PDA

View Full Version : Cookies that are too cake-y...

Jewel
07-12-2004, 10:29 PM
If a cookie recipe has the reputation of being too 'cake-y' and not dense like most cookies should be...how can I fix the recipe to be less cake-y? This cookie recipe has only one egg. If I double the eggs to two and lessen the liquid ingredients a smidge, should that make a difference?

I'm trying to tinker with a Banana Oatmeal Cookie recipe and the two main review complaints are that they're too cakey, and they are kind of bland and need to be a touch sweeter. I'm wanting to add white chocolate chips to the recipe, but to take care of that cakey thing and make them a bit more dense, should I add an egg or maybe increased the mashed banana? I don't want to increase the butter or shortening, so what else can I do? :confused: Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

jlo_of_hotlanta
07-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Well, you add flour to cookies to make them softer ... maybe a combination of this and added fat (in the form of butter, shortening, etc) ??

Whoops, just reread and noticed you didn't want to add fat ... hmm. Howabout just lessening the flour?

Ashley

sweetpea
07-13-2004, 07:47 AM
You might want to check out the Eating Well Chocolate Chip cookie thread were newsomz posted the link to the Alton Brown transcript from his show on cookies--cakey/crispy/chewy--it helped me make a crispy cookie chewy so maybe it will lend you some insight?

sweetpea
07-13-2004, 08:06 AM
i lied..it's the thin, crispy and chewy. might be good for me to REREAD the transcript before i quote from it, ehh? looks like using an egg yolk plus 2 tbsp milk in place of the egg would help and maybe melting the butter AND using bread flour might help?? and chill the batter a little too might help--i would def. shoot for a less stiff batter, but that is from my limited experience in cooking experimenting! :)

CompassRose
07-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Cakey cookies are, sadly, usually the fate of the low-fat cookie, especially the one with fruit mash in it.

You say, however, that you also want it sweeter; add some syrup. Brown rice syrup is the best (it actually gets chewy/crispy in a cookie; I made some really nice fat FREE cookies with brown rice syrup) but corn syrup will work as well.

If there's other liquid in the recipe (milk, whatever) replace it with syrup.

More eggs, sadly, will only make the cookie puffier, as eggs/egg whites act as a sort of leavening in the oven.

Kathy B
07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
What other liquid ingredients are there besides the egg and banana? I know when I make banana cake, the version that calls for milk/buttermilk is not as dense as the one that only uses egg/banana/shortening as the wet ingredients. Maybe if you reduce or eliminate the other liquid it would help. I think that with mashed banana in it you will not be able to achieve a very chewy or crisp cookie.

sushibones
07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Jewel, this is from Shirley Corriher's Cookwise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Cooking.

Fine Tuning Cookies
For Less Puff (and more spread):

Use all butter.

Add 1-2 Tbsp liquid (water, milk, or cream--not egg).

Use a low-protein flour like bleached all-purpose (but not one that is chlorinated).

Add 1-2 Tbsp sugar.

Hope this helps. And, BTW, Happy Birthday. :D

brykate
07-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Susan!!! HI!!! <squealing and jumping up and down> I'm so happy to see you on the board :D I miss your inteligent banter and awesome funny wit around here. I think we could use more of you. Nudge.
And same with you Jewel! :) And Happy Birthday too.

ok - back to cookies....

Great tips and source for cookie advice. I know your cookies will turn out, especially since you have the best cookie recipes already. But have fun getting it "right" I agree that often a recipe like that needs to be sweeter and well as more cookie-ish.

Stepping down now since I just sound like a big suck up and have offered nothing new or needed on the thread.... :rolleyes:
:D :)

Jewel
07-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I was just able to get to a computer that wasn't equipped with SpyWare! :rolleyes:

The recipe calls for 3/4 cup shortening. I'd already decided to do half butter/half shortening and I think that is a wise decision now after reading the butter thing above. There is no other liquid aside from 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla. I think I'm going to add the additional milk anyway and maybe compensate with a little less flour. So increasing the mashed banana from 1/2 cup to 3/4 wouldn't help with cakey?

And BTW, they are NOT lowfat cookies! ;) If they turn out I'll post my recipe after all the tweaks.

And Hi Katie! :p

valchemist
07-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I think that, as kathy said, the mashed banana is going to cause cake-i-ness. (I am not sure, but I think so.)

One solution might be to chop the banana rather than mash it. Then fold the banana chunks in. This technique is used in the cookie recipe below which is excellent. I reduced the baking powder to 1 tsp because I don't like cake-y cookies and I thought that 2 tsp would make them puffier than I wanted. I also left out the nuts and the cinnamon. Other than that, I followed the recipe. The resulting cookie is not cake-y. It is crisp on the outside and nicely chewy and dense inside. (they do soften upon storage, but they are still delicious and chewy.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :Tish Boyle
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder (original recipe called for 2 tsp)
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I omitted)
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- softened (1 stick)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 medium sized banana (ripe but firm with some brown spots) -- peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 cup chopped pecans (I omitted)

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.

Add the egg and vanilla and beat until blended.

At low speed add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, mixing just until blended.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Then stir in the banana.

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. With moistened hands, flatten the mounds of dough slightly.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until cookies are golden brown on the bottom. (I let them cool on the sheets 1 to 2 minutes before removing). Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.

Store in an airtight container at room temp. for up to 5 days.

Source:
"The Good Cookie"

valchemist
07-14-2004, 09:01 AM
forgot to mention...

the cookie dough in that recipe I posted is very stiff. you have to be careful when you are folding in the bananas that you don't mash them in the process. you want them to stay in chunks. if you mush them up into the batter, they affect the texture of the dough part of the cookie.

anyway, these cookies are so yummy that I think I will have to dig up the old thread where they were reviewed in the past. I don't want the recipe to get lost in here.

sushibones
07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by brykate
Susan!!! HI!!! <squealing and jumping up and down>

Hi back, Katie. I'm getting to old and dignified, not to mention stiff and creaky, to squeal and jump up and down, but I can manage a vigorous wave. WAVE. Oh, what the heck--squeal, jump up and down, ow, my knees, my back.

Sorry, back to the cookie discussion. :o

Jewel
07-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! Val, I wish I'd read your post last night before I started baking. I did three batches last night and made 12 dozen cookies. Oy. :rolleyes: They disappeared from the potluck today, but I will never make that recipe again.

I kept the mashed banana to 1/2 cup and added a tsp of banana extract to help punch the flavor. Good choice. 3 cups of oats I think might have been too much with 1 cup flour. They would NOT spread even though I used all butter, so after the first haystack shaped batch I flattened them with a glass dipped in flour each time. They still turned out cakey, but not near as much as before. I also kicked the heat up to 375* to help crisp them a bit.

Next time I'm using your recipe! :p Thanks all!