PDA

View Full Version : How long does tahini last?

Sarah
11-17-2003, 03:16 PM
I bought a bottle of tahini for an asian soup that I'm making, and I know that I'm not going to use all of it at once. So, how long will the bottle last in my fridge?

TIA,
Sarah

jphilg
11-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Do you mean tahini or tamari? I can't imagine an Asian soup with tahini, but if such a thing exists, I would love to hear about it!

Both condiments will last indefintely in the fridge, in my experience. Tahini will separate, but it can be stirred back together.

aggie94
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Forever. Really.

Jen, here's an Asian-inspired soup with tahini that I have made for Chinese New Year:

CHINESE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP WITH SESAME AND GREEN ONIONS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves -- cut in 1/4" strips
3 T soy sauce
2 T dry Sherry
2 T oriental sesame oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
3 T tahini
2 T fresh ginger -- peeled and minced
1 T sugar
1 T seasoned rice vinegar
1 1/2 t chili-garlic sauce
4 cups Napa cabbage -- chopped (here's where I sub the baby bok choy)
6 green onions -- thinly sliced
8 cups canned low salt chicken broth
1 14 oz. package fresh yakisoba noodles or Chinese
pan-fry noodles
1/2 cup fresh cilantro

Stir chicken, soy sauce, Sherry and 1 T sesame oil in medium bowl to blend. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 2 hrs.

Whisk garlic, tahini, ginger, sugar, vinegar and chili sauce in small bowl.

Heat remaining 1 T sesame oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and green onions and saute until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.

Add broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken with marinade and tahini-garlic mixture.

Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead Cool slightly; cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing)

Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.

Add to soup in pot. Stir in half of cilantro. Season soup with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.

Canice
11-17-2003, 03:37 PM
That's the very recipe I bought a jar of tahini for...I think it took me well over a year to go through it. I lived to tell.

jphilg
11-17-2003, 03:40 PM
That sounds SOOOO good. And would make a dent in the tahini jar in my fridge. I think I might try it after we get through the Tgiving gorge.

A girl can eat only so much hummus.

hannah_phi
11-17-2003, 04:15 PM
I have had some tahini for a really long time, it just seems to never end. I take it out once or twice a month and stir it to combat seperation. The first time I stirred it was pretty messy and irritating, so I want to prevent seperation from now on.

Sarah
11-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks!

Eva, that's the recipe I'm planning to make :D

Peggy
05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
So happy to find this thread with the search function. I have a bottle of tahini in the refrigerator and I swear it's been there about 2 years. I am making some hummus tomorrow and I was concerned that it may have gone bad. It smells and tastes OK. After reading this thread, I feel much better about using it.

Peggy

donnamp14
10-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Had to bring up this thread! I made the Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup the other night, since I had all the ingredients on hand, it was a cold night calling for soup, and DD has a cold. This was one of the best soups I have ever tasted by far! I'll make another bucket of this nectar this weekend! Give it a try if you like things spicy! (Of course, I added extra chili-garlic paste and some crushed red pepper for good measure!)
-Donna

Kathy B
10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by donnamp14
I'll make another bucket of this nectar this weekend!

:D This just made me laugh!:D

wallycat
10-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Eva, that recipe looks really good!!

Tahini will go rancid eventually (it is sesame seeds ground to a paste) but something in sesame seeds has a natural preservative that resists going rancid as quickly as other oils.
I don't know how long it actually takes before going rancid...not that rancid will kill you, it will just taste yucky.
THough some tahini is bitter to start with so who could tell :rolleyes:

ccooney
10-07-2004, 01:21 PM
I get my tahini at the health food store in the bulk section. That way, I can decide how much I'm getting. Even though it will take forever to go bad, I figure if I only get a little bit each time, it will be fresher than if it had been sitting in my fridge for months.

tperes
10-07-2004, 02:19 PM
I, like ccooney, buy mine in bulk at the local co-op. I never buy a huge container, and I never put mine in the fridge. I treat like peanut butter, it goes on the pantry shelf. I have never had any go bad...

Does anyone else NOT refrigerate theirs?

Valerie226
10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Even refrigerated tahini will eventually go bad. I had some for a LONG time, no clue how long it was there, & tasted just a tiny dab to see if it was good. It wasn't. trust me, you'll know! I could not tell by the smell although I have a very poor nose for rancid.

laurachoc
10-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Ditto, tperes. I just keep my tahini in my pantry. I didn't even think of refrigerating it. The last thing I need is yet another condiment in my refrigerator that I use four times a year. :)

mbrogier
10-08-2004, 09:32 PM
I had some tahini that was in my pantry. It got put in there when I moved, and I never put it in the refrigerator. You can tell when it goes bad...you can smell it when the jar is closed. :eek: :rolleyes:

Aubergine
10-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
Eva, that recipe looks really good!!

Tahini will go rancid eventually (it is sesame seeds ground to a paste) but something in sesame seeds has a natural preservative that resists going rancid as quickly as other oils.
I don't know how long it actually takes before going rancid...not that rancid will kill you, it will just taste yucky.
THough some tahini is bitter to start with so who could tell :rolleyes:

this must explain why the sesame seeds in my pantry seem to keep indefinitely, as opposed to poppy seeds, which i now keep in the freezer because they sure do go bad.

you say tahini, i say tahina, LOL. mine lasts in the fridge a good six-8 months, or through 6 large batches of hummus. whoever said, "a girl can only eat so much hummus," i beg to differ. i almost always have some on hand.:D

re: rancidity in general, you can always smell it. even with niger (thistle) seeds for the birds, i always sniff first.