PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy vs. Sears?

NewMrsG
05-21-2004, 07:16 AM
We're going to start looking for a washer and dryer to be delivered to the new house. Anyone have any thoughts about recommending either Sears or Best Buy? I'm thinking both in terms of general quality as well as servicing that we might need.

Also, if you have specific recommendations for brands/models, please share! I've done a bit of research and understand that the top-loaders are better for washers, but I'm not sure we can swing that right now - looking for more moderately priced units. That being said - I also don't want to buy something that's going to crap out on me in a short period of time.

TIA!

lindrusso
05-21-2004, 07:26 AM
I don't know much about Best Buy, but I've had positive experiences with Sears - though I know many here have not.

Almost all of our appliances are Kenmore (even our lawnmower is a Craftsman) and we've never had any major (and very few minor) problems with any of them and we've owned most of them for 7 years now (not a really long period of time, but enough to know if they are lemons or not).

My only complaint is that Sears can be pricey for repairs - but they do fit you in pretty quickly and get the job done, so that counts for something as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, Consumer Reports has always rated Kenmore quite well in reliability.

As far as any specifics about washer and dryers, I'd just go with what you can afford and the features that are really important to you. We have a Kenmore washer and dryer and I've been happy with both - we got midline models.

I would LOVE a front-loading washer! :)

Alysha :)

SueK
05-21-2004, 07:38 AM
We have several Kenmore appliances that have worked well for us over the years, I think it's good quality merchandise.

Having said that, I will never shop at Sears again due to their horribly incompetent customer service, so if I ever buy another Kenmore appliance, it will be from a local store that also sells that brand.

Jessica
05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
We had a horrible delivery experience with Sears and would never order an appliance for delivery again from that store again. Sears did refund our delivery fee but the service truly was wretched.

We have not tried Best Buy but that is who we would use next time.

I should say that the Sears washer works perfectly fine--no problems there.

NewMrsG
05-21-2004, 08:39 AM
This is what I was afraid of!! :)

Maybe we'll try Best Buy and see if they carry Kenmore ...

Thanks ladies!

donleyk
05-21-2004, 08:55 AM
We've been happy with all of our Kenmore purchases. Just a word of warning. I think all of these types of businesses use sub contractors so it is really the luck of the draw on deliveries. Everytime we've had Sears out they've been clean and courteous.

Chefzhat
05-21-2004, 09:05 AM
We are ordering a washer/dryer through the kitchen design place where we purchased our cabinets. We also got all the other kitchen appliances through them. We found them to be cheaper, they even have ads from local competition (Best Buy, etc) posted on their walls so you can compare prices yourself. They also do the service contracts if need be.

Just another place you might want to check out.

jjsooner73
05-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Jessica
We had a horrible delivery experience with Sears and would never order an appliance for delivery again from that store again. Sears did refund our delivery fee but the service truly was wretched.

Well, I had the same problem with Best Buy. I will never buy a major appliance from them again. And I actually ended up telling them to take their blasted 'frig and dryer back, I didn't want their stuff. :) I then bought a dryer from Sears and have had no problems.
I also have friends who have vowed to never set foot in a Best Buy again because of the way they were treated by mgmt.

Vanessa
05-21-2004, 10:48 AM
My experiences with Sears have been good. When my parents got us a dishwasher they could not deliver on time (was an early Xmas gift) so they upgraded us. They have another company do instalations.
Saying this I have noticed Best Buy has better prices in appliances & they are pretty good at delivering etc.
We also got a stove at Bray and Scarf and they service dept was very good. The top had a scratch on the side and they replaced the whole top (the new radiant smooth top stove).
Check both places and with delivery and instalation see which one is best for you.

Jasmine-Rose
05-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by NewMrsG
Maybe we'll try Best Buy and see if they carry Kenmore ...

Kenmore is a Sears brand only - I'm pretty sure you won't find it at Best Buy.

No bad experiences to report with either company. Happy shopping!

Kristilyn1
05-21-2004, 11:14 AM
my washer and dryer are mid-price Kenmore and they will celebrate their 9th birthday later this fall. I've never had to have either one serviced for anything. They work perfect every day---and they do get used and abused!

Best Buy. I like their prices, I even like their brands---but I'm another one who had horrible service from them and will never buy from them again. The source of my frustration is their stupid 90 days same as cash. I've purchased from them TWICE, and each time, I paid the bill off in full within the 90 days. What then followed was a series of tiny little bills====$24, $9, etc. I would pay each one off and actually ended up having them report me to the credit bureau (my only negative item!) Each time I called, I was assured that the problem was handled and each month, lo and behold--another small bill. It really ticked me off, and to have it happen twice in a 3 year period---no thanks.

Kristi

SueK
05-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Jasmine-Rose

Kenmore is a Sears brand only - I'm pretty sure you won't find it at Best Buy.

We have a local appliance store that carries the Kenmore brand. Jori- you might want to see if a locally owned place in your area carries Kenmore and deal with them instead of Sears.

NewMrsG
05-21-2004, 01:25 PM
LOL - my fear as I was starting this thread was that I'd hear good and bad about both and be even more confused! :)

I wish it was easy to predict things like customer service ahead of time! Sometimes you can, I know, but not always.

Sigh.

In any event - I do truly appreciate the feedback! We'll definitely be shopping around -

Thanks all!

Robyncz
05-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kristilyn1
Best Buy. I like their prices, I even like their brands---but I'm another one who had horrible service from them and will never buy from them again. The source of my frustration is their stupid 90 days same as cash. I've purchased from them TWICE, and each time, I paid the bill off in full within the 90 days. What then followed was a series of tiny little bills====$24, $9, etc. I would pay each one off and actually ended up having them report me to the credit bureau (my only negative item!) Each time I called, I was assured that the problem was handled and each month, lo and behold--another small bill. It really ticked me off, and to have it happen twice in a 3 year period---no thanks.

Kristi

We experienced a similar problem with the finance company that services Best Buy. We will NEVER finance anything from them again!!!
In our case, we had a same-as-cash plan that required a small payment each month. I actually paid more than the minimum payment and 5 months in a row they "received the payment a day late" and charged me a finance charge. These were *electronic payments from my bank* so the bank knew exactly when they went out. Each month my bank called Best Buy with me on the phone, we spoke to a service rep, and they ended up refunding the finance charge. Then I would arrange with my bank for the payment to be sent out earlier the following month. And what do you know, they still received it "a day late." I finally got fed up and just paid the balance. The bank sent the payment THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE DUE DATE. And would you believe, they "received the payment a day late." It has been several months, but I feel my adrenaline surging even now--just from describing the experience. NEVER AGAIN. I'll shop Best Buy, but I will not use their financing.

To get off my soapbox and answer the question, though. We have bought all of our major appliances from Sears and had no problems with service or delivery. No matter what you decide, I'd talk to the salespeople at Sears. At least they're informed about what they're selling. Whereas, if you get someone at Best Buy who knows what he/she is talking about, you're lucky! In fact, just this week I was standing in line at Chipotles :rolleyes: and there were two sales guys with Best Buy shirts in line behind me. One of them says to the other, "at least I didn't get stuck in appliances today." To which the other guy responds, "Yeah. I get tired of pulling stuff out of my butt. At least in electronics I sound like I know what I'm talking about." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Molli526
05-21-2004, 01:48 PM
I would also suggest looking at the family owned/ independant appliance stores in your area. Around here, they will happily match prices and give you much better service etc. They also know the appliances.

mbrogier
05-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Try to find a Sears Outlet. They sell older models, returns, dings, etc. for cheap prices. I bought my 36" stainless fridgidaire galleria refrigerator there for $900. I also bought the 5 year extended warranty for $72. :D I have had it repaired 7 times...problems with the ice dispenser and condenser, but it was all free. I would buy from the outlet again to save that much money and get free service.

golden1225
05-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I bought my Whirlpool Duet washer & dryer at Sears almost a year ago. I fretted over the Kenmore version for weeks, but in the end what swayed me to the Whirlpool over the Kenmore was 1) Color Selection (at the time all of the Kenmore's had some black on them, if not all black, which I did not like) 2) Sears beating a local store's sale price by an additional 10%, 3)no-interest financing for 1 year and a coupon for free delivery. I absolutely LOVE my washer and dryer. I followed the advice on the laundry forum of GardenWeb about delivery instructions for these, and unfortunately still had a problem with my washer, but Sears quickly and agreeably replaced my ailing machine with a new one. I had no problems with the delivery, but as someone else mentioned, Sears hired a sub-contractor to make the delivery. I did check BestBuy, but was not happy with the details of their service contract nor the sales staff's lack of knowledge about these machines. I would highly recommend a trip to the Laundry Forum (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/) at GardenWeb to read up on users' experiences with various brands, models and service.
Good luck!!

Chefzhat
05-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Lynne, what a great site! I've been reading for 1/2 hour now! Who knew there were such creatures as "laundryophiles"!

golden1225
05-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I KNOW!!! It's amazing. I couldn't believe how in-depth some of them had researched and gotten to know their machines! It does make for some fascinating reading.
:) :)

jefoster
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I have had great experiences with Sears and Bad with Other stores on Major appliances and finance. I even bought a Kenmore Elite Washing Machine on the Sears Web page and had it delivered it was a great experience, never went to the store. I had a Maytag washer and it did not last as well as I hoped. We have bought the new Kenmore Elie Microwave, Dual Fuel range and Diswasher and have been very pleased with them. The installation and delivery have always been timely and very good service. We had a service call as part of our Maintenace agreement and that went very well. I have become a huge Sears Kenmore fan over the past 3 years.

NewMrsG
05-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks again everyone - we hit both stores on Saturday and, despite the fact that both were having great sales, decided to check Consumer Reports first ... then of course the sales for this week aren't great at all ... so I think we made a huge mistake. :rolleyes:

Lynne - I actually had checked that site too - they really are true "laundry gourmets" - only really talking about the best lines, which I think we can't really afford this time around. It really is a great site if you're looking for recommendations on top of the line stuff, though!

granolagirl
05-25-2004, 09:07 AM
I've had good experiences at Sears, but Best Buy's customer service and return policy leave a lot to be desired. No matter what you choose, I would stay away from the Best Buy credit card--I've heard so many horror stories!

BarbaraL
05-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I didn't know there were laundry-philes! Are there are dishwasher-philes? I need to buy my mom a new dishwasher, and could use some recommendations!

NewMrsG
05-28-2004, 08:04 AM
As if I'm not feeling overwhelmed about this enough ...

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with buying appliances from Home Depot or Lowe's?

Robyncz
05-28-2004, 09:51 AM
We bought a refrigerator from Lowes. No problems with service or delivery.

However, I'm pretty sure Lowes also subs out their delivery. So it would vary by store.

If I were you, I'd take a day, go to each of the places you mentioned with a notebook, get a sales person to help you, and then purchase at the place where you get the best price on the model you want. I'd use salesperson service/knowledge as the tie breaker. . .

NewMrsG
06-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to give you an update (because I know you're thinking of nothing else other than what we decided to do! :rolleyes: ) - I was feeling totally overwhelmed by this, for some reason, and handed the job over to my DH - along with all of your feedback.

He went with Home Depot - felt we got the best warranty and deal with them.

This will be the first time since leaving home at 18 to go to college that I'll have a washer and dryer IN MY HOUSE!!

Pretty cool!

gertdog
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the update. We'll be buying appliances within the next month and so far are leaning to Home Depot or Lowes, rather than Best Buy or Sears. Around here, the prices at Sears appear to run about 10% higher than any of the other stores, and the sales people at Best Buy don't know much about the appliances.

Congrats on the washer and dryer- something I'm looking forward to having soon myself! :D

mlynn
06-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to pass on a couple things I learned recently--

The Great Indoors is owned by Sears and all appliances are serviced by Sears and the prices are the same at both (although TGI carries some brands that Sears does not)

In some rural areas Best Buy and Sears share service technicians. They even carry both logoes on magnetized signs and hang the proper one when making deliveries.

As another FYI, many appliance manufactures use the same factory. A relative works at a plant that makes refrigerators. Often only the outside appearance and logo are the only difference between brands. I can't remember offhand which brands they manufacture right now.