PDA

View Full Version : Taking Hotel Soaps etc.?

ewatkins
02-02-2004, 09:11 AM
What is your opinion on taking home the little samples of soap and such that are in hotel bathrooms? I volunteer in a food pantry, and they always need toiletries. They asked us to publicize this need to people who travel. I feel a little funny about it. If you are not going to actually use the stuff in the hotel, shouldn't you leave it for the next person? DH says it is part of the cost of the room and you can keep it. If you are there for a few days, you could get quite a stash if they replenish each day. Comments?

Beth H
02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Gosh - I always thought those soaps/shampoos, etc. were there for the taking! I certainly have picked some up over the years and carry them with me in my overnight bag when I'm somewhere that might not have shampoo. I think your DH is right - those small little travel things are part of the room cost. Of course I would not advocate taking towels, robes or other large things! :)

funnybone
02-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ewatkins
DH says it is part of the cost of the room and you can keep it. If you are there for a few days, you could get quite a stash if they replenish each day. Comments?

I agree with your DH. It's not like you're taking a robe or something else. The soap costs pennies and it's there for your use. You can choose to use it or not. It's like the newspaper - you get one whether you read it or not. I always bring my own soap because I have dry skin and most hotels don't have nice soap. I have taken the soap before, but usually I just leave it as I figure I won't use it at home either. If you are going to give it to a homeless shelter, then I say take it. It's not like the maid writes a report stating who uses the soap or not (or does she :confused: ).

lhall
02-02-2004, 09:43 AM
I only take them if it's nice soap, but I don't take the shampoo or conditioner.

I agree, they are part of the room expense. I hadn't thought of taking them for shelters. That's actually a good idea.

Leigh

SusanMac
02-02-2004, 09:48 AM
There's a reason they are travel size. Both the hotel and the shampoo/soap mfg want you to take them, use them, hand them out to friends and proliferate the world with their little Hyatt/Marriott logos! Definitely don't feel bad. I worked at a company several years ago that had a program to collect travel shampoos/soaps for local shelters. It's a good thing.

JHolcomb
02-02-2004, 09:55 AM
You're supposed to take them. It costs the hotel the same amt of $$ whether you use them there or whether you take them and use them later, right?

I only take the decent stuff like Aveda though.

SueK
02-02-2004, 09:57 AM
I usually only take them if it's Bath and Body Works products, but DH takes everything. That's actually a great idea for shelters!

Peggy
02-02-2004, 10:29 AM
I usually take them. When DD was little I would bring them home to her as a gift from my trip. She was into trying different shampoos and soaps so she thought it was a real treat to get the little samples. Better than an expensive gift bought at an airport gift shop that she would probably never use anyway!;) Over the years we collected quite a stash. When she was in Girl Scouts, she decided to use the extras to make little gift packages for women in a homeless shelter. We bought some pretty netting and put a shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap in each. We also bought small packages of kleenex and combs to put inside. She decorated the little gifts packages and then delivered them. It went towards a merit badge and she felt good about it too!:)

Peggy

aggie94
02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
I take them if they're quality products that I would use myself. Like others have already said, what difference does it make if you use them there or take them home and use them later? I stock a basket in our guest bathroom with the travel-sized soaps, lotions, and shampoo & conditioner, for overnight guests who forget to bring that stuff or for the unexpected overnight guests who hadn't anticipated staying. It's very handy.

At a hotel in Seattle that I stayed at for a few nights, I happened to stop back by the room one afternoon when the cleaning person was there, and I had left her a little tip (since I was staying multiple nights). She was soooo thankful and appreciative of the tip that she left me a small stash of Aveda travel-size products. They're clearly meant to be taken.

Gail
02-02-2004, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't have any trepidation about taking disposable items clearly meant for your use as part of the hotel package. You wouldn't think twice asking the maid for an extra bottle of shampoo or soap if you needed it during your stay, why feel guilty about taking it home-- especially if you know it's going to help out someone who needs it.

...now taking towels, ash trays, robes and keys is another matter...

Valerie226
02-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I've assumed they were meant for taking. free advertising for the hotel. I take what I will actually use, & like aggie94 keep a few in the guest room for houseguests who forget things.

ellery
02-02-2004, 11:55 AM
I can't help it. I'm a social worker through and through.

Just to put my two cents worth in... these toiletry items are very much appreciated by shelters of all sorts - homeless shelters, battered women's shelters, emergency shelters for kids, group homes for kids, etc. I've worked in all of these places, and you would be amazed how much these are appreciated by someone who literally has nothing (when you're fleeing in the middle of the night you forget hygeine stuff, go figure). The kids I used to work with were always sad that they had to use the soap and shampoo that the hospital provided (nothing worse than generic hospital shampoo when you're an appearance-stressed teenaged girl!) and so excited when I could give them all the samples that my ever-traveling DBF collects.

So taking up a collection and donating them somewhere is a very nice thing. ;) (also those toothbrushes and hairbrushes and makeup samples)

Okay. I'll get off my soapbox now. Just had to get that off my chest! :)

Leah

funniegrrl
02-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't take them unless I've opened them and used them. I DON'T think they're "there for the taking" and "part of the cost of the room." They're there for you to use if you need them, not to take home to use later. When you are in a restaurant, do you snag the sugar packets on the table to use in your coffee at home?

If shelters and the like need items like this, why not ask local hotels to DONATE them? I think asking people to take these items from their hotel rooms in order to give to someone else to use is questionable. I certainly wouldn't do it.

tbb113
02-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I do take them, but only on the last day since I don't want the hotel to keep restocking the room. It is really no different than taking the ashtray that advertises the name of the hotel when you really think about it. All of this in total increases the cost of the hotel room.

Regarding shelters...I know that shelters are thankful for any donations, but the shelter that we help feed/clothe/etc from our temple has requested FULL-SIZE bottles. I don't know why...just stating that they do.

stefania4
02-02-2004, 12:44 PM
I always take them, and ask my friends to, too. When I was a rape crisis counselor I brought them into the hospital (we had a shower for after the exam). Now that I work with homeless shelters I wait until I have a basketful and bring them to a shelter when I'm there for a meeting.

ellery
02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by funniegrrl

If shelters and the like need items like this, why not ask local hotels to DONATE them? I think asking people to take these items from their hotel rooms in order to give to someone else to use is questionable. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Oh good grief. I'm not advocating that people run out and steal. I'm just saying that if you happen to have them, for whatever reason, it's nice to donate them. People can certainly go out and buy them and give them away too.

Jill123
02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
My FIL travels a lot and spends a lot of time in hotel rooms. He (for some unknown reason) brings empty rolls of toilet paper from home with him so he has something to leave behind when he takes the hotel t.p.!

He doesn't do this for charity or anything worthwhile -- he brings them home and uses them at home and then repeats the cycle on his next trip.

(What kills me every time is Why leave the empty rolls? Do you think housekeeping is counting how many full rolls were left and then going through the trash and counting the empty rolls? And if they do, would you rather they know you just took the t.p. or have them think you have "plumbing" so bad that you went through three rolls in two nights?!?)

And before you bash him TOO hard (we tease him all the time about it and make jokes when he stays at our house about stealing the t.p.) -- He's really a nice, normal guy who has this one weird quirk.

KimKelly
02-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Jill123
My FIL travels a lot and spends a lot of time in hotel rooms. He (for some unknown reason) brings empty rolls of toilet paper from home with him so he has something to leave behind when he takes the hotel t.p.!

That is TOO funny! I'm LOL on that one.

My husband travels for his job as well and many times brings home the shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and lotions. My 4 year old daughter gets a thrill when he gives her one, but most of them go to the local shelters. We have also donated lots of pens to our local school! I have a friend in the hotel biz, and I can say for sure that whether you take the soaps or not has no difference on the hotels' bottom lines. Believe me, you are paying for it! And especially if you open the shampoo and use it once, they are going to throw it away. Would you use shampoo that someone else had opened? I know how much the shelters appreciate it.

Just our opinion!

K