PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recipes with Miso

akerbert
02-05-2001, 04:39 PM
Purchased miso a couple months ago, but it just sits in my pantry, along with the tahini I purchased at the same time.

Have been able to find lots of Miso Soup recipes, but nothing else. Any suggestions for either the miso or tahini?

sneezles
02-05-2001, 04:47 PM
In the July '00 issue of CL there is a recipe called Stellar Sesame Shrimp with Miso Dipping Sauce, it's great!

akerbert
02-05-2001, 04:51 PM
Thank you! I will check it out.

sneezles
02-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Do you have the 2001 CL Annual? There are two other recipes listed Miso Chicken with Brown Rice and Miso Salmon with Asparagus. I haven't tried either one but thought you might be interested.

emilycat
02-05-2001, 05:05 PM
Gosh, I'm sure I have tons of recipes, but these are the ones that use the largest amounts...

For the tahini, I would use it to make hummus or baba ganouj; for the miso, well, there are loads of different kinds of miso soups, but you already have those...

I have a recipe for Everyday Split Pea soup that uses it, as well as a Ginger-Miso dressing that I haven't made but looks delicious. Let me know if you'd like either of them.

Emily

akerbert
02-05-2001, 05:24 PM
Sneezles,
Haven't received my CL 2001 yet, but I ordered it. In which month do these recipes appear? I do have all of the 2000 magazines.

Thanks.

(P.S. Don't you wish they would call the book that has all of the 2000 recipes, the 2000 Annual instead of the 2001 Annual?)

akerbert
02-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Emily, I would love the Ginger-Miso dressing! Thanks!

Wendy w
02-05-2001, 06:07 PM
You asked for tahini & hummus recipes, you've got them - courtesy of Epicurious. The only one that I have tried is the Black Bean one. You may want to see the recent hummus thread for more ideas-including my favorite recipe!

RED PEPPER HUMMUS
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick-peas), drained
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers from jar

With processor running, drop garlic through feed tube and mince. Scrape down sides of work bowl. Add chick-peas, tahini and lemon juice; process until mixture is smooth. Add roasted peppers; process until peppers are finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer hummus to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes about 2 cups.
Bon Appétit
January 1994

HUMMUS WITH YOGURT AND LEMON
In this modified version of the Middle Eastern garbanzo bean dip, yogurt is used to replace some of the high-fat tahini (sesame seed paste). The dip is great with fresh vegetables or toasted pita bread wedges.
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
2 large garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Mince garlic in processor. Add remaining ingredients; blend until coarse puree forms, occasionally scraping down sides of work bowl. Season hummus to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Bon Appétit
October 1997

BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
This dip is also nice with raw vegetables.
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
3/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)*
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pita bread rounds, cut into triangles
Combine first 9 ingredients in processor until smooth. Season hummus to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon hummus into bowl. Serve with pita triangles.
Makes 3 1/2 cups.

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SANDWICHES WITH TAHINI SAUCE
12 slices crusty whole wheat bread
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large portobello mushrooms (about 1 1/4 pounds), stemmed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun seasoning*
2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning

2/3 cup purchased ranch dressing
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)**
1/4 cup milk
12 thin tomato slices
6 thin slices Swiss cheese
Red leaf lettuce
Preheat broiler. Place bread in single layer on baking sheet. Broil until toasted.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add Creole seasoning and lemon pepper seasoning; sauté 2 minutes.

Whisk ranch dressing, tahini and milk in medium bowl to blend. Divide mushroom-onion mixture among 6 toasted bread slices. Top each with 1 tablespoon tahini sauce, 2 tomato slices, 1 slice Swiss cheese and lettuce. Top with second toasted bread slice and serve.
Makes 6 sandwiches.
Bon Appétit
June 2000

GARBANZO BEAN AND TAHINI BURGERS
1 15- to 16-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed, drained
3 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon tahini
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 pita bread rounds, warmed, halved horizontally
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped tomatoes
Using fork, coarsely mash 3/4 cup garbanzo beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion and next 3 ingredients. Puree remaining garbanzo beans, egg white, tahini and garlic in processor until almost smooth. Stir into mashed garbanzo bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
Meanwhile, mix yogurt, hot pepper sauce and cumin in small bowl.
Place burgers in pita halves. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and yogurt.
Serves 4.
Per serving: calories, 242; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.
Bon Appétit
July 1999

akerbert
02-05-2001, 06:30 PM
Yum. The Portobello sandwiches sound great!!
Thanks!

Originally posted by Wendy w:
You asked for tahini & hummus recipes, you've got them - courtesy of Epicurious. The only one that I have tried is the Black Bean one. You may want to see the recent hummus thread for more ideas-including my favorite recipe!

RED PEPPER HUMMUS
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick-peas), drained
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers from jar

With processor running, drop garlic through feed tube and mince. Scrape down sides of work bowl. Add chick-peas, tahini and lemon juice; process until mixture is smooth. Add roasted peppers; process until peppers are finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer hummus to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes about 2 cups.
Bon Appétit
January 1994

HUMMUS WITH YOGURT AND LEMON
In this modified version of the Middle Eastern garbanzo bean dip, yogurt is used to replace some of the high-fat tahini (sesame seed paste). The dip is great with fresh vegetables or toasted pita bread wedges.
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
2 large garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Mince garlic in processor. Add remaining ingredients; blend until coarse puree forms, occasionally scraping down sides of work bowl. Season hummus to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Bon Appétit
October 1997

BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
This dip is also nice with raw vegetables.
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
3/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)*
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pita bread rounds, cut into triangles
Combine first 9 ingredients in processor until smooth. Season hummus to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon hummus into bowl. Serve with pita triangles.
Makes 3 1/2 cups.

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SANDWICHES WITH TAHINI SAUCE
12 slices crusty whole wheat bread
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large portobello mushrooms (about 1 1/4 pounds), stemmed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun seasoning*
2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning

2/3 cup purchased ranch dressing
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)**
1/4 cup milk
12 thin tomato slices
6 thin slices Swiss cheese
Red leaf lettuce
Preheat broiler. Place bread in single layer on baking sheet. Broil until toasted.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add Creole seasoning and lemon pepper seasoning; sauté 2 minutes.

Whisk ranch dressing, tahini and milk in medium bowl to blend. Divide mushroom-onion mixture among 6 toasted bread slices. Top each with 1 tablespoon tahini sauce, 2 tomato slices, 1 slice Swiss cheese and lettuce. Top with second toasted bread slice and serve.
Makes 6 sandwiches.
Bon Appétit
June 2000

GARBANZO BEAN AND TAHINI BURGERS
1 15- to 16-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed, drained
3 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon tahini
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 pita bread rounds, warmed, halved horizontally
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped tomatoes
Using fork, coarsely mash 3/4 cup garbanzo beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion and next 3 ingredients. Puree remaining garbanzo beans, egg white, tahini and garlic in processor until almost smooth. Stir into mashed garbanzo bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
Meanwhile, mix yogurt, hot pepper sauce and cumin in small bowl.
Place burgers in pita halves. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and yogurt.
Serves 4.
Per serving: calories, 242; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.
Bon Appétit
July 1999

sneezles
02-05-2001, 06:35 PM
The Miso Chicken is in the Jan/Feb issue and the salmon one is in the March issue.

Gail
02-05-2001, 09:14 PM
What kind of miso is this? I've got a miso-glazed cod recipe (which I'd be willing to swear is posted here somewhere) but I wouldn't suggest this for something other than the light (yellow) miso.

May I also suggest you check www.epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com) and search their recipe bank under "miso."

Good luck!

BethH
02-06-2001, 07:57 AM
I've made the Red Pepper Hummus from Epicurious.com before for a party...it really went over great! (I added some extra garlic) It came together quickly and tasted super with the mini pitas.