PDA

View Full Version : "Gourmet" Produce Issue - 07/04

bobmark226
06-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Has anyone else gotten this or commented here?

I picked it up yesterday, because I always enjoy this annual salute to summer's bounty of fruits and vegetables. The issue seems recipe thin, though I was pulled into it by both the watermelon recipes (Watermelon Rind Chutney....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) and the mint page, partly because I want to learn to love mint.

I made the Potato Salad with Mint and Peas last night and it's very, very good, probably better for lunch today after a day of standing. Nothing special, though, just a basic dressing of olive oil, shallot, white wine vinegar, and mint plus a cup of green peas. Reminds me that I need to dig out the potato salad cookbook about now.......

BOB

sneezles
06-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Got it earlier this week and I have to say that I'm not very taken with the issue at all. Not a fan of watermelon but the chutney did look vaguely interesting. I'm halfway through actually reading rather than my first grazing so I'm hoping that something in there changes my mind.

KAnn
06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
My thoughts, exactly!! I don't subscribe to Gourmet anymore, just BA, CL, and Cook's, but I pick it up occasionally and was quite disapponted...the cover looked fabulous but there's nothing I'd try and no memorable articles. Oh, well...:)

Katie

swquilts
06-25-2004, 10:00 AM
I used to only buy Gourmet when I was traveling. One day I got a card that said I can get a free subscription....this was my second issue. I did notice that the produce guy they interviewed is now in his 3rd magazine! CL and Bon Appetit have also done recent articles on him.

What was the Polka Dot cake problem? I'm deathly curious now!! :cool:

sneezles
06-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by swquilts
What was the Polka Dot cake problem? I'm deathly curious now!! :cool:

I simply can't let any more time slip by without mentioning you January cover, which I found most distaseful. Frankly, just looking at it makes my teeth ache. I find it totally unimaginative and gross. This is a new low for your magazine. I had to hide it under all my other magazines when it arrived. And I can ssure you that if I didn't have a subscription, I certainly wouldn't be purchasing it at the stands. Colorful, yes. Inspiring, no.
Bevery Loder
Walnut Creek California

The above letter was in the May issue and refers to the "Happy Days" cake on the cover of the January issue: http://www.epicurious.com/db/recipes/photos/109045.jpg

This latest issue one lady wrote in that she should have hidden the magazine at the bottom of the pile because her son thought it looked good enough to eat...which he did! :p

swquilts
06-25-2004, 11:12 AM
That doesn't look bad at all! Good grief! :rolleyes: It almost looks like something Martha would have on one of her covers.....

Mamasue
06-25-2004, 11:17 AM
I haven't received my issue yet but had to say that I thought the cupcake cake was adorable and it would be something that I would love to make for someone special.

Bob...if you ever think of growing any form of mint, make sure that you plant it in a pot. Otherwise the mint plant will take over any garden.

schuh
06-25-2004, 11:17 AM
sheesh ... I think it's cute.
Sometimes I'm amazed at what some people get worked up about.

AmyO26
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by schuh
sheesh ... I think it's cute.
Sometimes I'm amazed at what some people get worked up about.

Same here...it would be perfect for a baby shower.

bobmark226
06-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Mamasue
Bob...if you ever think of growing any form of mint, make sure that you plant it in a pot. Otherwise the mint plant will take over any garden.

Sue, no fear....no garden, not even a paltry fire escape for a pot here. I just would like to try using it more in cooking.

BOB

Mamasue
06-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bobmark226

Sue, no fear....no garden, not even a paltry fire escape for a pot here. I just would like to try using it more in cooking.

BOB

Okie dokie! ;)

Canice
06-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Don't know why I felt compelled to go out and get this at lunchtime (the reviews here are pretty underwhelming) but I am so glad I did! If for no other reason than the piece by Margy Rochlin (familiar to This American Life fans) on the wonderful Angelo Pellegrini. I know I've mentioned him here in the past, but I'm not going to miss this opportunity to encourage you root around your local used bookstore for his books! The Unprejudiced Palate is still in new book stores (for the time being) and you can often find the delightful anthology Vintage Pellegrini in used book stores. LOVE that book!

claire797
06-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Mamasue
if you ever think of growing any form of mint, make sure that you plant it in a pot. Otherwise the mint plant will take over any garden.

Our mint is taking over, that's for sure. I don't even like it very much :confused:. Can't remember why I even planted it.

As for the produce issue, it is slim on recipes but the articles are pretty interesting. The photography is great too.

HUNGRY!
06-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Hmm, I don't usually get Gourmet but picked this one up and was so glad I did. I thought it looked great and loved the articles. I can't wait to make the watermelon pudding. I didn't think the polka dot cake looked bad either.