PDA

View Full Version : Really yummy dinner

tbb113
06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
I made a very yummy dinner tonight. I made the Garlicky Lemongrass Chicken (http://foodandwine.com/invoke.cfm?ObjectID=323FD0B0-5CE2-4426-BE7392309A1B7F02) from the June Food & Wine. With that I served Thai Cucumber Carrot Salad from a recipe I got from my organic produce delivery. Two thumbs up from me on this meal :)

Thai Cucumber Carrot Salad
Preparation 15 min
Servings 2

1 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp Asian fish sauce, preferably naam pha
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 fresh Thai or serrano chili, or to taste, seeded and minced (I used a jalapeno because that is what I had)
1 seedless cucumber, quartered lenghtwise, seeded, and cored
1 carrot, shreeded coarse (I used two cuz they were small)
soft-leafed lettuce for serving (I didn't see this :o )

In a bowl stir together garlic paste, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chili until sugar is dissolved. Thinly slice cucumbers crosswise and add to garlic mixture with carrot. Toss salad well. Salad my be made 4 hours ahead and kept chilled, covered, but cucumber will wilt and give off liquid.

imloulou
06-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks for posting those recipes...they sound delicious!

I have lemongrass growing and while on a "Garden walk" this weekend I noticed that it was probably big enough to start using. I have never used it before so this chicken recipe sounds perfect!!

Thanks for posting it!

tbb113
06-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Lisa:
Here are some prep tips from the same issue.

1. Cut off hte root and the upper two-thirds of the stalk. What's remaining contains the bulb.
2. Peel the outer leaves of the lemongrass salk - usually just one or two layers - to reveal the bulb.

There are also a bunch of other (http://foodandwine.com/search/Recipe_Search_Results.cfm?s=1&t=null&num=null) recipes using lemongrass on their website.

imloulou
06-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for posting this! I never would have guessed that I needed to use the bulb part! My lemongrass is about 2 feet tall but I may have to wait. I will check tomorrow.

Thanks again,