PDA

View Full Version : cookbook to make you drool

boisewinesnob
02-14-2004, 01:41 PM
You guys have to look at some of these recipes titles/menu items from great Seattle restaurants! I have the collection from 2000, but I went to the public tv website to see what is included for 2004. I noticed they have included quite a few from BC, too.
Click on the thing that says "KCTS Chefs Index" and you can see which restaurant/chef/recipe is listed (but you have to get the cookbook to get the actual recipe). It's still fun to dream and drool :D
I'm tempted to order this year's too :o

http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/chefs/chefsindex/index.asp

wallycat
02-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Here's one of the recipes ...I was able to link to the recipes and get this...is this what you were referring to ??
Looks yummy :)

Drunken Chicken "Joi Gai"
From KCTS Cooks

Ingredients

1 3 1/2-pound chicken
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 scallions, trimmed and cut in half
3 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger

For the wine sauce:
3 tablespoons Shao-Hsing wine or dry sherry
3 tablespoons steamed chicken liquid
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch freshly ground white pepper
Directions

1. Clean the chicken and remove the fat and membranes. Wash under cold running water, rinse and drain. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup salt, rub the outside well, rinse, drain and dry well with paper towels.

2. Place the chicken in a steamproof dish, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and the sugar inside the cavity and out. Place 1 scallion and 1 slice of ginger in the cavity, the others along its sides. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a wok. Place the dish containing the chicken on a rack over the boiling water, cover and steam for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Have boiling water on hand to replenish any water that evaporates.

3. Turn off the heat; remove the chicken from the steamer, and reserve. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.

4. When the chicken is cool to the touch, cut into bite-size pieces and place in a deep serving dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, place in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 4 hours, to become "drunk." Serve as either a small dish appetizer or a first course.
Notes

This traditional dish from Shanghai is often referred to as "wine chicken," but not in Shanghai, where those who cook it and those who eat it with pleasure call it joi gai, or "drunken chicken." The classic way of cooking this chicken is to steam it whole. I have done a version of it in which I boil it, and it is a fine dish, but what follows is "drunken chicken" as it is supposed to be cooked, accompanied by its "drunken" sauce.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

yorkshirepud
02-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Here's a link (http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/recipes/index.htm) to more.

boisewinesnob
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by wallycat
Here's one of the recipes ...I was able to link to the recipes and get this...is this what you were referring to ??

That does look good, but I was actually looking at the link that lists all the restaurants and recipes included in their fundraising cookbooks. :)

It says Microsoft Excel Worksheet underneath the link that I'm looking at, but I don't think I can directly link that here (or maybe I can).

wallycat
02-14-2004, 02:04 PM
It downloads the recipe name and chef but not the actual recipe...sigh.
sorry...

boisewinesnob
02-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by wallycat
It downloads the recipe name and chef but not the actual recipe...sigh.
sorry...

I knew it didn't have the actual recipes (which I mentioned in the first post) but I went back to edit my original post as it was not very well-worded. I changed it to "recipe titles/menu items" so people would know they have to actually buy the book to get the recipe. Sorry for my stupid wording :o ;)

Randi R
02-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by boisewinesnob
I'm tempted to order this year's too :o

http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/chefs/chefsindex/index.asp

If you do Suzy, the party's at your house...:D :D

lonetree1353
02-14-2004, 07:02 PM
boisewinesnob... The cookbook looks very impressive. I see they have a few restaurants from Victoria in it as well. Kiplings in the Empress has a fabulous buffet and the bread and butter pudding is excellent.

boisewinesnob
02-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Randi R

If you do Suzy, the party's at your house...:D :D

:D Especially if I make the ganache from El Gaucho :) :)