PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Gingerbread Cookies w/o Molasses

Linda in MO
12-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Does anyone have a Gingerbread Cookie recipe that doesn't call for molasses?? Does such a thing exist? thanks

Kayaksoup
12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
I found this one, which uses corn syrup instead of molasses. You could probably alter any gingerbread recipe with that sub.

Gingerbread Bears
These scrumptious little cuties taste great decorated
with icing or just left plain. For a darker, spicier
cookie, use molasses instead of corn syrup. Makes 3 dozen (18
servings).
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by anonymous
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions
1 In a medium saucepan, Stir together the margarine,
brown sugar, and molasses over medium heat until dissolved.
Pour into a large mixing bowl, and let cool for 5 minutes.
Stir the egg and vanilla into the melted mixture until
smooth. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon,
ginger, and cloves; stir into the wet mixture. Cover and chill
dough for a few hours or overnight.
2 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C ).
3 On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4
inch thickness. Cut into bear shapes with a cookie cutter,
and place onto an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to
15 minutes in the preheated oven, cookies should be firm.

funnybone
12-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Here are some:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Golden Ginger Folk

Recipe By : Canadian Living
Serving Size : 46 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp each salt, baking soda and baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup milk

Preparation

In bowl -- stir together flour, ginger, salt, baking soda, baking
powder, nutmeg and allspice; set aside. In large bowl, beat shortening with sugar until fluffy. Beat in corn syrup. With wooden spoon, stir in half of the flour mixture. Stir in milk then remaining
flour mixture. Mix with hands to make stiff but smooth dough.

Divide into quarters; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled. (Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)

Between parchment or waxed paper, roll out each portion of dough to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Peel off top paper. Using 5-inch (12 cm) gingerbread person cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Remove scraps. Slide paper with cookies onto rimless baking sheet; refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.

Gently transfer cutouts to parchment paper-lined or greased rimless baking sheets, arranging about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 375F (190C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, for about 12 minutes or until golden. Let cool on pan on rack for 3 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely. (Make ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.)

Nutritional information

Per cookie: about 125 cal, 1 g pro, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 20 g carb, trace fibre, 0 mg chol, 88 mg sodium. % RDI: 1% calcium, 5% iron, 6% folate.

NOTES : Let the kids decorate these little people to their hearts' content with Royal Icing (see recipe).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Gingerbread Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/ Bars/ Brownies The National Honey Board

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1 egg
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

In large bowl, cream honey and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves; mix until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. When dough is chilled, divide dough in half; return one half to refrigerator. Dust work surface and dough with flour. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters; transfer to well-greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies from sheet and cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Source:
"The National Honey Board"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.honey.com/"
Yield:
"36 Cookies"

Linda in MO
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys! Sounds like corn syrup is a nice alternative to the molasses. I wonder if maple syrup would also work? Of course, maple syrup has a thinner texture though.

claire797
12-02-2003, 11:43 AM
I keep running into this one. It's made with Butterscotch pudding mix, so I'm intrigued :).

http://christmas.allrecipes.com/az/GingerbreadMen.asp

Butterscotch Gingerbread Men

1 (3.5 ounce) package cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl, cream together the dry butterscotch pudding mix, butter, and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon; stir into the pudding mixture. Cover, and chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease baking sheets. On a floured board, roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness, and cut into man shapes using a cookie cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
3 Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are golden at the edges. Cool on wire racks.

Makes 30 servings

clairea
12-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
Thanks guys! Sounds like corn syrup is a nice alternative to the molasses. I wonder if maple syrup would also work? Of course, maple syrup has a thinner texture though.

There is a gingersnap recipe in the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies issue from a couple of years ago that uses maple syrup. I just made a batch yesterday, but haven't tried them yet. If you don't have this issue and want the recipe let me know and I will post it.

Claire

Linda in MO
12-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Anna, I'm also intrigued by the Butterscotch Gingerbread Men! Those look really good. Please post a review if you try them.

clairea, I don't think I have that magazine. Do you think the dough could be rolled for cutouts? And you made these yesterday and haven't tried them yet?!?! :eek: I'm a "taster" and have to taste everything right away. :D

CompassRose
12-02-2003, 12:30 PM
These are very good; at least, I like them. They are also light. I don't know if these are "gingerbready" enough for you though. They also work as freezer slice-n-bakes.

HOT GINGER HEARTS
From Alice Medrich's Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts
"I think of these as blond ginger cookies because though they are very gingery, they are not flavored with dark wintry spices like the cinnamon and clove that usually keep company with ginger."

1-1/2 cups (6 oz) sifted all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
4 tsp minced crystallized ginger (I usually use a bit more, as I am a big fan of crystallized ginger)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp ground ginger
2 pinches ground white pepper
1 egg yolk (or 2 Tbsp egg sub)
2 Tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir flour & sugar with a whisk to combine. Set aside. Place sugar and minced ginger in a bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the ginger and sugar together just till all the bits of ginger are separate from each other. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter till creamy. Add gingered sugar, ground ginger and pepper. Beat on High for about one minute. Beat in egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour until just combined. Gather dough into a mass, wrap, and chill until firm enough to roll, one hour or more.

Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll out cookie dough between two sheets of wax paper until a scant 1/4" thick. Cut with a cookie cutter, leaving as little space between cuts as possible. Reroll scraps. If dough becomes too soft to work with at any time, slide a cookie sheet under the wax paper and transfer rolled dough to refrigerator until firm. Transfer cut cookies to sheets, placing about 1 inch apart. Bake 12-14 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom and front to back about halfway through baking time. Cookies are done when they are golden brown around the edges and bottom but still pale in the centre. Use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to a rack to cool. Cool completely before storing or stacking.

Cookies may be stored, airtight, for up to 2 weeks, or frozen up to 2 months.

Per cookie, assuming 40 cookies: 41 calories, 1.3g fat, .56g protein, 6.9g carbs.

clairea
12-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Linda, the dough was very soft, so I don't think it would make good cut-out cookies. I think you could substitue maple syrup in another gingerbread recipe, though, and possibly just cut back a little since it would be thinner.

DH said these were good, but not very much like gingerbread. He said it was almost more like a sugar cookie with a little bit of spice added. The only reason I went a day without try them is because I don't really like gingerbread. If it had been something chocolate, I definitely would have had plenty of samples:D

In case you want to see it, here is the recipe I used. The recipe actually calls for making sandwich cookies with these and raspberry jam.

Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwiches

1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup raspberry jam

Position rack in center of oven, and preheat to 375. Have ready a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening, and 1 cup sugar on medium speed. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger.

Add maple syrup to butter mixture; beat to combine. Beat in egg until well combined. Reduce speed to low; slowly add the reserved flour mixture, a little at a time, until well-blended.

Place remaining cup sugar in a bowl. Measure 2 teaspoons dough; roll into a ball. Roll dough in sugar; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat, spacing balls 3 inches apart. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Form and bake the remaining dough.

Spread about 2 teaspoons jam over half of the cookies; place a second cookie on top of jam-covered ones, making sandwiches. Serve.

Claire

claire797
12-07-2003, 04:35 PM
I finally got around to making the no-molasses, butterscotch pudding mix gingerbread men. They're really good! The dough is very firm. In fact, I needed to moisten it with a bit of water, but that was a good thing. The gingerbread men were easy to cut and held their shape well.

The cookies taste good. They taste like a spice cookie rather than a butterscotch cookie.

Linda in MO
12-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by claire797
I finally got around to making the no-molasses, butterscotch pudding mix gingerbread men. They're really good! The dough is very firm. In fact, I needed to moisten it with a bit of water, but that was a good thing. The gingerbread men were easy to cut and held their shape well.

The cookies taste good. They taste like a spice cookie rather than a butterscotch cookie.

The kids are decorating these right now. :) They're good but we don't have a lot to show for our work since we keep sampling them. ;) Anna, did you bake these for the full amount of time. I baked them for 9 minutes and I think I should have only done 8 minutes. And my dough wasn't very firm. I had to keep putting it back into the fridge. I tried to roll it between waxed paper but that was a disaster. So I just decided to roll them on a floured surface and put waxed paper over the dough and that worked a lot better.

I used unsalted butter so I added 1/8 t. salt to the batter. I also added about 1/2 t. double strength vanilla and 1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg and extra cinnamon. Like Anna said, the butterscotch taste is not pronounced. I'd make them again but probably not anytime soon since making cut-out cookies is definitely not my favorite thing to bake. I'm too impatient! :o

Linda in MO
12-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
Anna, did you bake these for the full amount of time. I baked them for 9 minutes and I think I should have only done 8 minutes.

Just bumping for Anna. And I thought I'd also mention that I didn't roll these to an 1/8 inch. I think that would have been too thin.
Also, these softened up over night and taste even better today, IMO.

claire797
12-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for bumping this up! Don't know how I missed it.

I baked mine for about 12 minutes and they were fine. And like you, I didn't roll the dough 1/8 inch thick. In fact, I think my dough was more like 1/3 inch thick so that would explain why mine took a little longer than yours.

That's funny that your dough was moister than mine. Then again, not surprising. Lately all my doughs have been on the dry side for some reason. Maybe it's the flour?

We had fun baking these and eating them, but I'm not very patient with cut out cookies either, so the next time I do them, I'll probably use my usual gingerbread recipe which contains molasses.

Linda in MO
12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your comments. I used Hodgson's Mill unbleached white flour because that's what I had open. I wasn't sure if that was a good choice for cookie making but it worked fine.