PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks until Thanksgiving: menus, anyone?

kjh01
11-11-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm on the verge of finalizing mine - not huge, but not little, either!

Shrimp Cocktail as a early-afternoon munchie
Good Eats Roast Turkey - brine it, baby!
Make-Ahead Gravy
Sausage and Dried Fruit Stuffing (and some without fruit, for DH)
Roasted "Crysanthemum" Onions (epicurious - but I'll add some thyme to the dish too)
Green Bean Casserole (DH says it's not Thanksgiving without it :rolleyes: )
Truffled Mashed Potatoes
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
Parker House Rolls
Apple and Amaretto Tart

edited to read: I think I have finalized it...

what about you?

greysangel
11-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Heck yes!!!

Butternut, Goat Cheese, and Walnut Spread (I'm thinking with some veggies and then crostini/melba toasts/pita chips) 11/03

Lentil and Spinach Puffs with Plum-Date Dip 11/03

Spinach, Apple and Walnut Salad (old CL)11/03

Pumpkin Biscuits with Orange-Honey Butter 11/03
Garlic and Rosemary Cloverleaf Rolls 11/03

(Clay Pot) Brined Turkey with Creamy Maple Gravy CL 11/02)
Corn Bread, Sundried Tomato Sausage Savory Stuffing - old Martha Stewart recipe
Layered Mashed Potatoes with Duxelles cl 11/03
Mashed Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes cl 11/03
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallot Butter cl 11/03

Pumpkin Praline Tort CLBB
Pear Cranberry Crisp or Streusel Topped Pear Pie - Cl/11/03

greysangel
11-11-2003, 08:28 AM
oh and cranberry relish - I think I'm going with a recipe from last year's Cl

j

lhall
11-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Pretty Traditional,

I'm going to try AB's Brined Turkey this year, cornbread dressing, pumpkin pie, homemade gravy, homemede rolls. I think I'll get my SIL to bring a sweet potato casserole. She wants to bring something and a sweet potatoe casserole with marshmallows (ICK to me) is preferrable to green bean casserole (my kids don't like green bean casserole).

I haven't figured anything else out yet, but will probably add a vegetable and a salad. I'll probably serve a red & white wine as SIL doesn't like red wine.

Leigh

sneezles
11-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Well, I haven't even begun to think of Thanksgiving menu since I'm making tamale dinner for 200 on Saturday. The friend who was suppose to help with this has decided to stay out of town until Saturday afternoon! Guess that gives a new definition to the word "friend"!!! :( Fortunately, the tamales are made and in the freezer so it's just the shopping, beans, rice, queso, and tacos plus all the trimmings & decorating that's left to do ... :rolleyes: ...not sure we'll be doing this again!

But both of your menus sound wonderful and I will definitely be getting some ideas from this thread! ;)

Chocolate Rose
11-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Well, my menu looks very dull compared to the rest of yours.:)

We pretty much make the same thing every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's my mom's menu and it's been the same for about the last 30 years. The hat was passed down to me about 5 years ago to make the holiday meals and I'm just sticking with my mom's menu. It's OK though, because everyone likes it. It's tradition. :D

I am adding a couple of new (to me) recipes to try. We're going to have a small group on Thursday (probably just 8 but it seems to keep growing) and then an additional 8 will show up on Friday. There go the leftovers.:D

Here's our menu:

Snacks during the day-
Pumpkin Cheese Ball with Crackers (new)
Sun-Dried Tomato Dip with raw veggies (new)
Christmas Meatballs (this isn't a definite yet but I made these last year and they were a huge hit)

Dinner:
Turkey
Spiral Ham
Dressing - my mom's version of Pepperidge Farms (no added fat) (I'm going to try cooking the extra dressing in the crockpot rather than the oven as was suggested on another thread)
Mashed Potatoes (I was in charge of mashing the potatoes when I was younger - until one time when I had too much wine and the potatoes ended up on my mom's kitchen ceiling. I was immediately put on gravy duty)
Gravy
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole (new)(I didn't think I liked sweet potatoes so always refused to make a casserole. A new family member has brought a casserole the last several years - the sickly sweet kind - but she won't be here this year so I'm trying this recipe.)
Green Bean Casserole (yes this is THE green bean casserole that has been around for years. Just wouldn't be the holidays without it.) :rolleyes:
Linda's Cranberry Sauce (new) (I've never liked cranberry sauce, but, my ex-bil's girlfriend brought the sauce last year and I LOVED it. It's an almond flavored sauce that is great. So, I got the recipe from her before they broke up I will make this sauce. Usually we have sauce out of the can.)
Rolls
Overnight Layered Green Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Fudge Pecan Pie
Chocolate-Topped Peanut Butter Mousse Cake(new) (dh's birthday is in November so we celebrate it with my family at Thanksgiving. This will be his birthday cake this year)

Sneezles, good luck with your dinner Saturday!! It sounds fun but that's rotten that your friend let you down!!:eek:

Gecko
11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I didn't find a lot of recipes that interested me in magazine this year (can't say about CL as I haven't received Nov as yet). So I am going with the familiar.

Turkey (haven't decided how to do this yet)
Gravy (also undecided)
Potatoes Dauphinoise or Potato Gratin With Gruyere and Creme Fraiche
Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
Green Beans with Pecans, Lemon, and Parsley
Corn (my kids have said that there MUST be corn-undecided how it will appear as yet)
Apple Pecan Corn Bread Dressing
Cranberry Sauce with Port and Orange
Mom's Pumpkin Pie
Gingerbread Pecan Tart

I am looking forward to the leftovers as I always cook too cook for just our family of 6.

erinl
11-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I don't get to cook much for Thanksgiving:( . MIL hosts and the big assignments don't change over the years. So, even though Aunt brings store bought dessert, it's her thing. I've been hasseling MIL for a couple of weeks now to let me know what she'll need me to bring, but I don't know yet. We have our assignments for Christmas Eve already, but Thanksgiving:rolleyes: .

HDgirl
11-11-2003, 11:10 AM
This is how it looks so far.

Shrimp cocktail
spiced cashews
one more (undecided)

Roasted Turkey (SIL= gig)
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry Sauce

Fried Turkey (me)
Oyster stuffing
Praline Sweet Potato Casserole
Zin. Cranberries

Salad (undecided)
Parker House rolls

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
Pumpkin Pie (undecided)

That should be about it. My SIL= and I split everything up to cook. It works out well. Frying the turkey is DH= job. Keeps him and all the men folk outside!

HDgirl
11-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh, and a vegetable which is undecided.

MISSINDI
11-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Gecko
I didn't find a lot of recipes that interested me in magazine this year (can't say about CL as I haven't received Nov as yet). So I am going with the familiar.

Turkey (haven't decided how to do this yet)
Gravy (also undecided)
Potatoes Dauphinoise or Potato Gratin With Gruyere and Creme Fraiche
Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
Green Beans with Pecans, Lemon, and Parsley
Corn (my kids have said that there MUST be corn-undecided how it will appear as yet)
Apple Pecan Corn Bread Dressing
Cranberry Sauce with Port and Orange
Mom's Pumpkin Pie
Gingerbread Pecan Tart

I am looking forward to the leftovers as I always cook too cook for just our family of 6.

Can you pass on the Potato recipes? They sound right up my alley!

Haven't really started planning yet, but getting there. So far, have:
DH makes the turkey -- debating about frying it outside this year.
Spiral ham
Jack Daniels Sweet Potato Casserole
Pumpkin Praline Cake (absolutely delish, and EZ as they come)

Gecko
11-11-2003, 04:12 PM
This was generously brought to my attention and posted by Ema on Gail's Recipe Swap.

Potato Gratin With Gruyere and Creme Fraiche.

The recipe is from the Bon Appetit Nov. 2002 issue. If you COMN there's also a picture at the Epi. site. Enjoy!

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=107310&kw=potato+gratin+with+gruyere+and+creme+fraiche&action=filtersearch&

(click on the camera)

POTATO GRATIN WITH GRUYERE AND CREME FRAICHE

Just four ingredients add up to a rich and delicious side dish. Once the potatoes are sliced, the gratin comes together quickly and then bakes unattended for about an hour and 15 minutes.

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into
1/8-inch-thick rounds
1 1/2 cups crème fraîche,* stirred to loosen
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated Gruyère cheese(about 6 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange half of potato slices in bottom of prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread half of crème fraîche over potatoes and sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining potatoes, overlapping slightly; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread with remaining crème fraîche;
sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake gratin uncovered 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Continue to bake gratin until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

* Available at some supermarkets. If unavailable, heat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream to lukewarm (85°F). Remove from heat and mix in 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Cover and let stand in warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room. Chill until ready to use.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit
November 2002

Gecko
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
I make this one from memory but I will get the recipe just in case I miss something.

ande
11-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Linda's Cranberry Sauce (new) (I've never liked cranberry sauce, but, my ex-bil's girlfriend brought the sauce last year and I LOVED it. It's an almond flavored sauce that is great. So, I got the recipe from her before they broke up I will make this sauce. Usually we have sauce out of the can.)

Would you mind sharing this recipe? Cranberry sauce is one of those things I like a little of & nobody else eats, so I'm always looking for different recipes so I'll get my little cranberry fix without it kicking around in the fridge until Easter!:)

Thanks!

Chocolate Rose
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Ande, here you go. I think it looks pretty straight forward.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Linda's Cranberry Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces, Marinades, & Gravies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 ounces fresh whole cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla

Boil sugar and juice. Add cranberries and simmer 10 minutes. Add the zest, extracts, and cinnamon during the last minute. Pour into a container and let cool to room temperature; refrigerate. Makes 2 cups.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Krystal
11-11-2003, 05:08 PM
This is the first year that I'll be making dinner! My menu is pretty basic, but I'll probably add things on as the day gets closer!

Roast turkey - did anyone watch American Test Kitchens where they removed the backbone to flatten the turkey for brining?

Potatoes - a cheesy gratin dish and mashed potatoes
green beans - Haricot Verts are my new favorite!
Rolls - still not sure about this one
Stuffing - using a Martha Stewart recipe
gravy

Desserts:

T.J.'s pumpkin mousse cake - Someone here on the board recommended this, I can't wait to try it!
Chocolate - molten cakes with mint ice cream. I might actually serve this on another day

That's it so far!

Kingwell
11-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Mine is still coming together, but I thought I'd share what I have so far...parts of it are pretty unchangeable, like mashed potatoes, mom's waldorf salad (which is truly the best I've ever had--my grandmother came up with the recipe. The sauce is pineapple juice and corn starch, among other things, so none of that fruit-with-mayo theme I'm not fond of), and basic stuffing with added onions and celery, but beyond that I'm on my own.

Turkey--considering doing Sage-Roasted Turkey Breast. Saw it advertised as a recipe Williams Sonoma is teaching this month at the mall, and I found the recipe on their web site.

Whipped sweet potatoes with carmelized apples--I have been wanting to try this since I saw it in Martha Stewart about two years ago.

Bread--waiting until I try the CL Nov '03 Rosemary Garlic Cloverleaf rolls tomorrow night. If they turn out well, I'll try those.

Dessert--every year I insist on making a pumpkin pie from scratch, and this year I might also make a cake. There are so many good options finding their way to me lately.

Other possibles:
Curried carrot soup (saw it on Rachael Ray recently)
Kale greens

Gecko
11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
This is a recipe I clipped from an Australian recipes, thus the metric measurements. I'll try my best to show conversions, I know some look a little strange.

1 kg potatoes (2.2 lbs-I usually use about 3 large ones)
butter
125g sharp cheese, grated (4.4 ozs)
1 egg
1 1/4 cups whipping cream (1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (4 teaspoons)
salt, pepper, nutmeg

Peel potatoes and slice thinly. Butter a shallow, oveproof dish, and fill with alternate layers of sliced potatoes, cheese and seasonings. Beat the egg with the cream and pour over the potatoes. Finish with parmesan cheese and bake in a moderate oven (350F) for about 1 hour, until potatoes are tender and the top is golden and crispy.

The recipe doesn't state the serving size but it easily serves my family of 6, with some leftovers.

keg64
11-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Everyone's menus sound so wonderful! It makes it hard though because I want to start swapping my planned dishes for one of yours:) But this is my plan:

Rosemary Roasted Cashews
Lindrusso's Spinach Balls with Mustard
Sage Roasted Turkey with Carmelized Onions
Sage Gravy
Stuffing with Portabella Mushrooms
Brussels Sprouts with pearl onions, button mushrooms, and balsamic browned butter
Sweet Potato Pie with Hazelnut Streusel

Oh, and I also asked for wine suggestions here (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=533763#post533763)

Kim

oskie
11-12-2003, 05:35 AM
Chocolate Rose - when you get a chance could you post the recipe for the layered green salad?

My office does a Thanksgiving dinner on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and we never seem to have enough veggies (too tough with only a few microwaves around to re-heat stuff)

TIA

Laura
11-12-2003, 07:55 AM
My kids and I are going to be with my dad for Thanksgiving. Since this is the first Thanksgiving since my mom passed away, I am going to make the things she would have made. Also, my dad is not one to try new fangled menu items. So with that

Roast Turkey (I will see if he will go with me brining it)
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Broccoli puff (a very yummy broccoli and cheese casserole)
Lemon jello with apples and walnuts (traditional with my mom)
cranberry sauce
and pumpkin pie.

Kingwell
11-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Keg64--Would you mind sharing your recipe for sage gravy? What is the source for your sage-roasted turkey?

Thanks,
Kristin

adrianna!!
11-12-2003, 09:30 AM
I love hearing about everyone's menus!!
here is mine:
Baked Bried En Croute (Paula Deen foodtv.com)
Mississippi Caviar (black eyed pea dip)
Purcashed Tuna Stuffed Peppers and assorted olives (Flora brand, from the grocery store)

Turkey cooked outside on the charcoal grill (DH's job)
Make Ahead Turkey Gravy (no drippings when grilled outside)
My mom's famous deluxe mac and cheese
Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing (Cook's Illustrated)
Sweet Potato and Apple casserole topped with granola
Broccoli Salad
Homemade Cranberry Chutney

Sheet cake (yellow cake baked with cherry pie filling and marshmallows...sounds weird but is good)
Pecan Pumpkin Pie (Nov 03 Gourmet magazine

I used to knock myself out with doing desserts, but I found most "normal" people do not want to pig out on desserts after such a big meal. Of course my mother and I do, but we are trying to watch our weight!

Sheila in MD
11-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by adrianna!!

Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing (Cook's Illustrated)

Anybody have this recipe easily accessible? If yes-can you please post? I have used a Jimmy Dean recipe for a number of years but am always on the lookout for others. Thanks!

Sheila in MD

Vicanddi
11-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Is this the right one?

Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage

Cornbread, sausage, and a little bit of bourbon give this stuffing a country flavor. One cup of chopped dried fruit may be added to the mix if you desire a little sweetness. Makes about 12 cups.

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb sweet sausage, casings removed and crumbled
1-2 Tbsp butter, if necessary
4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 c bourbon
2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsp minced fresh sage leaves
12 c dried, crumbled cornbread
1 3/4 c turkey or chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten
1 c pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tsp salt (assuming a brined bird)
Pepper

Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet and fry the sausage over medium-high heat until the meat loses its raw color, 5-7 minutes; remove with slotted spoon to a small bowl. If necessary, add enough butter to the rendered sausage fat to equal 3 Tbsp. Add the onions and celery; saute until softened, 7-8 minutes. Add the bourbon, thyme, and sage; boil until the bourbon is almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Mix with all the remaining ingredients, including the sausage and salt and pepper to taste, in a large microwave-safe bowl.

Cornbread

2 c yellow or white cornmeal
2 c AP flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 c buttermilk
1 1/3 c milk
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan

Adjust the oven rack to the center position and heat to 425 degrees. Grease two 9x9x2-inch metal pans.

Stir the cornmeal, flour, powder, soda, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Push the dry ingredients up the side of the bowl to make a well.

Crack the eggs into the well and stir them lightly with a wooden spoon. Add the buttermilk and milk to the eggs. Stir the wet and dry ingredients quickly until almost combined. Add the melted butter; stir until the ingredients are just combined.

Divide the batter between the greased pans. Bake until the top is golden brown and lightly cracked and the edgs have pulled away from the sides of the pans, about 25 minutes.

Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool slightly, 5-10 minutes. Cut the cornbread into squares and remove from pans. Each pan will yield about 8 c crumbled cornbread, when dried. For use in stuffing, spread the squares in a single layer on a baking sheet and dry in a 225 degree oven for 25-40 minutes; cool and coarsely crumble.

Source: Cook's Illustrated Complete Book of Poultry

keg64
11-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Kingwell
Keg64--Would you mind sharing your recipe for sage gravy? What is the source for your sage-roasted turkey?Thanks,
Kristin

Kristin, I noticed it on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47246&highlight=Carmelized) and after reading the comments, just had to try it! Kim

Tizzylish
11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Here is what is on deck for our house:

Thanksgiving Day:

Appetizers: {since it will be an hour or longer before dinner}
Shrimp cocktail
Spinach dip in a bread bowl {Knorr Recipe}
Veggie platter

Salad:
Spinach salad w/ warm bacon dressing

Main dish:
Alan’s deep fried cajun turkey {BIL’s recipe and contribution}
Good Eats Roast Turkey {Alton Brown, Food TV}
Make ahead gravy {Woman’s Day mag recipe}

Sides:
Mom’s tradition bread “filling” {Mom’s making}
Mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole {my sisters request, the only time of year I eat it}
Glazed pearl onions {Martha Stewart recipe}
Buttered Sweet Corn {for the green veggie hating crowd}
Jellied cranberry {yup, the canned kind!}
Homemade cranberry
Whipped sweet potatoes, not sure which topping I will put on them yet.
CL's rosemary and garlic clover leaf rolls {making them this weekend and freezing them}
Cornbread muffins {making this weekend and freezing, then rewarming T-day}

Desserts are still up in the air, we usually have 4 different ones because everyone feels compelled to bring one.

badunnin
11-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Preparing for the world's most uncomfortable Thanksgiving....

I'm not hosting, but I'm bringing brie kisses, the fig crostini from September CL, sweet potato pie and gooey apple cake.

jphilg
11-12-2003, 10:17 AM
I am not hosting either, but I have been assigned (get this) TURKEY AND GRAVY.

Huh.

So I am flying into Green Bay Wednesday night, hustling to the hosts' house to get the turkey into brine, making stock and roasted garlic butter, and then retreating to our hotel. Unusual.

I am making a compendium turkey: using Alton's brining method, sliding roasted garlic butter under the skin and dousing with white wine based on a Gourmet recipe from last year, and high-heat cooking, I think based on Alton. Gravy will be standard pan drippings/turkey stock/flour slurry with maybe a little brandy.

I am actually flattered that I have been dubbed Chief Cook of the Extended Family (that is the message that I should get from this assignment, right?) but it is a little logistically difficult.

Canice
11-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Sheila, here's another cornbread recipe. We made it in my holiday cooking class and everyone liked it a lot. I would definitely include the dried cherries, as their tartness was a nice contrast with the sweetness of the corn bread.

Cornbread Sausage Stuffing

2 recipes Country Cornbread (recipe follows) prepared 1 day ahead and left loosely wrapped at room temperature
4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 pounds bulk pork sausage
2 Tbsp. butter
3 cups finely chopped onion
6 ribs celery, chopped
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries, if desired
4 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
2 cups chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 350F

Cut the cornbread into 1-inch cubes (you will have about 12 cups). Place the cubes in a large bowl with 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil, 2 Tbsp. of the thyme and large pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well. Spread the cubes on two baking sheets and bake until slightly toasted, 15 minutes. Let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then return to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a spatula, until cooked through and well browned, 15-20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add the cooked sausage to the bread mixture and mix well.

Remove the sausage fat from the pan and add the remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the butter. Heat the pan over medium heat and add the onions and celery with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook stirring often, until vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes. Stir in the cherries or cranberries, if using, and cook 5 minutes more. Fold the mixture into the cornbread. Using a rubber spatula, toss the remaining thyme, sage, and parsley with the bread. Slowly drizzle in the broth, ½ cup at a time, just until the stuffing is moist to your taste. Adjust the seasonings to taste and cool completely to room temperature before stuffing the turkey.

Note: This makes enough stuffing for a 20-24 pound turkey. If cooking the stuffing on its own, place it in a buttered baking dish and cook, covered, at 350F for 20-25 minutes.

Country Cornbread

1-1/2 cups cornmeal
½ cup flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup milk
½ cup plain lowfat yogurt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup creamed corn, canned or homemade

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and stir well.

In another bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, butter, oil and eggs. Add this to the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the creamed corn.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes.

Cool in the pan on a rack for 15-20 minutes then remove the cornbread from the pan and cool completely on a rack. Cut into squares and serve.

kjh01
11-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Wow these all sound so great! Keep 'em coming!

ande
11-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Chocolate Rose, for posting the cranberry sauce recipe! It looks really good...I'll have to give it a try.

mrswaz
11-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I have Thanksgiving two days in a row. We spend actual Thanksgiving with friends and the day after with family. We are hosting the "friends" this year. Then I will make something to bring to DM's house for Friday. I've pretty much planned out of this year's BA- the make ahead Thanksgiving. I'm not doing a whole lot, because I don't want leftovers for a year.

Herb-Roasted Turkey with Apple Cider Gravy (BA Nov. 03)
Apple, Celery, and Smoked Ham Stuffing (same)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar and Pancetta (same)
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (mine)
Cranberry Sauce
Sweet Potato Knot Rolls (CL Jan-Feb 03)
Plain Buttered Corn (for picky kiddies)
Chocolate Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie with Spiced Walnut Streusel (BA Nov. 03)

I plan on making a double batch of the rolls for Friday as well as the cranberry sauce and maybe the brussels sprouts

Luvs2Cook
11-13-2003, 12:44 PM
This menu has been in the works for a couple weeks. There will be 3 of us working on it. I can't wait!!! I was getting hungry going over the menu!

Appetizers:
Spiced Cheese Straws
Mushroom-Fontina Pita Melts
Glazed Walnuts

Soup:
Butternut Squash Bisque

Entree:
Roasted Turkey with Herbs & Port Gravy
Bread & Celery Stuffing
Potato Gratin
Damon's Sweet Potato Casserole (copycat recipe)
Corn Souffle
Apricot Cranberry Chutney
Relish tray (radish rosettes, stuffed celery, LOTS of black olives)
Crescent Rolls

Desserts:
Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
Apple Strudel
:)

Chocolate Rose
11-13-2003, 07:31 PM
oskie, here's the salad recipe. My mom cut this out of the newspaper probably 30 years ago. We've had it every Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since.:D It's nice because you make it the day before and just add the tomatoes at the last minute. At Christmas we oftentimes substitute red peppers for the green. It's defnitely not a gourmet recipe but is looked forward to by everyone.

Recipe By :
Categories : Salads & Dressings

1 head iceberg lettuce -- washed and chilled
1 bunch green onions -- thinly sliced
8 ounces waterchestnuts -- sliced
1/2 red or green bell pepper -- sliced
2 stalks celery -- chopped
10 ounces frozen peas
2 cups mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 pound bacon, crisp fried -- finely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs -- coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes -- cut in wedges

Shred lettuce and spread over bottom of a wide 4 quart glass dish. Scatter green onions over lettuce. Sprinkle waterchestnuts over onion. Sprinkle pepper over waterchestnuts. Sprinkle celery over peppers. Break apart frozen peas and sprinkle over salad. Spread mayonnaise evenly over peas. Sprinkle with sugar, cheese, salt and garlic powder. Sprinkle bacon over salad. Sprinkle eggs over bacon. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. Just before serving arrange tomato wedges on top of salad.

cab321
11-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Yay! I finally know what my menu is!

Good Eats Brined Roast Turkey
Make-Ahead Gravy (a Woman's Day recipe)
Crockpot Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Caramelized Chestnuts and Brussel Sprouts
Lemon Glazed Carrots
Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
Profiteroles (filled with vanilla ice cream)

Searcher
11-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Laura, would you please post your broccoli puff recipe? I think maybe my grandsons would like that.

islandgirl
11-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Could any of you who mentioned the make-ahead gravy from Woman's Day ppost it? We always smoke our turkey, which creates a no-gravy problem. TIA!

Karen

colleency
11-17-2003, 04:12 PM
I think this is it:

Thanksgiving for 13

Pickles and Olives
Crudités with Dip
Cheese and Crackers

Good Eats Roast Turkey
Corn Bread Stuffing with Sage Sausage
Mashed Potatoes
Sage Gravy
Brussels Sprouts with Pecans
Streuselled Sweet Potato Casserole
Touch-of-Grace Biscuits
Cranberry-apple relish

Pumpkin pie with cornmeal crust
Whipped cream
Cream Puffs with Cherry Sauce

Kalna
11-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi, I just finished my menu for 11. Here it is

Brie with Caramilized Onions, Pistachi and Cranberry ( BB )
Spinach Balls with Honey Mustard ( bb )
Candied Curried Peacans ( Gourmet.com )

Roast Vermont Turkey ( my Dad does the bird, my brother raises it)
Sausage Crestnut Dressing ( family recipe)
Giblet and Pan Gravy
Rolls and Butter
Pickles and Olives
Cranberry Orange Relish ( gourmet.com )

Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Butternut Squash and Rutabaga Puree ( Gourmet.com)
Brussels Sprouts and Pearl Onions in Horseradish Sauce ( gourmet.com)
Green Beans with Balsamic Shallot Butter ( gourmet.com)

Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie ( gourmet.com)
Pumpkin Pie with Toffe Walnut Topping ( gourmet.com)
Maple Pecan Pie ( gourmet.com)

Wine
Coffee
Cordials

Searcher
11-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Karen,
I just made this this morning. I don't add the butter at the end, it doesn't need it.

Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy
Makes 8 cups

Planning Tip:
Make up to 3 months ahead and freeze in an airtight container. Thaw 2 days in refrigerator. Whisk often while reheating in saucepan. If space permits, refrigerate the broth overnight so the fat that rises can solidify and be easily removed.

4 Turkey wings (about 3 pounds) (I often can’t find wings and use 3 turkey legs instead)
2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup water
8 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade
¾ cup chopped carrot
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¾ cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Have ready a large roasting pan.

Arrange wings in single layer in pan. Scatter onions over top. Roast 1 ¼ hours or until wings are browned.

Put wings and onions in a 5 to 6 quart pot. Add water to roasting pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on bottom. Add to pot. Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrot, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 ½ hours.

Remove wings to cutting board. When cool, pull off skin and meat. Discard skin, save meat for another use.

Strain broth into a 3 quart saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard vegetables; skim fat off broth.

Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups broth until smooth.

Bring broth in saucepan to a gentle boil. Whisk in flour mixture and boil 3 to 4 mintues to thicken and remove floury taste. Stir in butter and pepper. Serve or pour into containers and refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to three months.

NOTE: On Thanksgiving, after the turkey is cooked and removed from the roasting pan, you can skim the fat off the pan drippings and add the drippings to the heated gravy.

Note: I often have made the broth the day before Thanksgiving or whenever I need it, refrigerated the broth, skimmed the fat and then, added the flour mixture just before serving. Either works well.

islandgirl
11-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Searcher, thank you so much. You have just made my holiday!

Searcher
11-17-2003, 05:47 PM
No Problem, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

oskie
11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Chocolate Rose
oskie, here's the salad recipe. My mom cut this out of the newspaper probably 30 years ago. We've had it every Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since.:D It's nice because you make it the day before and just add the tomatoes at the last minute. At Christmas we oftentimes substitute red peppers for the green. It's defnitely not a gourmet recipe but is looked forward to by everyone.

Recipe By :
Categories : Salads & Dressings

1 head iceberg lettuce -- washed and chilled
1 bunch green onions -- thinly sliced
8 ounces waterchestnuts -- sliced
1/2 red or green bell pepper -- sliced
2 stalks celery -- chopped
10 ounces frozen peas
2 cups mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 pound bacon, crisp fried -- finely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs -- coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes -- cut in wedges

Shred lettuce and spread over bottom of a wide 4 quart glass dish. Scatter green onions over lettuce. Sprinkle waterchestnuts over onion. Sprinkle pepper over waterchestnuts. Sprinkle celery over peppers. Break apart frozen peas and sprinkle over salad. Spread mayonnaise evenly over peas. Sprinkle with sugar, cheese, salt and garlic powder. Sprinkle bacon over salad. Sprinkle eggs over bacon. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. Just before serving arrange tomato wedges on top of salad.

thanks! (I even have bacon I have to use up so this will work out great!)

newtricks
11-19-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm having most of my family and some friends adding up to 20. We always do potluck so I'm not making all of this but here goes:

smoked salmon tortilla roll-ups
onion marmalade pizza
spiced nuts (Hudson Valley cookbook)

Cider brined barbecued turkey (using Whole Foods fresh turkey, brine comes from "Best Recipes of 2002-2003" very delciious!)
Corn bread and andouille stuffing (dh's concoction)
Chestnut/ dried cherry stuffing (William Sonoma Catalog recipe)
Mashed potato casserole (Best Recipes of 2002-2003)
Sweet potatoes with apricots
Haricot Vert w/ toasted pine nuts
pureed carrots (from bil's garden)
classic cranberry sauce
cranberry onion confit (old old Gourmet recipe)
relish tray

Pear tart
Pumpkin cobbler
Coconut cream pie

OK, I am only making the turkey, the chestnut stuffing, the potatoes, haricot verts and relish tray! (and dh is barbecuing the turkey)

Vicanddi
11-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Kalna, can you post your recipe for Brie with Caramilized Onions, Pistachi and Cranberry? I did a search and could not find it on the BB. Thanks!:)

gertdog
11-19-2003, 07:45 AM
DH and I are heading to CA to spend Thanksgiving with my parents and sister. It was supposed to be a large family gathering, but health issues and wildfires have intervened to make it just immediate family. We will be traveling to see our relatives in the days after Thanksgiving.

My mom has had a very stressful year, and so my sister is planning the meal. She has called me many times to confer about which recipes we will make- it's been fun!

Here is what we're having:

Cheese plate with cheeses that DH and I will pick up while visiting Sonoma a few days before Thanksgiving. :D
Marinated olives

Turkey and dressing- don't know how these will be prepared because I don't eat turkey!
Gravy
Green Beans with Balsamic-Shallot Butter (Bon Appetit)
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes (Barefoot Contessa; posted on BB by LauraB)
Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Rolls (from an awesome French bakery nearby)

Pecan pie (same excellent bakery!)
Tarte tatin
Special surprise dessert that my sis is making from a cookbook I gave her called "Paris Sweets"- recipes from Paris bakeries.

I can't wait! :)

pwrmom
11-19-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by kjh01
Apple and Amaretto Tart

This looks like the perfect dessert for my contribution to the pies already being made....care to share the recipe??? :D

islandgirl
11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm not Kalna, but found this on the BB:

Brie with Caramelized Onions, Pistachio and Cranberry

2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
½ cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Vegetable oil or cooking spray
1 round (15 ounces) brie
¼ cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts, slivered almonds, or walnuts
Crackers and/or sliced Italian bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cranberries, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened, brown, and caramelized.

Lightly brush oven-proof plate with oil (or spray with cooking spray) and place cheese in the center. (I used a Pyrex pie plate. I also scraped some of the top of the rind off the cheese.) Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes (it took mine longer) or until cheese is soft and partly melted. Spoon onion topping over cheese. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with crackers.

Serves 8 – 10 (although I served it to 12 and had some left over).

Note: I made the onion mixture in advance and reheated in the micro. I also spooned it over the brie after it had been cooked for 10 minutes and put it in the oven for 3 minutes or so.

From Betty Crocker's cookbook

kjh01
11-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Linda, here's the thread for the apple tart:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47219&highlight=apple+calvados+tart

It originally calls for Calvados, but I used Amaretto and it came out great.

AdGirl
11-19-2003, 11:44 AM
i'm making thanksgiving for my visiting parents and a couple of friends, so it'll only be 6 of us.

Mulled wine
Spinach dip in a bread bowl
Salsa-baked goat cheese with toasted pita triangles

Roasted cornish hens (no turkey for us, thanks!)
Mark Bittman's Bread stuffing (out of this world!!!!!)
Homemade cranberry sauce
Potato Gratin with Goat cheese and Creme Fraiche
Roasted Parsnips
Green Beans with balsamic-shallot butter
Popovers with sage butter (DH is trying to convince me to make Pillsbury Crescent rolls instead, we'll see...)

Chocolate Mousse with Irish cream :D
Wine and coffee

Beeswax
11-19-2003, 11:57 AM
For the last few years, my friends and I have been throwing "Thanksgiving Two," which is typically held the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It's just like regular Thanksgiving, except with a lot more mistakes. (And, of course, it's tons more fun than the family holiday.) This is our tentative menu so far:

APPETIZERS:
Pomegranate guacamole with chips (Ep)
Cheese fondue with bread and veggie dippers
Kir Royales

SALAD:
Spinach and lentil salad with blue cheese (Ep)

MAIN:
Brined roasted turkey with gravy (BA)

Country bread stuffing with parmesan, raisins and pine nuts (Ep)

Whipped chipotle sweet potatoes (Ep)

Winter squash braised in cider (D. Madison)

Scalloped potatoes (Mom)

Roasted cipollini onions (Herbert Family Farm)

Cranberry orange sauce (Martha)

Light wheat rolls (All Recipes)

A couple bottles of Côtes-du-Rhône

DESSERT:
Pineapple upside down cake OR apple ice dream pie (undecided, both from Ep)

Peanut butter cream tart (Ep)

Coffee

MaryH
11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
OK, that Brie recipe just got added to mine. The rest is as follows:

Sweet & Spicy Nuts (BA)
Roast Turkey w/Pomegranate Glaze (BA) - will brine turkey before hand
Bread Dressing w/Dried Apricots,Pistachio & mint (BA)
Garlic & Rosemary Cloverleaf Rolls (CL) or the Pennsylvania Dutch Tea Rolls (CL)
Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Bisque (CLBB)
Mashed Potatoes
Pumpkin Pie w/Walnut Streusel (BA)
Chocolate Almond Cake w/Apricot Glaze (EW)

lhall
11-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Ok, here goes.

Alton's Brined Turkey
Mom's Cornbread Dressing
Mashed Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes (SIL will bring) Nov 03 CL
Make Ahead Gravy (Tyler Florence)
Garlic & Rosemary Cloverleaf Rolls Nov 03 CL
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallot Butter Nov 03 CL
Maple Pumpkin Pie - Nov/Dec 1989 CL
Cranberry Sauce/Relish (one can and some homemade stuff too)

I might make a salad or an appetizer and maybe (just maybe) the pumpkin struesel buns from last year for breakfast.

Leigh

rinsav
11-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Pumpkin Praline Cake (absolutely delish, and EZ as they come)

This sounds so good! Missindi, would you mind sharing the recipe? Thanks!:)

MISSINDI
11-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by rinsav

This sounds so good! Missindi, would you mind sharing the recipe? Thanks!:)

Not at all! Here it is. Let me know how you like it. If you give it a test run, it's especially yummy warm with vanilla bean ice cream. I made it for a dinner party my parents had this weekend, and it was a hit.

Praline Pumpkin Dessert
Prep: 10 min (gotta love that!) Bake: 1 hr

1 can (15 ounces) canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 package Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Pour into pan.

2. Sprinkle cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Pour melted margarine over top.

3. Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center of dessert comes out clean.

12 servings

Enjoy!

rinsav
11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks!!

Barrie
11-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Here's mine. We're having a dozen people over. It's my first time doing thanksgiving and I've got lists up the wazoo, trying to stay organized. It should be fun trying to get it all done with my 9-month old DS wanting attention!

Spiced Pecans (Epicurious)
Endive with Goat Cheese and Walnuts (CL)

Roast Turkey and Gravy (MIL's recipe)
Honey Baked Ham
Corn Bread Stuffing (MIL's recipe)
Mashed Potatoes
Triple Cranberry Sauce (Epicurious)
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole (CL)
Sparkling White Sangria Salad (CL)
Haricot Verts with Hazelnuts (MS)
Cheddar and Herb Biscuits (Bon Appetit)
Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls (CL)

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake (Epicurious)
Pumpkin Pie (Marie Callender's)
Razzleberry Pie (Marie Callender's)

tbb113
11-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Its going to be a small gathering...just my parents and me. The boys are at their father's house.

Celery Salad - CL Nov 02
Herbed Turkey with Roasted Garlic Gravy - CL Nov 02
Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry-Walnut Sauce Cooking Pleasures Oct/Nov 03
Green Beans & Pan-Roasted Red Onions - CL Nov 99
Pumpkin Praline Pie - posted by Sneezles

MISSINDI
11-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Barrie
Here's mine. We're having a dozen people over. It's my first time doing thanksgiving and I've got lists up the wazoo, trying to stay organized. It should be fun trying to get it all done with my 9-month old DS wanting attention!

Spiced Pecans (Epicurious)
Endive with Goat Cheese and Walnuts (CL)

Roast Turkey and Gravy (MIL's recipe)
Honey Baked Ham
Corn Bread Stuffing (MIL's recipe)
Mashed Potatoes
Triple Cranberry Sauce (Epicurious)
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole (CL)
Sparkling White Sangria Salad (CL)
Haricot Verts with Hazelnuts (MS)
Cheddar and Herb Biscuits (Bon Appetit)
Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls (CL)

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake (Epicurious)
Pumpkin Pie (Marie Callender's)
Razzleberry Pie (Marie Callender's)

I can relate, I have a 15-month-old who LOVES to help in the kitchen, particularly stirring the messiest things!

Can you post your recipe for Sparkling White Sangria Salad?

jellyben
11-19-2003, 10:00 PM
I gotta know-what is Brined Turkey???

Vicanddi
11-19-2003, 10:02 PM
I think the sparkling white sangria salad is in the November issue, if I'm not mistaken. It's on my list too!

Sami
11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Well I figured out my menu this morning. Since I am in SF and DD1 has only 1 oven this is tricky.

Spiced nuts, Nov. BA
Turkey with my cereal stuffing
Fish for my DIL
Sweet potatoes, the sweet kind if someone in my family sends me the recipe
Mashed potatoes, which my SIL can do since he is the one who likes them
Cranberry sauce Nov BA
Broccoli/carrot casserole, Nov CL
Rosemary clover leaf rolls, Nov CL
Lemon Meringue Pie, BHG
Apple Pie, BHG

Sami

tbb113
11-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jellyben
I gotta know-what is Brined Turkey???

Its a method of soaking your turkey in seasoned liquid prior to roasting it. Here is a thread brining turkeys (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=33140) about it

amcleod
11-20-2003, 06:56 AM
We are going to my bro's and future SILs house and I am bringing appetizers, one side, and dessert:

Apps

Spiced Party Nuts (The New Basics)
Almonds w/Red Pepper and Fennel (BA a few months back)
Something wrapped in proscuitto - either melon or shrimp
something else - maybe endive w/goat cheese and walnuts, thanks to everyone else's lists!

Side

Green Beans with Walnut Oil {Cooking for Mr. Latte}

Desserts

Honey-Ginger Pumpkin Pie (BA 11/03)
An Undecided Chocolate Something from an Alice Medrich Cookbook - suggestions welcome!

I am glad I posted this because it reminded me that I ran out of fennel seed for the almonds. Forgot to send in my Penzey's order - hopefully they are sold in bulk at Fresh Fields, otherwise I have to buy them from the supermarket :(

1MegMeg
11-20-2003, 09:11 AM
We are doing the usual large family gathering at my cousin's house so I just have to bring a side dish. I am bringing Marinated Asparagus Bundles. :)

Marinated Asparagus Bundles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side Dish Vegetables

2 1/2 pounds asparagus
10 green onions
2 red bell peppers -- cut into 20 strips
1 cup onion -- finely chopped
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cover and cook in a small amount of boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain well.

2 .Trim white portion from green onions, and reserve for another use. Place green onion tops in a bowl; add boiling water to cover. Drain immediately, and rinse under cold running water.

3. Gather asparagus into 10 bundles, and add 2 bell pepper strips to each bundle. Tie each bundle with a green onion strip. Place bundles in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

4. Combine chopped onion and next 9 ingredients (onion through pepper) in a bowl; stir well. Pour over asparagus bundles. Cover and chill 2 to 8 hours.

5. To serve, remove asparagus bundles from marinade, and discard marinade. Arrange asparagus bundles on a serving platter.

Yield: 10 servings.

JennieL
11-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Here's my dinner:

BLUE CHEESE SHORTBREAD LEAVES WITH CREAM CHEESE-CHUTNEY ROULADE from BA
APRICOT-GLAZED TURKEY WITH ROASTED ONION AND SHALLOT GRAVY from BA
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole CL
TRIPLE CRANBERRY SAUCE from Crazycook BB
Rice-Nut Stuffing - my Great Grandmother's recipie
Mashed Potatoes - from Silver Palate cookbook
Green Beans and Pan Roasted Red Onion - CL
Kahlua Pecan Pie - from Vicky BB

I might add another appetizer.

Barrie
11-20-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Vicanddi
I think the sparkling white sangria salad is in the November issue, if I'm not mistaken. It's on my list too!

yep, it is in the November issue. Sorry I can't post it right now - I'm at work and the recipe is at home. Perhaps someone has it in MC and can post it? btw, it's excellent! We had it at supper club this past Sunday and everyone loved it.

MISSINDI
11-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok, I think I have finally finished my Thanksgiving menu, but you know how it goes ... always subject to change. Here's where I stand now:

Before Dinner Munchies
Cocktails: Bellinis (Sandra Lee)
Blue Cheese Dip with Carrots and Celery (FOOD Mag)
Chili & Lemon Hummus w/Bread (Donna Hay)
Sweet Potato Chips (Family Fun)
Warm Goat Cheese Toasts with Rosemany, Walnuts, Honey (BA)
Sun-Dried Tomato Goat Cheese Spread on Baguettes (FOOD)

Appetizers
Shrimp Cocktail
Prosciutto & Marinated Artichoke Involtini (F&W)
Marinated Mozzarella (Mark Bittman)

Sides/Vegs
Thumbprint Potatoes (Donna Hay)
Broccoli & Cauliflower Gratin with Cheddar (F&W)
Mashed White Beans (FOOD)
Oyster Dressing (CL '97)
Sausage Stuffing (Mark Bittman)

Main
Buttery Cider Glazed Turkey (BHG)

Dessert
Cranberry Upside Down Cake (FOOD)
Cranberry Apple Pie (Family Fun)
Classic Baked Cheesecake (Donna Hay)

We're having 6 people, possibly 8. Think I have enough food? ;) We tend to go all out for holidays -- that's part of the fun. That, and it's nice to have food for a week... :D

Vicanddi
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
MISSINDI, I don't think I've ever heard of a cranberry upside down cake. I like that it's a little unusual. Would you mind sharing the recipe when you get a chance? Thanks!:)

MISSINDI
11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Vicanddi -- here you go. It's on the cover of this month's issue of Martha Stewart's FOOD Magazine, and looks divine. Would be great for Christmas as well, with the bright cranberries on top, drizzling through. Yum!

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Serves 8, Prep Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: 1 Hour

Sweetened whipped cream is the perfect accompaniment to this slightly spicy dessert.

8 T unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
½ t ground cinnamon
¼ t allspice
1¾ cups cranberries
1 large egg
1 t vanilla extract
1¼ cups all purpose flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ t salt
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 350, with rack in center. Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 T butter. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.

With an electric mixer, cream remaining 6 T butter and ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until well combined. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, until well combined.

Spoon batter over cranberries in pan, and smooth top. Place pan on a baking sheet; bake cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert onto a rimmed platter.

Bawstinn
11-20-2003, 12:02 PM
We are doing a last minute (is it last minute when you know the week before?), throw together, kind of Thanksgiving dinner with some other people that don't have family around here. I must say, these boards are quite an inspiration when you need to come up with something fast! People have asked what they could bring and I told everyone to bring their favorite Thnksgiving dish and I'd fill out the rest. This is what I have so far:

Spanokopita <boyfriends takes care of this>
Stuffed mushrooms <food network>
Hot Brie Kisses <CL BB>
Vegetables/pickle/olive tray

Turkey #1 - traditional oven cooked
Turkey #2 - cooked on the smoker
Garlic Mashed Potatoes <CL>
Sweet Potatoe Casserole <Nov CL, if nobody else makes sweet pot>
Basic Stuffing <food network, never made it before>
Wild Rice and Cranberry Stuffing <mom>
Green Bean Casserole <friend>
Onion Casserole <friend>
another veg
Cranberry Sauce

Boston Brown Bread <no idea where I got this on>
Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls <CL>
Homemade Wheat Bread <friend>
Honey butter

Crumb-topped Apple Pie <friend>
Pumpkin Pie <friend>
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars <my recipe>

Having two turkeys as this whole thing started because the guys wanted to smoke a turkey, and they wanted to make it a Cajun turkey. Decided to also make the "original" for the people who don't care for the Cajun version.

Thanks to those who spend the time posting their recipes/ideas. I have discovered some new tastes over the last couple of months.

Pony
11-20-2003, 02:13 PM
DH and I are going to my mom's in VA. Not sure how many of us will be around. I told my mom DH and I would do a lot of the leg work. I don't see too many mac and cheese recipes on the menus. My "crazy" aunt brings the mac and cheese, ummm well not really..usually just a pyrex bowl of spaghetti noodles, shredded cheddar and butter, then nukes it at my mom's. :rolleyes: Not really the way I like it. But I hear she isn't coming, so I am searching for a yummy recipe that DH will agree with. Definitely, full fat...maybe a martha recipe?

As far as I know my mom is making:
Turkey
Stuffing
Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes

Grandma is bringing:
Honeybaked Ham :D :D

We are making:
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole CL
Potato Fougasse (maybe as rolls) CL
Mac and Cheese (searching for a recip)
Pumpkin Cheesecake (deciding btwn two recipes)
Blue Ribbon Apple Pie CL
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake America's Test Kitchen

YUMMY!!!!!!

RebeccaT
11-20-2003, 02:35 PM
I am on the hook for three things for this year's meal. There will only be 6 people, and SIL is moving the day before, so things will be fairly simple. I'll be bringing:

Garlic and Rosemary Cloverleaf rolls (Nov CL)
Green Beans with Carmelized Shallot Butter (Nov CL)
Pumpkin Pie (recipe TBD... thinking I want to try a new one this year instead of my old standby)

It's so much fun reading everyone else's menus!! I can't wait until I get to host Thanksgiving!

kjh01
11-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Rebecca, when I make pumpkin pie I use this recipe from Epicurious. I've had great success using FF half and half and lower fat milk to lighten it up. I usually use a bit less rum, tho. And I make my own crust!

Spirited Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pies have long been favored in New England; there is a recipe for a "pompkin" pie in Amelia Simmons's 1796 American Cookery. New England colonists, in spite of their puritanical reputation, were known to enjoy a tot of rum now and then. And if the liquor was hidden in a pie, even the ladies were able to indulge.

Crust
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water

Filling
1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup dark rum
11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For crust:
Mix flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, add ice water 1 tablespoonful at a time and process until moist clumps form. Gather into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 30 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.)

Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer pastry to 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold edge under and crimp. Pierce pastry all over with fork. Freeze pastry 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake crust until pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.

Meanwhile, prepare filling:
Whisk first 10 ingredients in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in all remaining ingredients. Pour filling into crust.

Bake pie 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Bake until filling no longer moves in center when dish is shaken, about 30 minutes longer. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Serves 10.

Bon Appétit
November 1996

Dyanne
11-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Pumpkin and Tomato Bisque (Dairy Hollow Soup 157)
Red Pepper Puree for garnish
Andy’s Turkey (America's Test Kitchen)
Gravy
Cranberry mold (my MIL's sacred recipe)
Roasted sweet potato wedges (maybe Martha's)
Corn Tomalito (from the Chevy’s/Rio Bravo cookbook)
Green bean casserole (French’s website)
Macaroni & Cheese (from Classic Melts pkg)
Peas
Sweet potato biscuits (maybe Martha)
Harvest Pumpkin Cheesecake (old Philly cream cheese cookbook)
Cranberry quick bread (CL online)
Ice cream and ginger cookies (Byerly’s)
Coffee and hot tea

So far this is the menu. However, my MIL doesn't "care" for pumpkin, even though this is my very most favorite food, so I don't think I can get away with the soup I planned. Now that we live in Minnesota, maybe I'll make a wild rice soup.

Someone mentioned having corn in some form on the menu at her son's request. I haven't unpacked the cookbook yet (we've been here 3 months, so it'll unpack itself soon), but if you like a thick corn pudding that's more cornmeal and not at all smooth but VERY, VERY tasty, try this one. If you go to a Chevy's they'll have the recipe in their book, which they have for sale there, and you can also try a sample of it. I wouldn't argue they have the best Mexican food in the world by any means (although it's a guilty pleasure of mine), but this recipe rocks!

With the way I'm feeling about the in-laws lately, though, I think I'll just pick up something at McD's and call it a day. Think it'll fly? How could I form the buns and patties into a turkey shape? Should I use McNuggets instead to make it more authentic, vis-a-vis poultry?

Dyanne

P.S. I haven't eaten at a McD's for decades, so I don't think there's a snowball's chance it'll happen this Thanksgiving. Just wishful thinking.

kirkbyky
11-21-2003, 06:31 AM
All these spreads look fantastic! This year it's just DH and I; we're heading up to his parents house to dog-sit while they're out of town over the holiday's. Our life and schedule has been so hectic, that it will be wonderful to relax for a few days, and vegg out watching football!

Even though its only for 2, I'll still be making dinner:

goat cheese kisses (EW)
Lindrusso's spinach balls
Olives, antipasti, etc.

Clementine salad with spiced walnuts and pickled onions (CL)--I absolutely love this--its tasty and colorful.
Mulled Cranberries (Gail)
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and squash (I'm still trying to figure out Zingerman's recipe...although if cab321 wouldn't mind passing on the caramelized chestnut and Bsprout recipe, that may be a contender).
Spiral stuffed turkey breast w/cider gravy (EW)

Apple dumplings (a friend of ours made a bunch for charity and gave some to us).
Something chocolaty yet to be determined.

I hope everybody has wonderful success with their feasts-to-be, they all look delicious!

Kyle

krispy spo
11-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Kyle, tell me about the goat cheese kisses please! I am still deciding on some appetizers to bring to SIL's house and we love anything with goat cheese.

RebeccaT
11-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by kjh01
Rebecca, when I make pumpkin pie I use this recipe from Epicurious.

Kim, thank you! That looks delicious! It might be just the thing... I love dark rum in recipes!

krispyspo, the goat cheese kisses that Kyle is planning to make are from the Fall issue of Eating Well. They are very simple - basically you take a half of a dried apricot, form a ball of soft goat cheese around it, and roll in chopped hazelnuts or pistachios. There might have been one or two other ingredients... but that was the gist of it.

Kyle, please let us know how you like those! I am considering those for my holiday cocktail party! :)

kjh01
11-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Rebecca. you're welcome! It's reeeeaaaallly good. :)

MandMs
11-21-2003, 12:00 PM
These menus are impressive! I have yet to host a Thanksgiving dinner. How do you get all this done?? My Aunt does the cooking for our family. I've been in charge of muffins for years. So that's what I'm making....muffins! I always do the SAME thing, though. Krusteaz FF Blueberry and FF Cranberry-Orange, and Jiffy Cornbread muffins. :rolleyes: I know....ick. Boring. I may branch out this year and try the Garlic and Rosemary Cloverleaf Rolls.

kirkbyky
11-21-2003, 01:45 PM
krispyspo: RebeccaT covered it pretty well, but here are the exact amounts and nutrition info...

Goat Cheese Kisses

3T. hazelnuts or pistachios (3/4 oz) -- finely chopped
6 oz creamy goat cheese
6 dried apricots or dried figs, cut into 4 pieces each.

Line a plate or small tray with wax paper. Place nuts in a shallow dish, scoop a heaping 1/2 teaspoon goat cheese and press a piece of dried apricot (or fig) into the center. Wrap cheese around fruit to form a ball. Roll ball in the chopped nuts to create a crust; set on wax paper lined plate or tray. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Make about 2 dozen.

Per piece: 28 cal; 2g total fat (1g sat, 1g mono); 3 mg chol; 1g carb; 2 g protien; 0g fiber; 26mg sodium.

I was originally going to make brie kisses (which I assume are similar) but am not a huge fan of brie--I like goat cheese so much better. I've never had them, but they look grand!

Enjoy!

Kyle

krispy spo
11-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the recipe Kyle, these sound delish!

SPITFIRE
11-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Pony, Are You Still Looking for a Mac & Cheese Recipe?

Here's a great recipe! I add sauted leeks to the mix before placing in pan and baking.

Macaroni and Four Cheeses
From Cooking Light

1 pound uncooked medium elbow macaroni
1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Emmenthaler or Swiss cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400°.

Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place pasta in a large bowl.

Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.

Bring milk and bay leaves to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper; stirring until cheeses melt. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir well. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine breadcrumbs, sage, and butter in a bowl; toss with a fork. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture.

Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

crlykat
11-22-2003, 04:18 PM
This is our first year hosting! I hope my family likes it. (They don't "do" a lot of different foods)

Appetizers
Garlic toasts with cream cheese and smoked salmon
Spiced nuts
alouette with crackers for those afraid of the other two
Cheese platter
Olives

Dinner
garlic herb roasted cornish game hens with as yet to be determined gravy
Baked acorn squash with goat cheese stuffing on sauteed spinach (for the vegetarians, including me!)
mashed potatoes
cranberry-orange relish (Mom's)
roasted asparagus with asiago and almonds
buttery haricot verts
assorted rolls--can we say, carb overload? that's ok with me though!

Dessert
Grandma's lemon meringue pie
Apple pie
chocolates and butter cookies

Fiona1stharp
11-22-2003, 06:01 PM
I have some vegetarians and some non so I try to balance the menu. I also "have" to have some family recipes so I just make them and the new ones too.

So far; it's:

Shrimp cocktail
Roasted Turkey
Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing (from allrecipes.com)
Mashed potatoes (made with butter buds)
Grandma's Corn Pudding (from allrecipes.com)
Sweet Potato Casserole (family recipe)
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallot Butter (CL 11/03)
Brandied Orange and Cranberry Sauce (from allrecipes.com)
Cranberry Congealed Salad ( family recipe)
Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake (from allrecipes.com)
Pecan Pie 2 (from allrecipes.com)

Champagne
Martinelli's sparkling cider

Vicanddi
11-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Okay, I finally know what I'm taking to my SIL's for T-day.

Pumpkin Biscuits w/ Honey-Butter (Nov CL)
Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate and Walnut Cookies (Diana's desserts)
White Chocolate Chip Cookies w/ Cranberries (allrecipes.com)
Glazed Julienne Carrots (CL Complete)
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Tyler Florence)
Cranberry Sauce (Real Simple)
Warm Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze, just decided!

I've already made the cookies and the biscuits and they are in the freezer. I am going to do as much prep work for the other items as I can, and then finish the cooking process once we get there. I'm going to make the cranberry sauce tomorrow, as it can be made up to 4 days ahead. For the sweet potatoes, I am going to bake them prior to heading to SIL's, and then stuff them and broil them briefly before serving. The carrots, I can cut everything up here, but will need to take about 10-15 minutes on the stove to finish them up. I think they will be better that way, than just reheating them.

I'm enjoying all the cooking/baking, it's fun, without having to host the whole dinner!

pilgrim719
11-23-2003, 04:57 PM
After an almost-last-minute change in plans, we're now going up to my mother and stepfather's house for Thanksgiving. Still cooking the same meal, just hauling our ingredients with us. :) We're having:

Appetizers:
Sweet & Sour Meatballs (DH)
Spinach Balls w/ mustard for dipping (CLBB lindrusso)
Chili Con Queso Dip and tortilla chips (CL recipe finder)

Dinner:
turkey (brined by stepfather and roasted using DH's rub)
Seet Ptato Mshroom Suffing (DH)
Cranberry Sauce w/ Apple Cider (CL 11/02?)
Garlicky Green Beans (CLBB Jewel)
homemade crescent rolls (Mom)
Maple-Roasted Acorn Squash (CL recipe finder)
Parmesan Smashed Potaotes (Barefoot Contessa, posted on CLBB)

Dessert:
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake (Paula Dean, FoodTV.com)

wonderwoman
11-23-2003, 11:21 PM
It's just the two of us this year, but we're making a big dinner anyway (we're worth it, right? :D)

Baked Brie with Apricot, crackers

Grill-roasted turkey (America's Test Kitchen)
Savory Pumpkin-Chestnut Stuffing (CL 11/03)
Green Beans with Mustard-Seed Butter (F&W 11/03)
Molasses-Horseradish Sweet Potato Spears (Gourmet 11/03)

Individual Gingered Apple-Cranberry Pies with Lemon Cream (adapted from Williams-Sonoma)

I haven't decided if we'll have rolls or cranberry sauce yet. Probably will make Apple Pie Cider to go with dessert.

Vicanddi
11-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Wonderwoman, can you share your apple pie cider recipe? It sounds great! TIA!:)

J Vienna
11-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Ok everyone. I was planning on doing a nice roasted chicken with white wine sauce (which I still might do, if I decide not to go to all the trouble), but as usual, you all have me setting my sights on something much yummier :D

Could someone post the Brined Maple Turkey with Cream Gravy recipe from 11/02? Pretty please? I did some searches and found some fantastic reviews, but no recipes.

A CL subscription is on my Christmas wish list :rolleyes:

TIA

Jessica

kristalsnow7
11-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Here's the recipe, JVienna

Brined Maple Turkey with Cream Gravy

Brining makes for a juicier bird, and the subtle flavors of the brine soak into the turkey. Kosher salt works well for the brine because it dissolves more easily than table salt. If you have time and refrigerator space, the brining procedure is worthwhile. If not, the turkey will still be quite good.

Brine:
8 quarts water
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons black peppercorns
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Turkey:
1 (12-pound) fresh or thawed frozen turkey
1 cup cola
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, quartered
Cooking spray

Gravy:
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

To prepare brine, combine first 6 ingredients in a large stockpot, stirring until salt dissolves.
To prepare turkey, remove and reserve giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Add turkey to pot, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Bring cola and 1/2 cup syrup to a boil in a small saucepan; cook 1 minute.

Combine thyme, sage, seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Remove turkey from brine, discarding brine; pat dry. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub thyme mixture under loosened skin; sprinkle inside body cavity. Place 4 garlic cloves and onions in body cavity. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.

Place turkey on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Pour cola mixture over turkey; cover with foil. Bake an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°. Remove turkey from pan, reserving drippings for gravy. Place turkey on a platter. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Remove twine. Discard skin.

To prepare gravy, while turkey bakes, combine reserved giblet and neck and the broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Strain mixture through a colander into a bowl, discarding solids.

Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour pan drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top).

Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into broiler pan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Add broth mixture. Place broiler pan on stovetop over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine milk and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Strain gravy through a sieve into a bowl. Discard solids. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 6 ounces turkey and about 1/4 cup gravy)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 375 (25% from fat); FAT 10.5g (sat 3.6g, mono 2.5g, poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 51.7g; CARB 15.7g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 140mg; IRON 3.6mg; SODIUM 809mg; CALC 91mg;

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

J Vienna
11-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Thank you! :D

aquinas_chris
11-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Lovin' the suggestions here... I was just told to make the appetizers, so I do believe it's finally time to make the Spinach Balls I've heard soooo much about.

I'm also looking at a recipe for Onion Brie Appetizers from Aug/Sept. TOH magazine they're really interesting looking.

I think I'll pick up some olives and mix up some spiced pecans.

On another note, I must tell you all about a delicious and unique side that is never removed our from T-giving menu anymore.
Tomato pudding
2 c bread cubes or croutons (we use bread cubes and usually cut the crusts off- mom also lets them sit out a bit to get a little hardened)
1/2 cup melted margarine
1 (10 oz) can tomato puree
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Toss the bread cutbes with the melted margarine in a bowl. Spread in a baking dish. Spread in a baking dish.
Combine the tomato puree, brown sugar, water and salt in a saucepan. SImmer for 5 min. and then pour over the bread cubes.
Bake, covered at 325 for 45 minutes.

Yield: 8 servings- or more
I think it's very rich and can only eat a little bit- but that little bit is soo worth it!

Christina<><

kwormann
11-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Bourbon Soaked Turkey
Struseled Sweet Potato Casserole (CL 2001)
Green Bean Casserole (CL 199???)
Whole Grain Corn Bread (Bobs Red Mill)
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan crust
Beaujolais Nouveau

123Alice
11-24-2003, 06:24 PM
I have just now finally decided on my menu. There will only be 2 of us this year and I'm doing this all Friday instead of Thursday. (Have to go out to eat with DH and his family on actual T-Day, but still hoping that some of them might stop by on Friday to sample or to at least take some left-overs out of our hands.)

Butternut Squash and Roasted-Garlic Bisque (CLBB)
Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts (Epicurious)
Good Eats Roast Turkey (AB on Foodtv.com)
Mulled Cranberry Sauce (CLBB)
Savory Pumpkin-Chestnut Stuffing (CL Nov 03)
Chipotle Chili Smashed Sweet Potatoes (AB on Foodtv.com)

Mini Pumpkin Pies
Warm Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze (CL Nov 03)

kristalsnow7
11-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Two days before and I finally have my menu planned---yay! It's just the two of us, and I'm sure we'll have tons of leftovers. ;)

Endive Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Walnuts
Garlic & Rosemary Cloverleaf Rolls
Savory Pumpkin-Chestnut Stuffing
Haricots Verts with Caramelized Shallot Butter
Cranberry Orange Compote
Turkey Tenderloins with Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Pumpkin Spice Cream

luv2cook
11-25-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm also looking at a recipe for Onion Brie Appetizers from Aug/Sept. TOH magazine they're really interesting looking

now that sounds good. I wonder if I have that magazine...

wonderwoman
12-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Vicanddi,
This isn't a very formal recipe :).

64 oz. apple juice/cider
Cinnamon sticks or your favorite mulling spices
1/2 c. caramel beverage syrup (such as Torani), or to taste
Whipped cream or Cool Whip

Heat together juice/cider, spices and syrup. To serve, ladle into mugs and top with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Pony
12-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Pony, Are You Still Looking for a Mac & Cheese Recipe?

SPITFIRE, I just saw your reply. :) Thanks for the recipe. We ended up using the Martha Stewart recipe. Thank you!!!

Michelle