PDA

View Full Version : Call Any Methodists - Need Help with a Confirmation Gift for Teenage Boy

Peggy
05-26-2004, 10:08 PM
I am in need of some help and advise. This weekend we are going down to see my parents and to attend my nephew's Confirmation ceremony. He attends the Methodist Church. (We are Catholic).

We want to get him something appropriate that is either inspiration or meaningful to a young man in this faith. We usually get him money or gift certificates for birthdays, but feel this is different and we want it to have significance to him.

My sister isn't any help as she says she has already given away all of her ideas. I am clueless! Would appreciate any ideas or insights.

TIA!

Peggy

boys03
05-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Peggy, I'm an RC too, but my sons are being raised Methodist (dh is ordained). For confirmation they rec'd a wooden cross to wear around their necks and a lapel pin of a cross. At the church we attend they also had mentors (sponsors to you and me) and they also gave a gift...one got a Christian fish that goes on a key chain, another one rec'd a handmade wooden cherry bowl (his mentor does woodworking)and for the life of me I can't remember what the other one got. As a side note, they were confirmed years ago, and I still see them wear their pins on their sport coats for church. We don't go all out for such things as you can see. Good luck.

stefania4
05-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Methodist checking in... How about a good study bible, or the Harper-Collins Bible Dictionary? Both have been invaluable to me in my Disciple classes and for when I teach Sunday School.

Methodism stresses service to the community. If your nephew is passionate about a particular cause, perhaps you could make a donation in his honor. If he's a fishing/camping kinda guy, the Sierra Club would be a good choice; if he's really into baseball there's probably a very urban or very rural Little League that could use some assistance, etc.

Peggy
05-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Excellent ideas! Thank you both for your responses. I'm going shopping today and this will give me a good starting point.:)

Peggy