PDA

View Full Version : More on travel....New Mexico thoughts???

kwormann
01-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Ive always wanted to go to New Mexico....

what is it like in the summer in the mountains??

that is my main question. I want to go there, but also want a break from the searing Housotn heat and humidity. I know it wont be as crisp and cool as, lets say, Canada, but if its a bit cooler....

anyone know? Any great things to say about NM as a whole???

SueK
01-19-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm sure you'll here from the Albuquerqians on the board, but I have visited my sister there many times in the summer. It does get pretty darn hot, but it's a dry heat. :) Seriously, compared to our awful humidity in PA, I thought the weather was great.

Go to Santa Fe if you go - it's a gorgeous town with great restaurants. I know there have been a couple threads on that town.

Anyway, I love New Mexico no matter what time of year and would love to live there!

Terrytx
01-19-2004, 09:22 AM
I love New Mex too, and agree with SueK-you have to go to Santa Fe. We went in June and only wore shorts 1 day, the rest of the time it was cool enough for jeans and sometimes a jacket, depending on where you are.

kwormann
01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Thats kind of what I wondered about the elevation...maybe it would be cooler:)

hannah_phi
01-19-2004, 12:44 PM
I've only lived in Albuquerque for a little over a year and a half, so I'm not an expert or anything. The weather in the mountains is a bit cooler than down here (about 10 degrees) and because the heat is dry I find it much more bearable than the heat on the East Coast, for instance. It also depends on what time of summer you're thinking of coming. July is the hottest part of the year, temps down here often reach the triple digits. Up in the mountains the temps are in the ninetys. I would also recommend Santa Fe, but I would add Taos to the list too. Taos is a beautiful place. The Rio Grande canyon is amazing. If you're interested in a funky Southwest experience I would add Jemez Springs to the list, at least for a day trip. The mineral baths there are the perfect follow up to a long hike in the mountains.

Hope you make it out here and enjoy your trip!

Robyn1007
01-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi,

Though I now live in Virginia I lived in New Mexico for 9 years, 3 of which were in Santa Fe, 6 in Las Cruces. If you are looking for cool weather, avoid the southern part of the state. But SueK and Terrytx are right the northern mountains are wonderful during the summer for the most part. Santa Fe is great and I would be happy to give you advice on where to stay and what to see if you want to pm me. I would also reccommend Taos, Angel Fire (for total get away and relaxation).

Enjoy, its a beautiful state!

Robyn

Terrytx
01-19-2004, 02:44 PM
We also enjoyed Taos and Angel Fire

ellamay
01-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I have lived in NM almost my whole life -- 11 years in southern NM (Las Cruces), 7 years on the Eastern side of the state and 6 years in Albuquerque. (I spent two years in So. Colorado at college.)

It gets pretty darn hot here in the summertime. We had 30 consecutive days last summer where the temperature was over 90, and also had some 100-degree and up days. However, it is a very dry heat, which is nice for people coming from humidity, but can cause problems for people when they don't drink enough water to stay hydrated.

It starts heating up in Albuquerque in late April and May, and we usually get our first 100-degree day in late June. "High summer" for us, where the heat is the most intense, is usually mid-July through late August. It doesn't really cool down until September. We also traditionally get "monsoon" rains in July and August, where it clouds up and rains nearly every afternoon and we get some major thunderstorms at night. Those passed us by last year, because of the drought.

The southern part of the state is probably something you'll want to avoid in high summer. I grew up mainly in Las Cruces, my parents still live there, and they had temps as high as 110 there last summer. In this part of the state, though, the weather is pretty nice and the evenings are great through May and June. Santa Fe and the surrounding mountain/forest areas are very pretty in midsummer and there's lots to do around Santa Fe in the summertime - the Santa Fe Opera is in season, there are always lots of fairs and flea markets, etc.

One thing I will say is that we, like all other states in the west/southwest, are enduring water shortages due to drought conditions. At various points last year many of our national parks and forests were closed completely, for long periods of time, due to fire risk. There are basically no watersport activity areas left in the state due to extremely low water levels in lakes and resevoirs. So if you're coming to hike, boat, camp, fish etc., come early in the summer before things get shut down, and as far as watersports go...it's still possible in some areas, but in my opinion you probably want to go somewhere else, as the lakes that are left are very low and the water quality is terrible.

I love my state and think it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I wish more people would come visit. :) If you need some suggestions about places to go, places to stay and things to do, I'd be happy to help out.