PDA

View Full Version : Miso Soup

JulieM
01-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I am trying to like miso soup. Actually, when I've eaten it in restaurants, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's just sort of "musky" and salty and I don't like it very much. I thought I might try making it at home. Anyone have tried and true recipes they could share, as well as any advice?

TerriS
01-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Do you have a good Asian market near you? The key is to be able to get good ingredients, particularly bonito flakes or stock (dried fish flakes, basically) and good miso.

I use a recipe in Moosewood Low Fat Favorites cookbook. Good miso uses konbu dashi, or broth made with seaweed (konbu). I use Trader Joe's boxed broths, usually roasted vegetable, and simmer some dried seaweed in it for a few minutes. Then I remove the seaweed, add bonito stock granules, and simmer a little longer. Then some chopped green onions, tofu, and, last of all, after everything is warmed up and simmering, the miso. I prefer lighter miso in my soup. It's important to not boil the soup once it has the miso in it, because boiling kills all the happy little enzymes in the miso.

I'm sorry I don't have the amounts with me, but I kind of have to fudge them based on what's in the recipe and then looking at any instructions that come with them to make sure the amounts are right.

The hardest part is getting good seaweed, bonito, and miso. But it comes out just wonderfully and is easy to make once you have the ingredients.

anneg
01-22-2004, 12:58 PM
This Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup posted by Kima is non-traditional (no bonito or konbu) but very tasty!

Anne

Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup

1/2 lb. dried soba noodles
4c. chicken stock
2 c. water
1/4c. yellow miso
1 tsp. peeled and grated ginger
1 skinless, boneless whole chicken breast, about 1/2lb. cut into thin strips
2c. packed baby spinach leaves
2 green onions including tender green parts, thinly sliced

Bring a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the stock, water, miso and ginger. Whisk together and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the miso is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.

Add the chicken strips and cook until the chicken is just opaque throughout, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until slightly softened but still bright green, about 1 minute. Add the green onion and cook for 1 minute longer. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.

Using tongs, divide the noodles evenly among warmed bowls and then ladle in the soup. Serve immediately.

Cut into fourths…5 pts per serving:

1 tbs miso
1 oz soba noodles (30g)

tbb113
01-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I made a VERY simple miso soup on Monday for my son's school project. It was good, but it would have been even better with YELLOW miso (I could only find a dark miso so when I do it again to use up the miso I would use more water or less miso.)

3 cups water
1/2 cup miso
1/2 cup tofu (cubed)
2 tbsp dashinmoto
2 Scallions for garnish (sliced into rounds)

Bring water to a boil. Add miso and dashinmoto, return to a boil. Add tofu (I don't think I boiled it again...but I could be wrong. Recipe is at home...I'm at work :rolleyes: )

Pour into bowls. Add scallions.

Serves 4

aggie94
01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
This is an Epicurious recipe that a group of us at a get-together of friends last summer. It went over very well. In fact, I think a triple or quadruple batch got completely polished off:

MISO SOUP
Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 30 minutes

Dashi
1 (2- to 3-inch piece) kombu (dried kelp)
3 cups cold water
1 (5-g) package katsuo bushi (dried bonito flakes; 1/2 cup)

2 tablespoons shiro miso (white fermented-soybean paste)
1/4 pound soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens

Special equipment: cheesecloth

Make dashi:
Wipe any sand or salt from kombu with a dampened cloth. Bring kombu and water just to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat. Remove kombu with tongs and reserve for another use.

Sprinkle katsuo bushi over liquid and remove pan from heat. Let stand 3 minutes, then pour through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a bowl.

Prepare soup:
Stir together misto and 1/4 cup dashi in a bowl until smooth. Heat remaining dashi in saucepan over moderately high heat until hot, then gently stir in tofu. Simmer 1minute and remove from heat. Immediately stir in miso mixture and and scallion greens and serve.

Makes about 3 cups (serves 4).

Gourmet
September 2001

bkiaj
01-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I used to live in Japan and this is how I learned to make instant miso soup. My children love it and DH and I feel it tastes authentic (it gets good reviews from Japanese friends when they come for dinner).

3 cups water
1 teaspoon hon-dashi (comes in a small jar at Asian markets)

bring to a boil, add 1 package cubed tofu. bring to a simmer.

Mix some of the broth with 3 Tablespoons red miso. Whisk until smooth. Return to pan. Do not boil, but heat until warm.

Garnish with sliced onions.

In Japan I would add Konbu, but I don't have a readily available supply so I just use tofu now.

Enjoy!
Karen

JulieM
01-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Thank you all so much! I have printed this entire thread and will plan a visit to the nearest asian market so I can get started experimenting.:D

gaja
01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
I have found that the miso you use makes a tremendous difference. The Angelica Home Kitchen recommends the Miso Master Mellow Barley Miso and it is truly wonderful.