PDA

View Full Version : How far ahead of time can I make chocolate dipped strawberries?? What about meringue?

Chocolate Rose
03-21-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm planning on using the BC recipe (below) and would ideally like to make them the day before they will be served.

Also, I'm going to be making a Strawberry Pavlova and would love to make the meringue the day before. Is that possible or should it be made on the day it will be served?
TIA

* Exported from MasterCook *

* Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Fruits

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons heavy cream
12 long-stemmed strawberries

Melt the chocolate and cream together in a bowl set over simmering water until just melted. Stir and remove from the heat. Dip each strawberry in the chocolate and set aside on waxed or parchment paper to dry.

Yield: 12 berries

Source:
"Barefoot Contessa"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

crazycook
03-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I can't answer re: the pavlova, but as far as the strawberries are concerned, you can definitely make them a day ahead. I made an army of tuxedo clad chocolate dipped strawberries to adorn the top and base of my brother's groom's cake and they held up beautifully.

Anna :)

sneezles
03-21-2004, 12:27 PM
The meringue shells can be stored in an airtight container for several days.

Chocolate Rose
03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
OH, good!! Thanks Anna and Sneezles! This will be a huge help!

BeachBum
03-21-2004, 01:46 PM
We own a candy store and will not sell strawberries they day after they are made. I would suggest making them as close to serving time as possible. I will say though, we don't mix cream with the chocolate--so perhaps that makes a difference. Additionally, one tip we have is not to wash them. Instead wipe them down with a damp towel--otherwise the chocolate just doesn't adhere to the berries as well.

Chocolate Rose
03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
BeachBum, thanks for the tips!!

Is there a specific reason that you don't sell the strawberries after the first day?? I don't know that cream would make a big difference. It might even make them more perishable?

I always worry about all the dirty hands that have been touching my produce :eek: before I buy it so I don't know if I could resist washing the strawberries. Do you think that just wiping them is enough? Maybe I'll just be carefully to make sure I dry them really well before dipping?

lindrusso
03-21-2004, 09:36 PM
The only problem I have had in the past doing chocolate strawberries too far beforehand is that if you develop any condensation on the strawberries, it can ruin the chocolate (making light brown marks on it or making it mushy). Just something to watch out for. :)

Mmmmm...there HAVE been some pretty nice strawberries in the store lately...hmmmm... :D

Alysha

BeachBum
03-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Usually the berry starts to put away from the outer chocolate shell, leaving a small gap. Now don't get me wrong--I would eat them the next day--they just don't look perfect anymore. I think it really just depends on how closely people will be looking a them before eating them.
As for for wiping them down with a damp towel, we obviously wipe them well and we've found that it works much better than washing. But, we washed for years so I'm sure it will be fine.

Chocolate Rose
03-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Alysha and BeachBum,
It sounds like I should make these the day of the party. I'm probably only going to do a couple dozen so it shouldn't take too long. I was just hoping that this could be one thing I didn't have to worry about at the last minute. Well, I guess I'll think about it some more. Thanks for all your thoughts!