PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Basil - Need Recipes

goldilocks
02-01-2001, 01:54 PM
I originally bought a bunch of basil for the Red Pepper Pesto Pizza, but I will have a bunch left and want to use it up in other recipes. Do you think I could make 2 batches of this pesto and freeze one? Otherwise, I guess I will just chop up the leaves and freeze in ice cube trays. Thanks in advance for posting your recipes.

Leanne
02-01-2001, 02:25 PM
My favorite is fresh (usually summer) tomatoes sliced & stacked with fresh basil & fresh mozarella & then drizzled with balsamic vinegar. mmm...

Otherwise - I use it in pasta all the time. Pizza is good with it & so are calzones.

pmmahan
02-01-2001, 02:27 PM
I would recommend the pesto - I made my own for the first time last week and loved it! It was delicious!

cindyluwho
02-01-2001, 02:41 PM
I would recommend making pesto and freezing it too...in the summer I made a huge batch of pesto because I only needed a few leaves of basil for my recipe and the bunch of basil I bought was enormous because it was in season. I put it in the freezer, and now I use it from time to time on pasta (I just use a spoon and scoop out however much I need). It's very convenient!

Leslie w
02-01-2001, 02:50 PM
Bruschetta is a great way to use left over basil. It's just toasted Italian bread topped w/ fresh tomatoes, basil and a little garlic. Makes a great appetizer. I also like spagetti tossed w/ fresh tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, pinenuts and lots of basil. YMMMMMMM! Oh and don't forget the parmesian cheese.

kabs
02-01-2001, 03:00 PM
I have to recommend the Tomato-Basil soup that was in CL sometime over the summer. It's a great soup to have in the winter, too! Of course, one must make substitions...Due to the lack of fresh tomatoes this time of year, I have used canned diced tomatoes in the past and it turns out great. For a variation, try the diced tomatoes w/ different spices as well.

Now that I am thinking back on it, I don't know how much basil there really was in this recipe! My mind is blanking on whether it was really called Tomato-Basil soup, too! Maybe someone else can help me out. When I saw your post, my mind immediately jumped to this soup, so there must be a reason for that, right? Forgive my confusion....

Natasha
02-01-2001, 03:08 PM
For more suggestions, click on:
http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20000807-1-000366.html

I heartily recommend the curried noodles!

kabs
02-01-2001, 03:18 PM
This is purely for my own peace of mind-
http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/000873.html

I felt as tho I'd lost my marbles by the end of my other post! I was right about the name of the soup- and the recipe is in this old thread, and so are some reviews of the yummy tomato-basil soup.

Danielle
02-01-2001, 03:31 PM
I can't remember what issue it was in, but one of the Reader's Recipes was Chicken Bruschetta, and it called for fresh basil. It is a delicious and easy dish.

SHERRY
02-01-2001, 03:46 PM
This is a great recipe that uses fresh basil. I recently posted it in my post on Restaurant recipes http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

* Exported from MasterCook *

Murray Steak Pasta

Recipe By :Murray's Steak House...MN
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 Ounce Top sirloin -- cut to 1/4" x 3" across grain
1 Tblsp Worstershire sauce
1/8 Tsp. Black pepper
1/2 Tsp. Dry whole oregano leaves (I use crushed)
8 Ounces Penne pasta -- cooked according to package
1 can Tomatoes -- diced, italian seasoned
2 whole medium cloves of garlic -- Minced
4 Ounces Fresh mushrooms -- thinly sliced
1/4 Cup green onion -- Sliced
1 1/2 Tblsp fresh basil chopped
1 Pinch Salt and pepper
1/2 Ounce Shredded parmesan cheese

Mix the steak with worcestershire sauce, black pepper and oregano leaves.
Let marinade at least 10-20 minutes. In a saute pan, heat olive oil over
high heat and add steak strips and brown each side quickly. Remove steak
and set aside. Turn heat down to medium and add the tomatoes, garlic and
mushrooms, stir and cook until a sauce forms. Add steak, season sauce
with salt and pepper, and simmer a few minutes to let flavors mix. Add
the cooked, drained pasta, green onions and basil. Toss pasta well into
the sauce. Remove from heat, place in serving dish and garnish with
parmesan cheese.

Recieved from KARE 11 news in MN. Recipe from Murray's Steak House in MN.

Linda in MO
02-01-2001, 04:28 PM
This is definitely NOT light, but it is tasty. I did use 1/2 and 1/2 for the cream though, but if I remember right the sauce looked a little curdled. Still tasted good though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken in Basil Cream

Recipe By :Grand Prize winner, Quick Cooking, July/Aug 98 pg. 28 (slightly adapted)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken , Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 jar sliced pimentos -- (2 ounces) drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil -- minced
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place milk and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls.

Dip chicken in the milk, then coat with breadcrumbs. In a skillet over medium heat, fry chicken in butter or margarine on both sides until the juices run clear, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and keep warm in the oven.

Add the broth to the skillet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir to loosen browned bits from pan.

Stir in the cream and pimentos; boil and stir for one minute.

Reduce heat; add the Parmesan cheese, basil, and black pepper. Simmer and stir until heated through. To serve, pour the sauce over the chicken.

Serving Ideas : Serve with egg noodles or favorite pasta.

NOTES : I used 1/2 and 1/2, but will try whipping cream next time.

kwormann
02-01-2001, 08:13 PM
TIP TIP TIP

WHen freezin pesto, put a touch of cooking spray in ice cube trays, the freeze it that way. When frozen, just pop it out and out in freezer bags. It is already in serv/2 serv (depending on how much you like on your pasta)

We also love pesto as a substitution for red sauce on pizza! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Kim