PDA

View Full Version : Bunco

jmarie
11-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Anyone play it? What is it? I have friend in TX who gets together with a group of friends and plays this game once a month. I'm curious.

Melman
11-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Bunco is an extremely simple dice game. I think the real fun of playing Bunco isn't so much the game itself as the time you get to spend with (usually) 11 other women in a relaxed setting. There have been several topics about Bunco so you could get the perspective of lots of other people with a search of the bb.

Bunco has all kinds of various rules depending on the group. Different groups have different rules though they're basically the same with a twist. In a typical setting, you have 12 people playing the game. There are 3 tables with 4 people at each table. Each table is made up of 2 pairs...you take turns roling the three dice. You're scoring "points" depending on the roll of the dice.

There are usually 2 or 3 sets of 6 games each. (The number of sets depends on how much visiting and eating your specific group wants to do. :D) With the first game of each set, you're trying to roll "1's" on the dice. If you roll at least one "1", you get a point. If you get 2 "1's", you get 2 points. As long as the person rolling continues to roll at least one "1", the points keep getting added and that person continues to roll. Once no "1's" are rolled, the dice pass to the next person (who would be on the opposing team.)

If you get three "1's", that's called a Bunco and you get 21 points. Bunco's are usually rather rare.

Depending on the Bunco group, the games are controlled by the head table. In my group, the head table rings a bell to let everyone know to start rolling. They also end the game once they reach 21 points. The two other tables can go well beyond 21 points but they continue rolling until the head table rings the bell to end the game.

With each game, the points are added for each team. One team will will the game and mark a "win" on their score card (we usually use nametags and just keep the score on that.) At the end of the evening, different people win money. Oh yeah...we each contribute $5 for the prizes at the beginning of the game. The person who has the most wins will usually win $20, the 2nd place person will win an amount, the person with the fewest wins will win a smaller amount, and the person with the most Bunco's will win money. We also have a bottle of wine that wanders around during the evening as people roll Bunco's. (This can become entertaining as people try to hide the bottle, "lose" the bottle, etc. :D) The last person to roll a Bunco takes the bottle of wine home with her.

This is just a quick synopsis of the game. Other people will probably share some of their variations. It's just fun...simple...absolutely no skill needed other than being able to eat, chat, roll a dice, and maybe keep score (and if you can't do all that AND keep score, there are always three other people at the table to do that for you!!)

It's fun. It's definitely enjoyable. And you just never know what the topic of discussion will be at each table as you swap tables throughout the evening. :D (Whoops...I forgot to mention that as the games end, one pair will advance to the next table so you're not sitting with any one person very long.)

MusicMom
11-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Melman

Depending on the Bunco group, the games are controlled by the head table. In my group, the head table rings a bell to let everyone know to start rolling. They also end the game once they reach 21 points. The two other tables can go well beyond 21 points but they continue rolling until the head table rings the bell to end the game.

We play until all three tables reach 21. The losers from each table go to on to the next table and switch partners. Everyone chips in $5. The person with the most Buncos gets $25, the most wins gets $10, the most losses get $10, half wins/half losses gets $5 and a traveler gets $10. (the hostess picks an object that gets passed around to people who roll 3 of a designated number. The person who has the object at the end wins the "traveler" money)

We're in the Sterling area. PM me if you're nearby and think you'd like to try. I can let you know if we ever need a sub. It's a lot of fun and not competitive at all.

- Vivian

lhall
11-10-2003, 06:27 AM
And yet another variation. My group only requires $1.00, but we mostly play for fun.

We don't do 1's, but do 2's through 6's. If you roll 1's you lose all your points. If you roll 3 of the number you're working on (say 3 2's when rolling for 2's) that's a bunco. Also, we play until one team/table gets to 21, then everyone stops. You only get to count the win if your team gets 21. For the other tables, the team with the least points travels to a new table, and the team with the most points stays. You do to switch teammates after each table move.

We give money for Most Wins, Most Buncos, Most Points, and $1 for the player with the least points.

Leigh