PDA

View Full Version : I just dropped my cell phone in a glass of wine...

Pony
11-14-2003, 09:02 PM
At least it was a good glass of red wine.

I have had a cell phone for over 5 years and never have done this. Luckily, it is just a basic cell phone, nothing fancy. Just use it for free long distance/emergencies.

So, this phone is somewhat new, maybe 3 months. It is one of those nokia's and I got it from AT&T wireless store. The store is closed right now. I really don't want to dish out $50 for a replacement...has anyone ever done something as silly as this and successfully gotten an even exchange?

Just to let you know :) it was my first glass of red wine!

michelle

jjsooner73
11-14-2003, 09:20 PM
LOL. sorry. I dropped my phone in the toilet a few months ago. Big oopsy. I had to dish out the cash for a new one--though my hpone was over 2 1/2 years old.

shoyski
11-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Sorry, I can't help you with your question. I just was shaking my head thinking, she probably couldn't do that again if she TRIED! :p

I sure hope someone can answer your question. :)

Pony
11-14-2003, 09:33 PM
thanks you two :D
ummm....which is worse, the toilet or wine? ;)

i wish it was my old one, but DH and I just got new ones this fall. oh well....i can just think of a thousand other things i would rather spend $50 on! i know it is my fault and i just need to fess up and buy a new one, but thought if anyone has been successful in returning a "wet" cell phone i would like to know what they did :D

Gecko
11-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Sorry about your phone. I guess I would rather put my hand into a glass of red wine to retrieve it than the toilet. Our ex-business partner once dropped his phone into the toilet. He opened it up and dried it out and can you believe it still worked? Mind you this was about 5 years ago so I don't know if they are as sturdy these days or more disposable, so to speak. Good luck!

Wendy w
11-15-2003, 12:41 AM
Sorry to hear about that, at least it didn't fall into the potty. A few months ago, I was at a bbq and one of the guests got tossed into the pool w/his cellphone and he had to get a new one. Although I'm not a slave to it, I'd love a new one as it shuts itself off at the wrong time but it is too much $$$.

JaneStarr
11-15-2003, 08:50 AM
At least you weren't the guy who dropped his cell-phone into the toilet on a Metro-North train and got his arm stuck! They had to re-route traffic and cut the stainless steel toilet off his arm! Let me see if I can find a link to this true CT story.
Jane

Here it is:
"Man drops cell phone in train toilet, jams arm
Friday, October 31, 2003 Posted: 2020 GMT ( 4:20 AM HKT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Cell phone users have been known to complain about poor service, but one New York man's mobile literally went down the toilet.

The man was on a suburban train from Grand Central Station on Wednesday night when he went to the bathroom to make a phone call, dropped the phone into the toilet bowl and then his hand and arm became stuck trying to retrieve it, officials said.

Metro-North Railroad staff could not help the man, so they stopped the train and called police officers and firefighters to extricate him, a process that took 90 minutes using "jaws of life" rescue equipment.

"The toilets are made of aluminum so I imagine he was down on hands and knees with his shirt rolled up and hand and arm down inside, trying to flush out his cell phone," said Jim Cameron of the Connecticut Metro-North commuter council.

He said that because of the design of the train toilet, the mobile probably ended up in a chemical holding tank.

A spokesman for the railroad that serves the northern suburbs of New York and Connecticut identified the man as Edwin Gallard, 41, of New York, who suffered a minor injury to his arm as firefighters cut the toilet apart.

The track was closed and thousands of commuters were delayed during the evening rush hour.

The phone has not yet been recovered"

JaneStarr
11-15-2003, 08:55 AM
You may find that your cell-phone carrier's cheapest phone is WAY more than $50 when you try to replace it while already being under contract to them. That happened to us when my DD had hers stolen. The cheapest unit was over $100 since they only "subsidize" them when you sign a new 1 or 2 year contract.

I did come up with a solution that might help you. I bought a new/used phone on eBay very inexpensively. You just have to make sure that you get a phone that is compatible with your carrier. The seller can provide you with the ID numbers (I forget the correct name) so that you can call your carrier before you bid. This worked out well for me. I just looked it up; I paid $24.99 for a Nokia 5120i. (Our carrier is Cingulair, but I plan to switch shortly. I am just waiting until 11/24 when we will be able to keep the same cell numbers when changing carriers.)

Good luck!

Jane

kristalina_22
11-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, somehow I managed to get melted chocolate and peanut butter in my last phone-I had the phone and some Easter candy in the same compartment of my purse, and the people at Cingular suggested I buy the insurance, about $2 a month, and then come back in a week and replace it. Fortunately, they cleaned the phone out for me and it worked with no problems and I didn't need to have it replaced, but now I always carry the insurance-I mean, if I can get chocolate and peanut butter in the phone, imagine what kind of damgae I could do.;)

Good luck,
Kristi

Pony
11-15-2003, 11:37 AM
thanks for all the info and fun stories. :D

out of all of them, i would prefer chocolate and peanut butter on my phone, that is my favorite.

thanks for the info about ebay!

i am going to call now and see what i can do. the insurance idea is a good one too.

thanks,michelle

sunberst
11-17-2003, 07:40 PM
i got chocolate in my ibook.

was at caribou sipping a mocha and you know how they give you those chocolate covered espresso beans on top of your cup? well i did not want it yet so i set it down on my ibook while i was working on it. forgot it was there and snapped it shut. if you don't know, the inside of the ibooks are WHITE and it melted it's way under my keypad. you can still see little brown specks. :)

Pony
11-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Sunberst, funny you just replied...I was on Ebay (using Jane's suggestion) and was just trying to bid on a phone! I'm not ebay savy, but did wait till the last few min. to bid..I just get nervous I will get a bad product or something.

I tried every way around this thing..basically, the insurance won't work, b/c if I try to get that now they said they place a call to the phone to make sure it works :rolleyes: ...even took the battery out and put the phone in the microwave (a suggestion from DH's friend who says it works for him all time :rolleyes:, didn't work and it scared me!!!) One good thing was I contacted American Express and I have a protection plan with my account (didn't know this) and they will reimburse me how much a originally paid...so that is good :) Only have to dish out $50 instead of $100, which is the cost of a replacement phone!!!!!!1

boy oh boy...surely won't happen again!

:)

JaneStarr
11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm glad that you had that American Express protection coverage.

You'll have to let us know if your bid on the phone wins. Good Luck!

Jane

luckylori
11-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Oh dear, I see that I'm the only one who was thinking...I hope it didn't wreck the wine. :p

NydiaC
11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by luckylori
Oh dear, I see that I'm the only one who was thinking...I hope it didn't wreck the wine. :p

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. "To heck with the phone, that was a waste good glass of wine. Gimmie another!" :p :D :eek:

Ms. Chevious
11-18-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm with AT&T and always get new phones for free. Usually they have some promotion going on to new subscribers where a certain phone is free if you sign up (usually a pretty basic one, they give you a rebate for the amount of the phone). I just go in, ask for that (they usually offer it to me) and since I'm not a new subscriber they just ask me to verbally agree to stay with them for another year (I've been with them for like 7 years so its no big deal). This should work for you regardless of where you are in your contract or plan. I never even have to give a reason (though you could tell your story if you think it would help!) - I just say I want a new phone and its as simple as that. They make the switch right in the store and you're out in 5 minutes with a new working phone - free. If you've been with them for all those 5 years they should definitely do that for you. Usually when they pull up my account and see how long I've been with them they also offer me more minutes for free (I never have to change my plan or anything). I never opt for insurance now that I've figured this out - I can always get a new phone free so there's no need (I paid insurance on an old phone for ages and it was so dumb - these things are obsolete in about a minute!).