PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Silicone Bakewear? What Do You Think?

Lynn B
01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Hello!

The muffin tin thread got me thinking about the new flexible, silicone muffin "tins"... and the other silicone bakewear out there now. Does anyone have any? What do you think of it? Do foods bake the same as in traditional (metal) pans? Is it easy to clean? After several uses, does it seem to feel "greasy" like Silpats sometimes can? Do you recommend it? (Inquiring minds need to know! ;))

(For anyone who may not be familiar w/ these new products, here's a link to Chef's Catalog with some pictured :))

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=cprod4130006

Thanks!

Lynn ;)

katygirl
01-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Great question! I've often wondered the same! I see them at Bed Bath and Beyond and Linens and Things and with a 20% off coupon of been tempted, but it would be nice to know a little bit about them first. Any one?

tbb113
01-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Here is another thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52270) on the subject.

helios7
01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Got some for Christmas from DF's family, but I haven't had a chance to make anything with them yet. These ones aren't WS but hopefully they'll be fun. I'm worried about spilling stuff though - they're very bendy. The bundt pan especially - I'm a huge clutz. I can just see the pan gooshing everywhere!

When I use them, I'll report back....

Deanna
01-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Gosh for a minute there I got all excited. Thought this was MY thread on the subject I started yesterday!

Guess I better go look for it.

tks

d

krhm
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
I have a muffin pan and an 8 X 8 pan. They were gifts. The muffins do come out nicely when they're finished, but you have to put a cookie sheet under the silicone because it can not hold the weight of the dough by itself. Since I'm known to be a little sloppy in the kitchen, I almost always spill batter on the cookie sheet as I try to fill the muffin cups. Therefore, I end up with two pans to wash. They are easy to clean, but they do get that greasy feel (like the Silpat) and also discolored a little bit.

On the plus side, they take up little storage space, so while I don't use them all the time, I have them for "emergencies." I wouldn't rush out and replace any of my other bakeware though!

Kari

Lynn B
01-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by tbb113
Here is another thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52270) on the subject.

OOOPS! :o Thanks for the link.

I did a search for "silicone" before posting, but the other thread is spelled "silicon"... I guess that's how I missed it. MY BAD! ;)
Sorry!

Lynn

pumkinmuffin
01-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I love my silicon Flexipans!!!

I was skeptical at first, as my mother had order some from an infomercial and they were awful. Everything stuck and she hated them.

Then I tried one of the Demarle Flexipans, and it worked flawlesly! No greasing required.

My big beef with pans is that if I'm going to go to a lot of effort to bake a dessert, I don't want it to break into pieces trying to remove it from the pan. So this baking professional gives them 2 thumbs way up!

As a side note, I made the yogurt lime cake from the latest issue of the Donna Hay magazine (in my silicon Flexipan). It was sooooo delicious...and it didn't stick to the pan.

lonetree1353
01-10-2004, 08:35 PM
I have the orange silicone 12 muffin pan and love it. Muffins never stick and you don't lose half your muffin on the paper liners. I don't know the brand as this was a Christmas gift last year but I would definitely like to add to my collection.

dlaboriel
01-11-2004, 03:45 AM
I saw them in Bed, Bath and Beyond a few months ago, but passed them up. Maybe now I'll go back and give them a second look.

pumkinmuffin
01-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Here's my take on the pans:

I teach a lot of cooking classes (in addition to writing the cookbooks). So I am always on the lookout for great quality pans that work.

So before the holidays someone turned me on to the Flexipans (the same company that makes Silpats) at a home demonstration. I bought a madeleine pan (although still skeptical). After years of baking madeleines in tradional metal baking tins (which always stick no matter how much Pam or grease I use), I thought that it would be a good test. Let me just tell you that my husband and I were blown away! They needed no greasing, flew out of the pan, the chocolate chips didn't stick, I didn't have to wash the pan inbetween batches (unheard of) and the cookies came out so beautiful they looked like they were purchased from a French bakery!

So not only did I buy more pans, but I signed up as a rep to sell them. This is just my personal experience, but they really are amazing pans!

:)