PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla chips in a main dish?

Chocolate Rose
06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
I bought way too many tortilla chips for last weekend and still have a big bag of the tortilla strips from Costco left. Are there any great main dish recipes for using these up that isn't too junky?
TIA

tbb113
06-07-2004, 04:11 PM
You could make a tortilla version of 'chili fritos'. Was my favorite meal from the college cafeteria. Nachos of course would also use up the chips...but that could be considered junky unless you add meat/chicken ;) How about tortilla soup?

sneezles
06-07-2004, 04:13 PM
There's Whole Foods recipe for King Ranch Casserole. It calls for tortillas but since it is a casserole the chips would work just fine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southwest King Ranch Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Filling:
3 tablespoons canola oil (I used 1 tbs)
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (1/2 tsp)
3 cups shredded cooked boneless chicken
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Casserole:
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (used 2 cups pepper jack)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (used 2 cups sharp cheddar)
2 cups bottled tomatillo sauce (used 3 cups salsa verde)
8 corn tortillas (used 10)
1 1/2 cups sour cream (used 2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped green chilies, drained

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add
onions, and cook them until they are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Blend in garlic, paprika, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Add chicken, and heat through. Remove the pan from the heat; stir in cilantro.

In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.

On the bottom of an 8 x 8 1/2-inch pan (used a 12x2-inch round cake pan) at least 2 inches deep, spread 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Top with 4 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Spread half the sour cream evenly over the tortillas. Add 1/2 cup of the remaining tomatillo sauce, 1 1/2 cups of the chicken filling, 1 cup cheese mixture, and one half of the green chilies.

Top with 4 more tortillas, the remainder of the sour cream, tomatillo sauce, and chicken filling, 1 cup of the cheese mixture, and the remaining green chilies. End with 1 cup cheese mixture sprinkled on top. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly on the surface. (Assembled early, refrigerated for 2 hours and baked for 35 minutes)

per serving: 410 cal, 28g pro, 16g carb, 26g fat, 85mg chol, 550mg sod. (Not the same but will have to wait to put it into MC)

Source:
"Whole Foods Market Cookbook"

tbb113
06-07-2004, 04:16 PM
I checked on Allrecipes.com as well for main dishes. Here is the link (http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/ingadv.asp?i1=tortilla+chips&n1=&q1=&i2=&n2=&i3=&n3=&i4=&n4=&siteid=19&srt=1&x=4&y=10)

Terrytx
06-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Southwestern Salad Bar from this months issue was great and used a lot of crushed chips.

Jeanz
06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
CL has done several recipes for Chicken Chile Enchiladas. Instead of using ripped up tortillas, use the chips!

NewMrsG
06-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Chillaquillas (I know I'm not spelling this right ...) use tortilla chips - I have a couple of recipes somewhere at home and could find them for you -

MusicMom
06-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Here is one of our favorites:

Black Bean-Taco Salad With Lime Vinaigrette

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: July 2000 PAGE: 112

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled
Salad:
8 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
1-1/2 cups chopped ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups fat-free baked tortilla chips (about 4 ounces)

INSTRUCTIONS:
With chicken, cheddar cheese, and black beans, this Southwestern-influenced
salad needs nothing on the side except some iced tea. Fresh lime gives it a
citrusy counterpunch.

1. To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food
processor; process until smooth.

2. To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in
a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips. Yield: 4
servings (serving size: about 2 cups salad and 1 cup chips).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 402 (28% from fat); FAT 12.6g (sat 3.2g, mono 6.5g, poly 1.9g);
PROTEIN 24.5g; CARB 51.6g; FIBER 8g; CHOL 35mg; IRON 3.6mg; SODIUM 861mg; CALC
236mg

BeachBum
06-08-2004, 08:36 AM
I was going to suggest the black bean taco salad, but musicmom beat me to it--so instead I'll just second it.

Dyanne
06-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Here's a recipe I found in Woman's Day Magazine about a decade ago. I make it at least a few times a year for my family and everyone loves it. (Extremely unusual for my family.) The loaves are NOT all that firm, though, so be prepared. I like my meat cooked well, with a dark slightly crunchy exterior, so I make sure these are well-browned before I flip them. I also like a little extra sauce. If you make the recipe as written you'll end up with a few tablespoons of sauce, so I usually add about 3/4 cup water instead of the initial 1/4 cup, and add more if I think I can "stretch" it. I always make the recipe with 8 loaves, but I included the option of meatballs. This is also great the next day, reheated with tons of salsa on top.

Rachero Mini Meat Loaves

1.5 lb ground turkey
5 cups baked taco chips, crushed (1.25 cups)*
10.5 oz black beans, rinsed*
8 oz can corn kernels, drained*
1/2 cup minced green onions, especially white parts
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
5 oz can evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed)
1 lg egg
1 T chili powder
2 t salt
1 t ground cumin*
1 T vegetable oil

*I use Baked Tostitos which absorb the liquid ingredients a little better than standard chips. I also use 2/3 can black beans rather than measuring it out, and 1/2 pound frozen corn kernels, rinsed. I use 1 T cumin because I like it.

- Mix all ingredients except oil in a large bowl until very well-blended and some of the beans are mashed. (I just mash the dickens out of the beans before I add them. I keep threatening to try using refried black beans. Let me know if you try this yourself.)
- [At this point if desired: divide mixture in half. Form one half into 8 meatballs. Freeze on cookie sheet until firm, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. For frozen meatballs: thaw the meatballs overnight in the refrigerator. Cook in spaghetti or tomato sauce until no longer pink at centers. Serve over pasta or spoon into split Italian bread.]
- Shape mixture into 8 oval loaves. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working with half the loaves, brown loaves well on one side, about 4-5 minutes, then turn over. Brown for 2 minutes, then add 1/4 cup water. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes. Add up to 1/4 cup water at this point if necessary, then cover again and continue cooking another 5 minutes. Make sure there's no pink in the center of the meat. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining loaves.
- Serving suggestions: spanish or mexican-style rice, corn (use the other half of the 1 lb bag you used for this recipe), bean salad, small green salad, carrot sticks, or green beans. I love salsa liberally spread over mine.

hAndyman
06-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Here's one posted by Terrytx that I've made a few times 'cause it's good; it uses 2 cups or so of crushed tortilla chips:

Black Bean Chilaquile

Serving Size : 6

1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1-1/2 cups cooked black beans (15 ounce can, drained)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups rinsed, stemmed and chopped Swiss chard or spinach
2 cups crushed baked tortilla chips
8 ounces grated fat-free sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups prepared Mexican-style red salsa or Blender Hot Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute the onions in the oil for about 8 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, salt and pepper and continue to saute for another 5 to 10 minutes, until heated through.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, blanch the greens in boiling water to cover for 1 to 3 minutes, until just wilted but still bright green. Drain immediately and set aside.
Prepare an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish or baking pan with a very light coating of oil or cooking spray. Spread half the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom. Spoon the sauteed vegetables over the chips and sprinkle with about two-thirds of the cheese. Arrange the greens evenly over the cheese and spoon on half the salsa. Finish with the rest of the chips and top with the remaining salsa and cheese. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Per 8 ounce serving: 245 cal, 16.4g pro, 4g fat, 40g carb, 20mg chol, 1725mg sod, 2/2g fiber.
Source: "Moosewood Low Fat Favorites"
Andy's notes: This is delicious. I add some garlic, use a 19 oz. can of black beans, may use more corn, use less salt, use Monterey Jack cheese, prefer regular or flavoured corn chips to baked chips because of the texture, add some cilantro and black olives, and use hot salsa or a red enchilada sauce.

Cheers! Andy

MrsReber
06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Here's a third on the black bean taco salad! One of my favorites. They also go well with CL's spinach artichoke dip. Yum.

claire797
06-08-2004, 12:13 PM
I like to grind them up in the food processor and use them as "breading" for chicken breasts. If you google "tortilla crusted", you'll come up with a bunch of good recipes.

Chocolate Rose
06-08-2004, 12:15 PM
YUM!! Thanks everyone! These all look great. Now, I just have to decide which to make first...

Salsera
06-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I also love to make migas -- Mexican style scrambled eggs. I'm sure there's a formal recipe out there somewhere, but I just scramble eggs with onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, and tortilla chips. Serve with salsa, avocado, sour cream, or whatever garnishes you like. A perfect weekend breakfast/brunch item, particularly with fresh fruit to accompany it. Delicious!