PDA

View Full Version : Kale Calzone Review

cab321
07-20-2004, 07:53 AM
I made up a calzone recipe last night - inspired by the Kale Calzone recipe from the CSA cookbook Asparagus to Zucchini. It was really good.

I didn't measure anything, but I'll try to guess what I used.

1 can of pizza dough (as stated before I'm inept in this dept.)
1 cup part-skim ricotta
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
4 slices mozzarella cheese
freshly ground pepper
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large bunch kale (I don't know what kind I used - it was a funky variety from my CSA box)
1 t olive oil
spaghetti sauce for dipping

I chopped the kale and sauteed it in the oil until it wilted a little, then added the garlic and covered the pan. Cooked for 5-10 minutes.

Mixed the kale mixture, ricotta, parm and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture on half of the pizza dough (spread on a baking tray). Topped the mixture with the mozzarella, folded the dough over and baked at 375 F for 25 minutes.

This made 4 servings, and was very filling. If it had been a normal pizza (same size crust) DH and I probably would have finished the whole thing off.

Notes : Next time I wouldn't bother with the mozzarella cheese - it doesn't add anything. DH and I decided that this would be a great way to use any green. And the ricotta might even tame the bitterness of mustard greens.

Kayaksoup
07-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Thank you for the recipe. This time of year, I am always on the lookout for fun ways to ccok the seasonal veggies.