PDA

View Full Version : If you've heard of Dufflet's In Toronto . . .

funnybone
11-21-2003, 01:04 PM
I was going through some old papers and saw this recipe that I have had from 2001 lying around. I copied it into MC and thougth I would post it here, since I know many of you know of Dufflet Rosenberg from Food TV. It looks like it would be great for the holidays to share with family and friends. Also, we can justify the extra calories this time of year.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Crunch Torte

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Meringue layers
1/3 cup sifted icing sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg whites -- at room temperature
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Cake
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
1/3 cup hot water
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter -- cooled
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Buttercream
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
7 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound butter -- at room temperature
2 tbsp instant coffee
1/4 cup hot water
Chocolate shards (optional)
1/4 pound bittersweet chocolate
1/4 pound white chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 225F. Tear off a piece of parchment paper or cut a piece of heavy brown paper large enough to cover a large baking sheet. Trace two 7 1/2-inch circles. Turn parchment sheet over onto baking sheet so that traced circles are on bottom of parchment paper.

2. To prepare 2 meringue layers, sift icing sugar with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cocoa by using a sifter or pressing though a sieve with a spoon. Set aside. Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl and beat at medium speed. Once they are frothy, add cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks will form when beaters are lifted. Increase speed to high and continue to beat, gradually adding remaining granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks will form when beaters are lifted. Fold in cocoa mixture. Divide meringue evenly between traced circles. Using a spatula, spread evenly to cover circles, then smooth surface. They should not have peaks or a lot of swirls. Bake in centre of 225F oven until crisp and dry, about 11/4 hours. Remove from oven and cool completely on baking sheet.

3. Once meringue has been removed from oven, increase oven temperature to 350F. To make cake, butter, then lightly flour three 9-inch cake pans. Then line each pan with parchment or waxed paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa, then sugar. Stir with a fork until evenly mixed and no lumps of cocoa remain. Dissolve coffee in water.

4. Add all of coffee to dry ingredients. Then, beating on low speed, gradually add buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat just until smooth. Pour batter into pans. Bake in centre of 350F oven until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean and sides of cake begin to pull away from pan, from 15 to 20 minutes. Cool pans on racks for 10 minutes. Then turn cakes out of pans and cool completely on racks.

5. To prepare buttercream, place milk in a large saucepan with 1/2 cup sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and small bubbles appear around edge of pan. Meanwhile, in a medium-size mixing bowl, beat egg yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar until thick and light. Beat a little of hot milk mixture into eggs. Then pour mixture back into saucepan and whisk with remaining milk in pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking continuously, until mixture comes to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and strain back into mixing bowl. Add vanilla. Beat again using high speed until thick and cold, about 5 minutes. Set aside. If necessary, transfer to another bowl so that you can beat butter. Place butter in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks will form when beaters are lifted. Pour egg-yolk mixture overtop of whipped butter. Continue to beat on medium speed until blended. Then increase to high and beat until buttercream is smooth and shiny. Dissolve coffee in water, then beat into buttercream. Refrigerate.

6. To form marbled chocolate shards for garnish, begin by melting chocolates separately in top of a double boiler or in the microwave. Line a baking sheet with foil. To make stripes of white and dark chocolate, use a spatula to very thinly spread a 1 inch wide and 4 inch long row of dark chocolate. Then, using another spatula, very thinly spread the same proportions of white chocolate right beside dark chocolate. The 2 types of chocolate should be touching. Don't worry if a little of one chocolate gets into the other. Repeat, alternating dark chocolate with white chocolate until all chocolate is used. Using tip of a sharp knife, immediately swirl chocolates together. Refrigerate until very firm, about 30 minutes. Using your hands, break into large uneven pieces.

Assembly
Place 1 cake layer on a flat cake plate. Spread with a thin layer of buttercream, about 1/3 cup. If necessary, trim meringue layers to form a perfect circle, then place 1 meringue layer directly onto buttercream. Spread with another thin layer of buttercream. Repeat with cake, buttercream, meringue, buttercream, ending with a final cake layer. Smoothly ice entire cake with buttercream. For decoration, press chocolate shards gently into buttercream to cover sides of cake. Cake can be served right away or left at room temperature for half a day or refrigerated at least 2 days.

Preparation time 1 hour
Baking time 1 1/2 hours
Cooking time 2 minutes

Makes 12 servings

Chatelaine Magazine - 2001

NOTES : This decadent multi-layered torte with a mocha buttercream frosting is a signature dessert of Dufflet Rosenberg, one of Toronto's finest pastry chefs.

Middydd
11-21-2003, 01:08 PM
We made this cake about a month ago for a brother-in-laws birthday.

Fabulous showstopper of a cake. Only problem was that it wouldn't fit in my cake dome.

The crunch layer was what really made the cake.

Wish I could find the recipe for her Cappucino Dacquoise.

badunnin
11-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Oh dear. That looks too good. Another one that will never make it to Mastercook.

Chefzhat
11-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . Dufflet's . . .

:D :D

colleency
11-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . Dufflet's . . .

:D :D

Me, too!!!!

Natasha3
12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Middydd
Wish I could find the recipe for her Cappucino Dacquoise.

So I was looking through an old Canadian Living's Holiday Best supplement (from 1998), and Dufflet Rosenberg had an article with recipes, and one of them was for cappuccino dacquoise. :) Thought you might be interested, so here it is!

Cappuccino Dacquoise
Buttercream, icing and whipped cream between layers of hazelnut meringue will have people clamouring for more. Make the meringues and buttercream one day ahead; let the buttercream come to room temperature and beat until smooth.

2 cups hazelnuts (unskinned), 9 oz/275 g
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
9 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Coffee Buttercream:
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp each instant coffee granules and water

Chocolate Ganache:
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup whipping cream

Coffee Cream
2 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp each instant coffee granules and water
1/4 cup icing sugar

Line two 17- x 11-inch jelly roll pans or rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 8-inch round cake pan as guide, trace 2 circles on each sheet; turn paper over. Set aside.
In food processor, grind hazelnuts and 1/3 cup of the sugar until fine. Add 1 cup of the sugar and cornstarch; combine using on/off motion. Set aside. In bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Fold in hazelnut mixture. Spread over prepared circles on pans. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 250F oven for 2 hours or until lightly coloured and dry, rotating and switching pans halfway through.

Coffee Buttercream: In bowl, beat egg yolks for about 5 minutes or until thickened and lightly coloured; set aside. In small saucepan, bring sugar and corn syrup to full rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; pour into greased heatproof measuring cup. On low speed, beat hot syrup into eggs in slow steady stream. Increase speed to high; beat until cool, about 5 minutes. Beat in butter, 2 tbsp at a time. Dissolve coffee granules in water; beat into buttercream. Set aside.

Chocolate Ganache: Place chocolate in heatproof bowl. In small saucepan, bring cream to boil over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate, stirring until melted. Let stand until slightly thickened. Set 1/3 cup aside for garnish.

Coffee Cream: In bowl, whip cream. Dissolve coffee granules in water; beat into cream along with sugar.

Assembly: Place meringues on work surface, placing 1 smooth side up to use as top layer. Spread each with coffee buttercream; refrigerate for about 10 minutes or until firm.

Set aside top layer. Spread chocolate ganache evenly over buttercream on remaining 3 meringues; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set. Place bottom layer on flat serving plate; spread with one-third of the coffee cream. Repeat with second and third layers or meringue and remaining coffee cream. Gently place reserved top layer on top. Drizzle reserved ganache over top and side. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until meringues start to soften, or for up to 24 hours.

Makes 12 servings. Per serving: 711 cals; 9 g protein; 55 g fat.

Middydd
12-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Natasha!! Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe you found that recipe. I am so happy to have it you wouldn't believe, and my birthday is next week and my husband offered to bake me any cake I want.

You are like a recipe genie granting my wish and a million thanks goes your way.

-Middy, humming a little happy tune, this post just makes my day!!

funnybone
12-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks Natasha. I'm copying that one myself for future baking. I only have the Holiday Best issues since 1999. I ordered 2003 and recently received it. I don't know why I never got them before. :confused: :( :rolleyes:

Natasha3
12-01-2003, 10:41 AM
I just reread the recipe I posted and see that I've omitted to add the abbreviation "tsp" for the cream of tartar (i.e., it should read "1/2 tsp cream of tartar"). I tried to edit the post but it kept timing out. Will try to edit it later.

Anyway...Middy, you are so welcome, and I hope your birthday cake turns out wonderfully! Let us know, please! :) (And you are lucky to have a husband who will make such elaborate cakes for you!!)

Erika, you are very welcome too. I don't think I have any Holiday Best issues before 2000, unfortunately, but was lucky enough to find this one in the back issues in the library. My sister and I made brown sugar shortbread from it the other day, and I've since made the dough for brown butter cookies and hopefully those will be good as well. If you like I can let you know more about the recipes in this issue and would be happy to post them for you. :) Holiday Best supplements rock, don't they?

Natasha

funnybone
12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Natasha3
If you like I can let you know more about the recipes in this issue and would be happy to post them for you. :) Holiday Best supplements rock, don't they?

Thanks for the offer, but truthfully, I've got recipe overload and really don't need to be tempted by more recipes I possibly couldn't make in a lifetime. Thanks again. :D

Natasha3
12-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by funnybone

Thanks for the offer, but truthfully, I've got recipe overload and really don't need to be tempted by more recipes I possibly couldn't make in a lifetime. Thanks again. :D

Thought you might say that - I know the feeling, especially at this time of year :D - but figured there was no harm in offering. :) :D Have a great day (oh, and I like your new avatar!).

Natasha

Middydd
12-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Natasha, the Holiday Best issues are my favourites, too. I went through my issues and have them back to 1982 through about 1990 but then just seem to have bought them sporadically. So, if anyone needs a recipe from the early issues, let me know.

Don't know how I missed the 1998 issue.

Will let you know how close the Dacquoise comes to Dufflet's when we make it. Can't wait.

Middydd
03-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Middydd
We made this cake about a month ago for a brother-in-laws birthday.

We made this cake again yesterday and, as a variation, used the Milk Chocolate Caramel Frosting from Epicurious.

If you like chocolate and caramel together, you'll like this frosting.

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=107944&kw=chocolate+caramel&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=chocolate+caramel&submit.x=12&submit.y=9&submit=submit