PDA

View Full Version : Is there a nice way to tell someone to STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS????

leightx
05-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Ugh!!!! This woman, who I'm not particularly fond of anyway, has the most obnoxious habit of writing emails in all caps. You'd think someone would have told her that it's freaking annoying by now, or that she'd notice that even thought the rest of us have terribly busy and important lives, we take the time to depress the shift button at the beginning of our sentences. :rolleyes:

Escher
05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
iT cOuLd Be WoRsE, sHe cOuLd TyPe LiKe ThIs, Or:

Imagineifherspacebardidnotworkitwouldbereallyhardt oread

IsUgGeStSeNdInGhErAlEtTeRlIKeThIsTeLlInGhErHoWaNnO yInGiTiS.

leightx
05-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Escher
iT cOuLd Be WoRsE, sHe cOuLd TyPe LiKe ThIs, Or:

I LIKE THIS WAY BETTER ACTUALLY!!!!! Oops - sorry.

I told my mom to please quit "yelling" when she first starting sending emails (like, last year :D ). She wasn't offended, but this lady probably would be. Not that it really matters, but she's a customer of mine...

Escher
05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Send her an email anonymously...maybe with a link to a website that admonishes people for writing in all caps.....

Robyncz
05-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Your job has to do with layout, right? Well, you could forward this link to her with a note relevant to creating scrapbook layouts. Something along the lines of "I thought this article about font use was interesting since so many people like to use all caps for their labels and headlines (or whatever the appropriate jargon may be). . . Do she'd take the hint without you having to spell it out?

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontselection/a/allcaps.htm

Good luck! That drives me nuts too, by the way!

Loremma
05-19-2004, 12:27 AM
I find people who type in all caps is because of laziness. They don't have to shift and type to capitalize the sentences. Much easier that way. But very, very annoying.

Chiffonade
05-19-2004, 03:29 AM
What I usually say is, "Typing in caps is the internet version of screaming - like ending every sentence in an exclamation point." You might say it's not necessary to type in all caps and that, in fact, you find it uncomfortable to read a message typed in all caps. The flip side of this is people who don't shift at all and leave everything in lower case like e.e. cummings.

Jazzmatazz49
05-19-2004, 03:45 AM
Typing in all caps doesn't really bother me. It drives some people over the edge, and I've always wondered why. What drives me nuts is the IM bunch. Using 4 for "for" and U for "you", etc. is just too, too grating. It's fine for IM, but not for emails.

lhall
05-19-2004, 06:06 AM
I remember reading somewhere that's it's more difficult to read something written in all caps.

Leigh

MrsReber
05-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Chiffonade
The flip side of this is people who don't shift at all and leave everything in lower case like e.e. cummings.

And my DH- punctuation is optional in his world. Makes for some pretty funny emails.

I had a boss who typed everything in caps. I think it was his way of intimidating people.

CORALEE
05-19-2004, 06:24 AM
I must say, I often send off quick emails all in caps. (yes I am a guilty party) Not in the course of business but to my sis, or dh, or friends. I will admit it is partly out of laziness (because sometimes I notice) but at our office the program that we do all of our business on, recognizes only caps, so all of my day is spent with the Caps Lock on. At home, I use both upper and lower case. I didn't realize that this is an annoying trait :eek: Maybe the woman in question does not realize this as well.... just a thought.

Jessica
05-19-2004, 06:25 AM
I am with Chiffonade. I tell people that emailing in capital letters is the Internet version of screaming and to please tone it down. You can make it a little humorous if you want.

claire797
05-19-2004, 06:36 AM
I agree with what the others said. Just educate her a little and tell her writing in all caps is screaming. You could accompany the note with one of those emoticon charts just for fun. :)

badunnin
05-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by lhall
I remember reading somewhere that's it's more difficult to read something written in all caps.

Leigh

Leigh - point that out to her. Here (http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/writing/typography.html) is an article that discusses it.

ALL CAPS

Perhaps the most frequently violated rule of readability involves the use of ALL CAPS (capital letters). Designers are often drawn to all caps because it forms neat, uniform, visual elements, or "blocks." Unfortunately, for precisely that reason, type set in all caps is more difficult to read.

Your brain does not recognize words solely on the basis of specific letter combinations, but on the overall shape of the words. In fact, your brain recognizes whole phrases based on letter shape rather than identifying individual letters and words. Which of the following is easier to read: GOOD OLD DOG or good old dog.

For readability, avoid all caps even in heads and subheads. The most readable headlines and subheads are set only with the first letter of the first word (and proper nouns) capitalized, just as in sentences.

Or...
Why are words written in capitals more difficult to read than words in small letters? There are two basic reasons:

Firstly, at least for native English speakers, children usually learn to read and write small letters before capital letters.

Secondly, and more importantly, words written in capital letters have no "shape". Words with small letters go up and down. Some small letters have "ascenders" (like the letter b). They go up. Some small letters have "descenders" (like the letter p). They go down. Some small letters have no ascender or descender. They stay in the middle. So small letters vary in height. But all capital letters are the same height (BP).

When we read text, especially when we read fast, we do not read each individual letter. Instead, we read whole words and phrases. And we recognize these words and phrases partly by their "shape".

badunnin
05-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Ok, this is actually pretty cool...

http://writing.englishclub.com/caps2.htm

lhall
05-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by badunnin

Leigh - point that out to her.

Mayb the other Leigh should point that out to her. :D :D :D

Thanks for finding an article, Bethany.

Leigh

Beth
05-19-2004, 07:03 AM
I would acknowledge that there may be a reason she uses all caps (like working with software that only recognizes caps, etc) but that it make it much harder for you to read her notes and you would appreciate her trying to send them either upper/lower or all lower case and that you won't think any less of her for any errors made in capitalization -- you will get her point easier if you can read.

badunnin
05-19-2004, 07:25 AM

Leigh

Maybe it would be easier for her to hear coming from a third party. ;) ;) (I didn't even notice the 2 Leighs participating here!)

leightx
05-19-2004, 07:29 AM

Leigh

I'd be happy to give you her email address Leigh! ;) It does get confusing with 2 of us around here, with a somewhat uncommon name. We're going to overtake the Susans one day!!

Seriously though, this lady is truly obnoxious, and I can see her having an absolute fit if I point out the all caps thing to her, no matter how nicely. She's a stay at home mom, so I don't think her work would preclude her from using normal punctuation. And quite honestly, when I was breastfeeding, I didn't always use the shift key since I was typing with one hand. But all lower-case is much easier to read. And I'd usually apologize for it up front. :p

Maybe I'll just send her an anonymous link, or quote one of the articles. I wonder if stopscreaming@yahoo.com has already been taken?

leightx
05-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Jazzmatazz49
Typing in all caps doesn't really bother me. It drives some people over the edge, and I've always wondered why. What drives me nuts is the IM bunch. Using 4 for "for" and U for "you", etc. is just too, too grating. It's fine for IM, but not for emails.

I don't know why it bugs me so much, since I'm generally pretty laid back and easy-going! The IM "slang" really grates on my nerves too however. Maybe I just have a visual hang-up, kinda like my texture issue (with coconuts, tapioca pudding, and nuts where they don't belong). You'd think I'd be a better proofreader with all these issues... :rolleyes:

sneezles
05-19-2004, 07:45 AM
So I can't use exclamations points anymore!!!! :rolleyes:

BarbaraL
05-19-2004, 07:45 AM
My middle name is Leigh -- can I be an associate member of the club?
:)

lhall
05-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by BarbaraL
My middle name is Leigh -- can I be an associate member of the club?
:)

Sure,
Leigh was my middle name. Always hated my first name so I dropped that sucker as soon as I got married. :D :D

Bethany,
It gets really confusing when Leightx & I respond to each other's posts. :D

Leigh

leebee
05-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Hey, I'm a Leigh, too!

I am not a fan of all caps because you tend to lose all nuance of language. Often, but not always, I find people who use all caps also do not use punctuation, and I think that makes it harder. Just a minor pet peeve, though, & I wouldn't have a clue how to address it with a business contact. I guess I'd gripe & bear it--I'm not good at confrontation.

MrsReber
05-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by leightx

I'd be happy to give you her email address Leigh! ;) It does get confusing with 2 of us around here, with a somewhat uncommon name. We're going to overtake the Susans one day!!

Such aspirations ;) :D :D

lisas3575
05-19-2004, 08:42 AM
I found this netiquette site (http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html) that discusses all caps. I've been known to "forward" links like this to a group of people, only one of whom is an offender, with a note to the effect of "I learned so much here. Hope you enjoy it too!" It usually takes care of the problem without embarassing the other person, but if not, I use it as a crutch again, with a response like "I read on that website that caps is like screaming. Would you mind taking off the caps lock when you e-mail me?"

Yeah, I know. I'm passive agressive. :rolleyes: :p :o

SandyM
05-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by lisas3575
Yeah, I know. I'm passive agressive. :rolleyes: :p :o

BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU, LISA. ;) :p

Thanks for the link. I don't come across the situation very often, but I agree - it's annoying.

lisas3575
05-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by SandyM

BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU, LISA. ;) :p

Sandy, someone forwarded me this site (http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html) and I learned so much. I hope you enjoy it too! :D :D :D :D ;)

tamawrite
05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
For the sake of politeness, you could blame it on your eyes. Tell her you have trouble seeing the letters to read (which is true, after all.)