY ON THE WAY.. I USE IT FOR EXTRA BREAD, STORING JAMS, FROZEN FRESH BERRIES I PICK IN THE SUMMER, BULK STUFF FROM COSTCO AND I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD FILL IT UP AND I DID!!!

sneezles
11-11-2003, 09:30 AM
I have 2 stand alone upright freezers. One is frost-free and is in the laundry room, it contains flours, frozen snack foods for the DSs, some leftovers and meats. The other one is not frost-free and is about 20 years old (and looks every day of it! :p ). It is a pain in the arse! It has spent it's life in one garage or another and I know now why manufacturers say this is a bad idea. It needs defrosting about every 3 months (including right now). It contains only uncooked meat and has a cinder block in front of it to make sure it stays closed!
I also have 2 freezers attached to the 2 fridges in the house plus the 2 little ones in the 2 other houses on the ranch (and I have used all of them at the same time for parties! :eek: ).
Would love to get rid of the older upright and replace it with a chest type.

CindyWeightWatcher
11-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Thank you all for your well thought out comments on
stand alone freezers. As you can probably tell from
my poll, I am thinking about buying one. I thought
I might add to the comments here by telling you
that Sears Kenmore and Frigidaire are rated the
best by Consumer Reports. Neither were made in black,
the color of my washer and dryer (the freezer
would be located next to them). Lo and behold
Frigidaire just came out with a black 13.7 capacity
with alarm. Yeah!

ursula
11-13-2003, 08:40 AM
I would be lost without my freezer - I make "TV dinners" with all my leftovers and send them with my DH for lunches. But I also bake ahead a lot, buy meat in bulk, and often prepare stews, soups etc. ahead. And just to store the amount of ice cream that my DH and my DS go through . . .:rolleyes:

Leisa M
11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
We have a freezer DH's dad gave us. It is full, we have meat, soup, TV dinners, veggies, etc. in there, It is SO full that we can hardly find anything without pulling stuff out first.

I generally cook for 4 and send the leftovers w/DH for lunch.