PDA

View Full Version : Moroccan Chicken and Lentils

Terrytx
01-06-2004, 06:32 AM
This is from the 1/04 issue of BA. Outstanding! Big bold flavors, very spicy (not the hot kind though), and rather easy to do. I cut the recipe in half and served it with a tossed salad so it should have served 6, but I would say serving it as I did it served only 4:rolleyes: . Maybe I should have had another side dish. If you like highly seasoned food, try this one!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moroccan Chicken and Lentils

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 cups water
3 teaspoons salt, divided
1 pound dried brown lentils, rinsed, drained
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves,
thinly sliced
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine 8 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well; rinse with cold water and drain again. Place in large bowl.

Whisk 1 cup olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons cumin, 2 tablespoons chili powder, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt in large measuring cup. Pour 1 cup dressing over warm lentils and toss. Cool.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive in large skillet over high heat. Add onion; saute until dark brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken; saute 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder, and cinnamon. Saute until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.

Arrange lentils on large platter. Place sliced chicken atop lentils. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with parsley. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Source:
"Bon Appetit-1/04"

Kismet
01-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the review! There are so many yummy looking things in that issue of BA! I'll definitely be putting this one on my list.

Alethea
01-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the review Terry, I think this one is going into my "to try" pile. :)

Terrytx
01-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Just wanted to add that this is also great leftover-either cold or heated in the microwave.

RebeccaT
01-06-2004, 02:08 PM
thanks Terry - I marked this one in the BA I picked up in the airport a couple of weeks ago.

One question though - did it really need that much dressing? The 1 cup + of olive oil is sort of freaking me out...

RebeccaT
01-06-2004, 02:38 PM
grr, gremlins didn't bump... :mad:

Terrytx
01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
It sort of freaked me out also, but I did it anyway:eek: I was afraid to cut back because of all the ground spices. I thought it might need that mush to distribute them. I would say to start out with about half that much and add just enough (if needed) to blend the spices well. I did cut back on the oil to saute the chicken to about 2 teaspoons (for 3/4 pounds sliced chicken).

greysangel
01-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Terry that looks fantastic :D Do you have nutritional info by any chance? :)

TIA

JeAnne

kima
01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for posting this terry!

I bet you could heat up a can of lentils and then add the dressing. (not that I would ever commit such blasphemy!!!:eek: :D ).

newcook
01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
JeAnne,

for 12 servings I got:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 387 Calories; 22g Fat (50.0% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 33mg Cholesterol; 597mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

If following Terrytx advice "I cut the recipe in half and served it with a tossed salad so it should have served 6, but I would say serving it as I did it served only 4"

for 8 servings:Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 580 Calories; 33g Fat (50.0% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 19g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 895mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 6 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Daniele

wallycat
01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
This search engine of CL's absolutely STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent 4 hours looking for this recipe (thankfully I printed it first) but wanted to read comments...gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Sure, I find it AFTER I make the dinner :rolleyes:

THis is VERY good. I'd say Jerk chicken was 2nd (asian bbq will always be first I think ;) ) and now this one....

I cut the lentils/dressing in 1/2 and left the remainder the same.
I also added some veggies to the meal.

VERY good :)

THANK YOU for sharing the recipe :)
Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow :D

newcook
01-08-2004, 05:10 PM
The recipe sounds delicious, I'll be trying it soon.

Wallycat, your post makes me want to try those other recipes. Which Jerk chicken recipe are you refering to? I'm assuming Asian BBQ is the Asian Barbecued Chicken. Personally, I count Smothered chicken and barley high up on the list.

Daniele

LHBryan
01-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Terry, just wanted to say thanks for posting this recipe and review. We tried it last weekend and really loved it. And, as you said, the leftovers were great. This will definitely be a frequent repeater for us. I dropped the olive oil to a bit less than 3/4 cup and it was plenty. With DH's help, it was on the table in about 40 minutes max, but it didn't taste at all like a quick dinner.

Thanks again!
-Laura