PDA

View Full Version : Review Really Raspberry Scones

Vicanddi
11-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Kristin, I FINALLY made them!

This is a recipe from secrets of Fat-Free Baking that has been on my menu plan for the past 3 weeks. Sure is nice to get them crossed off the list! :D

These are pretty good fruit scones and are fairly easy to put together. I made a couple changes, as usual, but not too many. For the yogurt, I used half lemon chiffon and half vanilla, both light, fat-free. BTW, I used the whole amount of yogurt, as it was needed. I added 1 tsp cinnamon to the batter and used a cinnamon-sugar topping. For the wash, I used the beaten egg white. Also, I made drop scones and had a yield of 12 small scones. I left the raspberries whole, using frozen berries, and think I will cut them in half next time. The berries seem to take up the whole scone! Overall, a pretty good scone that I may repeat; my only hesitancy is the huge number of new recipes that I want to try! Here is the recipe, as written.

Really Raspberry Scones

1 1/2 c AP flour
1 c quick-cooking oats
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg white
3/4 c plus 2 Tbsp lemon or vanilla nonfat yogurt
c chopped fresh or frozen raspberries
Skim milk or 1 beaten egg white

Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda, and stir to mix well. Stir in the egg white and just enough of the yogurt to form a stiff dough. Gently stir in the raspberries.

Form the dough into a ball and turn onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, pat the dough into a 7-inch circle.

Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the sheet, and use a sharp floured knife to cut it into 12 wedges. Pull the wedges out slightly to leave a 1/2 inch space between them. Brush the tops lightly with skim milk or beaten egg white.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate, and serve hot with raspberry fruit spread.

Cals: 112
Fat: 0.5G
Protein: 3.8G
Cholesterol: 0 mg

Source: Secrets of Fat-Free Baking

LonghornGal
11-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks Dianne! I've been on the lookout for these. :) However I sadly learned that fresh raspberries are $4 for a tiny carton at HEB. :( I'll have to go check out the frozen section!

--Kristin

neeter
12-01-2003, 07:52 AM
thanks for the review. quick question: what is AP flour?

claire797
12-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by neeter
thanks for the review. quick question: what is AP flour?

All Purpose

neeter
12-01-2003, 08:10 AM
oh duh - thank you! :)