PDA

View Full Version : Cookbook Challenge: a flash in the pan

gabbyh
01-17-2004, 06:04 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! is all I can say...we're still licking our chops from the first recipe tried: "chicken with sweet peppers and balsamic vinegar"...

Sorry for not adding this one to the Jan Challenge thread...but I feel this book deserves its own thread!

The authors are brooke dojny and melanie barnard, the same two that write the: "Every-Night Cooking" column for Bon Appetit mag...

It's basically "fast, fabulous recipes in a single skillet"...

The funny thing is, my new kitchen should be up and running inside of 2-3 weeks...cabinets are here, dishwasher installed and working:D

Hard to believe I've been w/o a kitchen since August of 2002, when we moved out of my sister's house, and into our "love nest":D

And now I find a cookbook with easy, great one-skillet recipes...I made this one in an electric fry pan...so here it is:

chicken with sweet peppers and balsamic vinegar

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used Tyson frozen from Costco)

Salt and freshly ground pepper (I only used the pepper)

4 Tbls. olive oil (I used 2 only)

4 c. thinly sliced mixed red, yellow, orange, and/or green bell peppers (I used red, orange, yellow)

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped

1/4 c. fresh basil

3 Tbls. high-quality balsamic vinegar (I used fig balsamic)

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbls. of the oil. Saute the chicken over medium heat, turning once, until golden on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Add the remaining 2 Tbls. of oil to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Cook the bell peppers and onion, stirring often, until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in about half of the basil and the vinegar. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining basil and season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

~Gail

Laura B
01-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Ack! I just added ANOTHER cookbook to my wish list. :D Thanks for the review!