PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is citron?

Mimeea
12-11-2003, 10:51 PM
I've heard it mentioned in various peppernut recipes and other baked goods, but I'm just not sure what citron is. Orange zest? :confused:

Where can you find it? TIA

Middydd
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
I think it's candied chopped citrus peel. It's usually found in the baking aisle with the candied ginger and candied pineapple and other fruits.

CompassRose
12-11-2003, 11:25 PM
A citron is... uh, a citron, as far as I know. The peel is usually with the other candied peels round this time of year, but it's softer and less -- chewy/leathery, more transparent. Kind of pale greenish.

I don't even know what a citron looks like, or if one could eat it on its own...

Oh, mah goodness gracious... more than you ever wanted to know about Citrus medica! (http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html) How I do love the Web!

Shirley Panek
12-12-2003, 06:47 AM
This is from Cook's Thesaurus (http://www.foodsubs.com/):

Under Citrus Fruits:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/citron2.jpg citron = cedro = yuzu Pronunciation: SIHT-ruhn Substitutes: lemon

Under Candied Foods:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/candiedcitron.jpg candied citron peel To make your own: See the candied citrus peel entry.

candied citrus peel To make your own: Peel two grapefruits or three oranges, citrons, or lemons. Scrape the bitter white pith from the peels and discard. Cut the peel into narrow strips and simmer the strips in boiling water until they're tender, then drain off the water from the saucepan. In a separate saucepan, prepare a sugar syrup by combining one cup each of granulated sugar and water, and simmering until the sugar is dissolved. Add enough syrup to the peels so that they are completely covered, and then simmer the mixture until the peels are translucent. Drain, cool, and store in the refrigerator.

Mimeea
12-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

I would have had no idea otherwise...

Valerie226
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
I want to suggest that if you are making a fruitcake or whatever, to taste citron before you add it to the other fruits. I'm not a HUGE fruitcake fan but absolutely will not eat it if includes citron. I can't describe the taste, other than awful, medicinal. my mother used it in fruitcake and stollen.

CompassRose
12-12-2003, 01:14 PM
:D And the citron is my favourite part! I always buy the bigger dish of citron than the other peels when I'm making lebkuchen or fruitcakey things, because I keep nibbling at it -- no point at all in nibbling on a regular candied peel, but citron is delicious to me.

Valerie226
12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
compassrose, what do you think citron tastes like? I used to pick out all the pieces. I'd unwrap the stollen looking for it and flick them put, then eat everything else.

sassafras
12-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Okay, when I read this post, I was thinking, "citron is what I mix with club soda and lime." I was thinking ABSOLUT citron. Lush ;)

Sarah

knunes
12-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Valerie226
I used to pick out all the pieces.

LOL! When I was a kid, I LOVED frozen pudding ice cream....but used to pick out the pieces of citron! ;)

CompassRose
12-12-2003, 10:24 PM
My heart bleeds for all those discarded citron bits... :p

Valerie, I wouldn't say medicinal -- but when I read that link, the one I posted, I was very interested to see that it is used to make petitgrain. That's how I'd describe it: aromatic. But I like all those flowery-flavoured things, me and my freakish medieval tastebuds -- rosewater, orange-blossom cakes, that kind of thing. I'm wearing neroli and petitgrain oil as perfume today, and good citron does taste a bit like that smells.

Valerie226
12-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Citron can arouse strong feelings! both yea and nay. I still suggest tasting for yourself before tossing it in with other candied fruit,dates,etc cause it stands out and if you don't like it you have wasted a lot of expensive ingredients.

edited to say I don't have a sensitive nose but don't like strong smelling things & never wear fragrance. prefer unscented products, can't stand smelly cheese etc. I don't remember if citron had a fragrance but the taste made me think of turpentine.