PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a pie-iron 4 camping?

monkee831
07-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I was reading some old posts about camping food and several BB members said a pie maker/ pie iron was THE essential camping equipment to have. Anyone know where I can purchase such a thing? I looked at Wal-mart online but didn't see anything.

TIA

slknight
07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
There's one at Campmor. It's $9.99:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13718&memberId=12500226

http://www.campmor.com/images/acc/80313.jpg

Beth
07-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I just checked the same sight -- have found everything I never knew I needed for my son's scout camping and more there. My search turned up one that said $16.99 -- it's a double. The one above is a single. That's all I know about them, except they look a lot like the old-fashioned pizzelle irons. :D

monkee831
07-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Susan and Beth Thanks for the information. Now I have a whole new site to explore!:D :D :D

Beth
07-02-2004, 11:11 AM
You're more than welcome, and I in turn can thank my physical therapist and fellow scout mom (actually, she's an adult adviser and her brother is a national forestry ranger or soemthing -- so she seemed to think everyone knew campmor). They really seem to have just about anything you'd need and can't pick up at Target or Walmart and their prices are good. I'm about to place an order for birthday presents for my son. Have fun -- shopping and camping!

Chefzhat
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
We love these things! So great for camping.

Be sure you purchase one that is solid cast iron, and feels heavy when you lift it. My folks have some very thin "tin" irons and all their pies burn!

We purchased ours from Gander Mountain, I think they were around $14.00.

monkee831
07-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tip Chefzhat and yet another site to explore. I love camping and summer!:)

Kathy B
07-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Actually, even Walmart carries them in their camping area.

Valerie226
07-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Ok, help me out here. DH & I camp alot, car camp & backpack. but this is a first for me. what in the world is that thing for?

AndreaU
07-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Oh, Valerie... the wonderful world of pie irons awaits you!!! We always took one camping for making wonderful "grilled" sandwiches over the campfire. My favorite was pie iron pizza- butter the outsides of 2 slices of bread, slather one with sauce, put some shredded mozzarella on top and any other toppings (pepperoni rules!); close the iron and stick in the fire. Remove when toasted to your liking and cheese is melted. Yummmmm!!!! (Not for backpacking, though, as it's heavy. Hence the 'iron' in the name! ;) )

We had 4 or 5 of the darn things and I believe I inherited them all- round, square, double, you name it- as my parents don't camp anymore.

Monkee-- you are SOOOOOO lucky you don't live anywhere near northern NJ! We are all too close to the almighty Campmor and head there several times a year, just to see what they have, and ineveitably end up spending WAY too much $$. It is an awesome camping resource, though. If you can't find something there, good luck!

hollysmom
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Just call it a 'grilled cheese sandwich maker' and people over 40 will know what you are talking about. We used to use ours over the gas stovetop at home when I was a kid.

You might look on Ebay too.

SSM

Valerie226
07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks AndreaU, thought it looked like a maybe a non stove panini maker or a small on electric "george". We don't do fires, but thanks for letting me know what it is!