PDA

View Full Version : Can dogs have pork bones?

Jewel
04-17-2004, 07:53 PM
I know that dogs can't have poultry bones because they splinter, but what about pork? I just made a huge pot of homemade Navy Bean and Ham Soup and I used the huge center bone from my spiral cut Easter Ham for flavor and ham shreds. I've got two bones about 5" long and an inch or so across. Are they safe or should I keep 'em away from Riley and Sasha? :confused: They've been dancing around me for two hours waiting for these things, and I don't want to give them out until I know for sure! Thanks for any info!

Jasmine-Rose
04-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Jewel, I don't think you should give those bones to the pups. I don't have any supporting sources to quote for you, but I was always told that dogs shouldn't have ham bones. I don't know if the bones are more likely to break than beef bones, but I know how much you love your pups and I don't think you want to take that chance.

Sorry, I know they'll be disappointed. Maybe you could make it up to them with beef bones another time?

Jasmine-Rose
04-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Jewel,

I just found this quote from the University of Minnesota website. Don't know why it was there, but it came up when I googled "dogs ham bones":

Bones should not be fed to pets, especially ham bones. These are exactly the right size to get lodged in intestines. If this happens, it is a surgical emergency.

Jewel
04-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Jasmine Rose, thanks so much for the info! Don't know why I didn't think to Google. :o

Dave already trashed the bones, much to the dog's annoyance, however he was overcome by Puppy Eyes after doing the dishes, and is right now as I type hand-feeding both Riley and Sasha some of the fattier ham shreds that I didn't use for the soup. Men are such pushovers... :rolleyes:

:p

aggie94
04-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Elaine,

Thank you so much for posting that information. We have given our dogs ham bones in the past, but now I know better.

beckms
04-18-2004, 12:23 AM
No no no no no.

No.

Those puppy dog eyes won't matter much when you've just footed the bill for an emergency intestinal blockage surgery.

It's not worth it.

There are a lot of varying opinions on this, but I say better safe than sorry!

Jasmine-Rose
04-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Jewel & Eva, I'm glad I could help. I'm a pushover for puppy eyes too, but I want them to be safe. The only people food my girl gets is the parmesan cheese that's left in the grater after dinner, and when I finish a container of yogurt she gets to lick the container clean. Oh, and carrots too. She's a basenji and they love vegetables.

Rebecca, thanks for backing me up. I'd hate to have deprived Sasha and Riley of a yummy treat without good reason!

Now, everyone go cuddle a pup :D !

Jewel
04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Again, thank you everyone. As I said, Dave trashed the bones, he only fed them some of the shredded ham, so they were in Puppy Heaven. No intestinal blockage for these guys! :p

I'm embarrassed to say our furbabies do get more people food than they should, but we're careful. As I said, Dave is a pushover, so they know to sit next to him when there's food around. I leave for work about an hour before Dave does, so the morning ritual after I leave is him sharing his toast with the dogs every morning. On weekends, it's amazing. Both dogs will be cuddled up with me on the sofa and the 'bing' of the toaster oven will go off. They're both off my lap in a flash and racing with ears flapping to Daddy's side... :rolleyes: As I said, he's a pushover!

beckms
04-18-2004, 11:37 AM
People food isn't necessarily bad for youe dogs, it depends on what exactly it is. Same goes for people. If you ate nothing but the leftover fat and gristle from your owner's steak every night, you'd have some problems. But there are volumes of literature out there advocating homemade pet food, all of which is made of "people" food, like ground turkey, grains, fresh veggies, etc.

Don't worry, I wasn't scolding you for feeding them ham! :D It's just the bones that are dangerous. And you have to be careful about feeding really fatty meat to dogs, as it can instigate a bout of pancreatitis, which is very unpleasant and sometimes dangerous.

I used to be really strict about the "no people food" rule with my dogs, but eventually I gave up. Sparkle especially loves raw veggies, and the second I start chopping on the cutting board, she's instantly at my feet, growling if I don't toss her a carrot or two. :rolleyes:

mbrogier
04-18-2004, 03:30 PM
I've seen huge ham bones that were 4 or 5 inches across widthwise. I've also seen dogs almost kill each other fighting over them. Inch long bones would be trouble. My mom's schnauzer ate a piece of corn cob out of the trash...that was interesting (if you know what I mean). I just don't think any bones are worth the pain. That's what pig ear and jerky are for. :D

mbrogier
04-18-2004, 03:32 PM
(because edit doesn't work)

My mom has a pomeranian mix that loves carrots! I'm all for them getting veggies. My cats won't have any of that...although one of them likes popcorn. :rolleyes:

bobmark226
04-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mbrogier
I just don't think any bones are worth the pain. That's what pig ear and jerky are for. :D

I hate to give you the bad news, but most vets and professionals recommend you not give dogs pigs ears for the same reason, possible intestinal blockage. My vet, in fact, whenever we turn up with some doggie stomach distress, asks about these and cow toes first thing!

BOB

Grace
04-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Cow toes?? I've never heard of cow toes. Do cows have toes? :confused: :D

I don't even like giving my dogs rawhide for fear that it's not good for them. They get very small pieces (never a big, whole bone) only every once in awhile (like twice a month or something), and I always supervise them too. And never, ever, ever, ever any regular bones of any sort. Nor much people food. Just the occasional apple chunks or carrot chunks or something like that.

My neighbor used to give them those HUGE cow femur bones!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: I'd always take them away immediately and dump them straight into the trash. I think my neighbor got the idea and quit buying them. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm overly cautious and paranoid, but it still perplexes me why anyone would give those huge bones to any dog.

SandyM
04-19-2004, 08:37 AM
My neighbor feeds her Giant Schnauzer raw chicken, bones and all. She's on a raw, all-natural diet. It's disgusting (and amazing at the same time) to watch, but that dog has never been sick and has amazingly clean breath (for a dog ;) ).

I guess the raw chicken bones don't splinter like cooked bones, and therefore are safer. They had to sign a contract when they bought the dog from the breeder that they'd continue this path of eating.

It's just interesting. Sorry for the thread hijack. ;)

RunnerKim
04-19-2004, 10:34 AM
I feed raw bones to my dog and have done it for years (and know many other people who do it). And I wouldn't feed cooked pork bones. I have on occaison fed raw pork bones but it pushes my comfort level. :D (fyi, cooked bones are much more brittle and sharp than raw).

Kim

beckms
04-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Grace
Cow toes?? I've never heard of cow toes. Do cows have toes? :confused: :D

Yup: two of 'em. Cows (and goats, sheep, llamas, deer, etc) stand on the equivalent of the middle and ring fingers. The "toes" are the cloven hooves, which are the last joints of the "fingers". (Horses stand only on the "middle finger", which is why they only have one "toe" (hoof).)

The hoof is very similar to our fingernails, and as such can be removed from the bones underneath. That's probably what gets marketed as chewies for dogs. Yum!

Chiffonade
04-20-2004, 03:13 AM
We give our dogs beef, lamb and pork bones. Never chicken because they shard. I believe of all the bones, pork are the softest.

SandyM
04-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Chiffonade
Never chicken because they shard.

Cooked chicken bones shard - raw bones do not.

linsleyd
04-20-2004, 07:17 AM
I think a lot of feeding of bones depend on the dog. My brothers dog will swallow bones whole so she has to be watched. Mine nibbles bones down to barely anything and generally as she gets older will just lick them. Therefore she gets bones. We'll give her ham bones if they are big enough, not comfortable enough with her habits that she wouldn't swallow a small one....And not that she wouldn't swallow a large one but every bone she gets now just gets licked or nibbled on.

mbrogier
04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Not raw pigs ears. They have a thin jerky that is made of pig ears. You can get them at Petsmart. My dad, who is a dog trainer, gives these to his dogs for chew toys/snacks. They even come flavored. They also sell pig snouts, but I just thought that was too disgusting.