PDA

View Full Version : farmers market blackberries... and worms?

angelamaria
07-01-2004, 06:50 PM
sorry to be disgusting, but i bought wonderful looking blackberries at our local farmers market. after getting home and getting ready to wash them- they had several little white worms on them or larvae i guess would be the technical term. after throwing several of them on the floor in a reflex response, i gave them to my father in law who rinsed them in salt water which caused them to float off. (yyuuuckk!). has anyone else experienced this? what else should i be dunking in salt water when i come home from supporting local agriculture?
ick.

cinnamon_queen
07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
I've never had a problem with my farmer's market fruit, but I sometimes will find small worms in the vegetables. Although it's not a common thing, I do find little black worms in the red peppers. None of the farmers that I buy from use chemicals or sprays on their vegetables, so I only expect to find a few worms here and there. I'd rather have something natural such as a worm than buy it from the store and worry about pesticides.

I wash everything anyway...it's a habit that comes from getting food poisioning from fresh produce once.

I wouldn't quit shopping at the farmers market just because of you found a worm!!

Chelle D
07-02-2004, 06:37 AM
I found little green worms on my Farmer's Market broccoli before. They matched the broccoli and it was hard to get them all (I made DH do it). I still inspected each piece meticulously before putting it in my mouth. I have not bought broccoli at the Farmer's Market since but I buy everything else I can find there and have never seen any more worms. A little bug her eand there, but that's about it.

Pat58
07-02-2004, 05:13 PM
I look at it in this way: if it is healthy enough for the critters to survive, it must not be chemically toxic. I first judge whether the item is too infested for consumption - in those rare instances, the critters are visibly in, around and through the item in question. In that case I discard it or bring it back for a refund. It will teach the farmer to use Ree-may (SP?) cloth over his veggies and get a better consumer response.

If it is a matter of a few little critters hiding in nooks and crannies, the soaking in salt water (or a big bowl of water with some cider vinegar in it) will make them float to the top.

It is unfortunate, but the overusage of chemical pesticides has created "super bugs." They are now very resistant to chemicals. Bugs were here before us, outnumber us, and will probably outlive our time on this planet!

stacy7272
07-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Bugs were here before us, outnumber us, and will probably outlive our time on this planet!

I've read that they outweigh us too!

I rinsed off some blackberries one time, put them in a bowl and started eating away. Half way through I notice teeny tiny wormy things squirming around one of the berries. On closer inspection I see that they are all over every berry and the bowl. YUCK! Now, I always rinse the berries and let them sit for about 15 minutes before I start to eat to see if any bugs come out.

LaurenP
07-02-2004, 07:05 PM
The salt water soak really does work. DH and I grew broccoli one year and had a great harvest and sent some home with my parents. That same night we sat down to dinner and there on our plates with our broccoli were these little greenish worms. Yuck! I called my parents and the first thing they said is how much they enjoyed the broccoli! I never did mention the worms, I didn't have the heart to tell them what they had just eaten. We did a soak and rinse before eating or giving away any more broccoli that year and haven't grown it since.

angelamaria
07-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by LaurenP
The salt water soak really does work. DH and I grew broccoli one year and had a great harvest and sent some home with my parents. That same night we sat down to dinner and there on our plates with our broccoli were these little greenish worms. Yuck! I called my parents and the first thing they said is how much they enjoyed the broccoli! I never did mention the worms, I didn't have the heart to tell them what they had just eaten. We did a soak and rinse before eating or giving away any more broccoli that year and haven't grown it since.

:D :D :p this is exactly why my inlaws know about the salt water thing- they grow a huge veggie garden every year organically!! and i usually try to buy organic.. they said specifically organic broccoli usually has those little green worms in it. so i imagine i have eaten a whole lotta worms over the years...now i know to dunk it in the salt water (usually i just rinsed in running water).
i would rather salt out worms than eat pesticides i just wish someone had told me about the salt water trick sooner!oh well they eat worse stuff on survivor!(or at least that is what i told myself).

cinnabun
07-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Whats the ratio of salt to water or does it matter? I bought organic celery once and it had bugs in it, I knew that it was there because there were no chemicals used but I still have a problem buying organic since that happened.