PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Shrimp ideas for Dinner

tigermorris
07-08-2004, 09:54 AM
We are going to have Shrimp for dinner this evening per DH request. I just don't know what to prepare. DH is following a lowfat/low carb diet so shrimp scampi is out.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terri

c1127
07-08-2004, 10:46 AM
This is one of my favorites:

Easy Shrimp Dinner (allrecipes.com)
2 1/2 cups water
3 cubes chicken bouillon
3 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
salt to taste
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
12 ounces trimmed snow peas
4 small ripe tomatoes, diced

1. In a large saucepan, heat 2 1/2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Add shrimp, green onion, soy sauce and salt. Boil for 3 minutes.
2. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water; stir into shrimp mixture. Cook until sauce is thick, then add tomatoes and snow peas. Serve hot.

Makes 8 servings
Calories 188
Total fat 1.9g
Cholesterol 260mg
Sodium 1303mg
Carbs 11.1g
Fiber 1.9g
Protein 30.4g
WW Points 3.5

I use fat-free low-sodium chicken broth instead of the buillon cubes - I find buillon cubes to be way too salty (especially in conjunction with soy sauce). This recipes scales well -- I usually make 2 servings. As a single girl, I like a recipe that I can cut down to 1 or 2 servings!

Enjoy!
Christine

Kismet
07-08-2004, 10:56 AM
This one from Eating Well is terrific! Scampi-like flavors with much less fat.

Sizzled Citrus Shrimp
Spring 2004
Recipe by Joyce Hendley and the EatingWell Test Kitchen

Prep time: 15 minutes (including peeling shrimp)
Start to finish: 40 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy

All shrimp really needs to dazzle is lots of garlic and a splash of lemon. This quick Spanish-inspired sauté is a lesson in simplicity. Serve as a main dish or as a tapa (appetizer).

Marinade & Shrimp
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons dry white wine
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound shrimp (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined

Sauce
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Combine lemon juice, wine, 2 teaspoons oil and garlic in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. Drain well, reserving marinade.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, turning once, until barely pink, about 30 seconds per side; transfer to a plate. Add bay leaf, crushed red pepper and the reserved marinade to the pan; simmer for 4 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the pan; heat through. Season with salt, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each.
Per serving: 171 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 172 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrate; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 315 mg sodium.

tigermorris
07-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks!
Both of these recipes look good and also easy.
I'll let DH deicde when I get home from work.
Now I better go back to work, since I have stuff I need to do.

Thanks again.

Wendy w
07-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Here's another. If he is low carbing it, you can skip the pasta or rice.

SHRIMP, SCALLOP OR CHICKEN DELIGHT

1 T olive oil
3 minced garlic cloves (or more!) -- (3 to 5)
10 medium shrimp or 1/2 lb scallops or chicken
2 green onions -- chopped
1 red bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
1 Anaheim (long -- thin) chili pepper,
seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno or other hot chili pepper
10 cherry tomatoes (I prefer using 3-4
chopped Romas)
1 handful cilantro (optional) -- chopped

In saute pan, place oil and garlic over high fire. When garlic begins to crackle, add all other ingredeints in order as above (meat, then onions, then bell pepper, etc.). Stir constantly. As tomatoes begin to cook, smash with wooden spoon (they become the sauce). When meat is done, so is the dish. Pour over rice or pasta and serve. (2 servings

ethecat
07-08-2004, 02:14 PM
What about the Shrimp in Green Sauce from Jan. 2004? Unfortunately, if you are low-no carb, you can't soak up the sauce with bread. I made this and thought it was a nice easy shrimp recipe. I think it is a Mark Bittman recipe.

My next shrimp recipe to try is the Basil Shrimp with Feta and Orzo (May 2004?). This one is out for the low-carbers, since it uses orzo. Does anyone have a review for this one??

sab1976
07-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Here's a bunch from Everyday Food that I've been meaning to try:

Caribbean Shrimp Kebabs
Sesame Orange Shrimp
Sauteed Shrimp and Endive
Caesar Salad with Spicy Shrimp
Shrimp Stir Fry
Shrimp with Garlic and Lemon
Cilantro-Grilled Shrimp with Sesame Cabbage
Curried Shrimp
Skewered Sesame Shrimp

Reply if you'd like the recipe for any of these.