PDA

View Full Version : Really Novice Shrimp Question - Don't Laugh!

slknight
02-27-2004, 03:42 PM
We're going to a surprise party tomorrow night that is a Mexican potluck. Since we're driving fairly far to get there, I wanted to bring something that transports easily. I did a search and came up with Terrytx's Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.

Personally, I don't eat shrimp. I've never bought or cooked them, but I thought the recipe sounded pretty simple and it is Maine shrimp season (99 cents a pound or something cheap like that).

So my question is, is it ok to use the Maine shrimp? They are not the big ones like the recipe calls for. They are tiny. Do I need to devein them? Do I still cook them for 2 to 3 minutes, or do I cook them less?

I have no idea how many people are going to be there. Think I should double the recipe? Also, what do you serve this with?

Thanks for your help!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers & Snacks Seafood
Tex-Mex

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
6 cups water
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Avocado slices, lime wedges, saltines,
optional

Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired.

Bring 6 cups water and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan; add shrimp. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain shrimp, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.

Stir together reserved liquid, ketchup, and next 3 ingredients. Stir in shrimp, tomato, and cilantro. Chill. Serve with avocado slices, lime wedges, and saltines, if desired.

Per serving: 172 cal. 2.1 g fat, 21.8 g pro, 17.8g carb, 154 mg chol, 795 mg sod.

Source:
"Southern Living-10/00"

sneezles
02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by slknight
So my question is, is it ok to use the Maine shrimp? They are not the big ones like the recipe calls for. They are tiny. Do I need to devein them? Do I still cook them for 2 to 3 minutes, or do I cook them less?

I have no idea how many people are going to be there. Think I should double the recipe? Also, what do you serve this with?

Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about being a Novice, I would probably have to post similar questions about lobster...
1)In order to answer you ?'s I would have to know how small is tiny?

2) Deveining usually isn't necessary with the small ones and really just aestetics for the big ones. This picture is from a Maine website and says ther are 51-70 count per pound, at that size I would even peel them beofre cooking. We've been to many shrimp boils where it's peel and eat.

http://www.mainelobsterdirect.com/products/images/113.jpg

3)If you shrimp is that cheap I would probably triple the recipe but then I'm surrounded by shrimp lovers (me included).

4) If you do about 2 or 3 pounds it will still be about 2-3 minutes to cook them.

5) To my knowledge this is pretty much served as the dish. You could put the cooked shrimp on a bed of lettuce with tomato slices and boiled eggs quarters.

slknight
02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks, sneezles. I don't know *how* tiny. I just know that native Maine shrimp are small compared to others. :confused: Did you say you would or would NOT peel them? Wasn't sure if you made a typo.

Thanks!

sneezles
02-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by slknight
Thanks, sneezles. I don't know *how* tiny. I just know that native Maine shrimp are small compared to others. :confused: Did you say you would or would NOT peel them? Wasn't sure if you made a typo.

Thanks!

I would not peel them! :D Just noticed that post is riddled with typos, sorry! :o