PDA

View Full Version : feminine products for pre teens?

ewatkins
11-17-2003, 12:36 PM
I am having trouble finding a pad that will fit my almost 12 year old daughter. She says they are too long -- any suggestions? What do your girls use? I stared at the display today but was overwhelmed by the choices.

funnybone
11-17-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't girls, so this is one less thing to worry about, but I think Always makes slender products.

funnybone
11-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Hmm, I posted but the thread is not moving up even though I refreshed.

Edited to add this link:

http://www.always.com/en_us/pages/common.shtml?pageid=zn0002

Gecko
11-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Always brand make a teen one (Always Slender). I purchased this one for my daughter and it was a lot less bulky. She still wasn't thrilled but I think it had more to do with the fact that she was totally bumed out with the whole process.

Laura
11-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I bought the same one for my daughter as Gecko. I think she had the same response. :rolleyes:

sharris315
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Always Slender with Wings. My DD was in the fifth grade--and really MAD about the whole thing. She said, "Well, I'm just not going to do this, Mom" Later THAT DAY we were sitting in church, and periodically during the service, she would give me a nudge and glare...just to let me know she was still ticked off and totally annoyed. I smile now just thinking about it. :)

She moved pretty quickly into tampons, however--much easier for her.

Shar :)

ewatkins
11-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks - I got some today and left them in the bag on her bed. I know better than to ask any opinions. But I am curious about the tampons--she swims and it would be nice not to have to worry about that next summer. At what age do you think girls try tampons these days?

avariell
11-17-2003, 08:47 PM
pretty much every girl I knew was using tampons by the 8th grade (i recently turned 24 if that gives you a timeline)... they are much easier to deal with imho..

good luck :)

HejazSunKat
11-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Perhaps you can ask your family doctor what they think of the issue of young girls using tampons vs. pads and whether there's any medical reason she should wait. I would think if she's old enough to menstruate then she's old enough to use a tampon, though until she's comfortable with the whole process perhaps she'd rather stick to pads. Tampons are certainly more comfortable, no mess, no smell and would be the solution to her swimming when she has her period. I'll never forget a friend telling me about a discussion of this topic she overheard on the school bus when she was a teenager and one girl said: "I don't know why anyone uses pads...it's like sitting on a pizza!" :D Cracked me up.

MinEaston
11-18-2003, 07:58 AM
If there's no medical reason for not using tampons right away, I'd second (or third) the suggestion. I didn't try them until I was getting ready to go away to college (15+ years ago) and really regretted not trying them before that. I was a dancer, and using pads was one of the reasons I eventually quit :(

JHolcomb
11-18-2003, 08:15 AM
My mother would not allow me to use tampons. I have no idea why, though I guess it had something to do with sexuality in some bizarre, abstract way. I started using them when I was 17, after I went away to college. Boy, what a revelation! I would ask her pediatrician, but I would guess that she would be fine using them pretty soon, especially if there are mitigating circumstances, like being a swimmer. They do make junior sized tampons.

newcook
11-18-2003, 08:23 AM
All of my sisters (we are 6 girls) and myself started using tampons almost from the beginning. You might want to explain about the importance of changing them regularly. I seem to remember that most of the cases of toxic shock were from girls in the early teens who had not thought about it and left one in for several days without changing it.

cab321
11-18-2003, 10:07 AM
I bet tampons would make her happier - I sure liked them alot better. I was always worried people could see pads because they felt so huge. One tip though - buy her a little tube/bottle of lubricant like KY Jelly or Astroglide liquid gel (KY liquid gel can cause a burning sensation in a lot of women so I wouldn't recommend it). I would guess she's not to familiar with 'down there' (I wasn't) so the lube my mom gave me really helped me figure out how to use tampons.

Good luck (to you and her)

HejazSunKat
11-18-2003, 11:02 AM
If she decides to use tampons the brand she starts off with may make a big difference in how quickly she takes to them. I think Tampax, the old standard, is perfectly dreadful. I mean, have they re-engineered these things AT ALL since they came out in 1950-God-Knows-When? A lot of brands have a rounded tip to make it easier to use and the one I like also has some raised rings on the area where you hold it so you get a better handle on the dang'd thing. Just a thought.

JHolcomb
11-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by HejazSunKat
If she decides to use tampons the brand she starts off with may make a big difference in how quickly she takes to them. I think Tampax, the old standard, is perfectly dreadful. I mean, have they re-engineered these things AT ALL since they came out in 1950-God-Knows-When? A lot of brands have a rounded tip to make it easier to use and the one I like also has some raised rings on the area where you hold it so you get a better handle on the dang'd thing. Just a thought.

Tampax Pearl is da bomb. If they have a light/junior kind, she might try those. Regluar Tampax are evil, though, you're right. Oh, if she does use the junior ones, though, make sure she has a lot around, and still keeps a pad on (or at least in her purse) until she gets them figured out. My periods were a lot heavier when I was younger, and a junior sized tampon just doesn't protect against a lot of flow. She also may want to alternate pad/tampon/pad to reduce the chance of irritation.