PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever mandoline-d their finger?

hollysmom
07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Was playing with the new toy and 'oops'...spoke several 4-letter words and bled for 30 minutes. Has anyone ever done this?
Will it ever heal - this is the middle fingertip on the right hand and I am always banging it on something even with the bandaid! Makes typing lots of fun...

SSM

MiMo
07-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Oh, I feel so bad for you. My best friend did the same thing a few years ago, except she actually had to go to the ER because her finger bled for almost two hours and showed no signs of stopping. I have never owned a mandoline for that reason.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. :)

Gail
07-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I have grated my finger more times than I can count. I have sawed at it under French bread (hence the circa-70's term "French Bread Finger" in the satire, "Serial.") I have punctured it with the tip of my chef's knife. I have whacked a chunk out of it by slapping a falling dish against the side of a cabinet, only to have the dish break into my finger. I have sliced it open removing surgical blades from handles (this, thank God, before AIDS was around) and likewise had several syringe needles go in and out of my fingers.

Under the circumstances, can you see me owning a mandoline? :p

Sorry yours got you. I know what a drag it can be.

Vicanddi
07-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Hope your finger heals soon! I don't have a mandoline, but recently bought a KA box grater...which is apparently MUCH sharper than my old grater. I grated my thumb...bled for a while, and took about 2 weeks to heal. I'm much more resepctful of that tool now! :rolleyes:

alisajean
07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Never the finger, but have lost many fingernails to the little "beast!" Hoping for a speedy recovery!

MiMo
07-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Vicanddi
Hope your finger heals soon! I don't have a mandoline, but recently bought a KA box grater...which is apparently MUCH sharper than my old grater. I grated my thumb...bled for a while, and took about 2 weeks to heal. I'm much more resepctful of that tool now! :rolleyes:

Oh, no. I bought a KA box grater two weeks ago at Target because I just had to have it. I haven't used it yet but will be careful when I do now. You probably saved my fingertips and nails, so thank you for the "warning".

Elizabeth B
07-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Yes, I sliced off the tip of my right hand ring finger last year on a mandoline slicer. I think there's a thread about it somewhere.

It was a cheapo slicer from Targer and the guard slipped on a red onion the very first (and last) time I used it.

Like MiMo's friend, we couldn't get the bleeding to stop so I went to the ER and they stitched it back on. The cool thing was that the missing part of my fingertip grew back and pushed off the old part!!

Now I get the chills whenever I even look at a sharp blade.

MKSquared
07-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Yes, Yes! I sliced my finger on my mandoline while I was repeating a "Be very careful" mantra ... :rolleyes: I knew it woud happen eventually, but I didn't think it would happen on its first time out of the box! Now, mandolines are great tools - when I use mine, I use a cutting glove.

hollysmom
07-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Nice to know that I'm not alone. The injury at its worst was about 1/4" diameter - about the size of a hole punch. Figure there wasn't much that could be done.

SSM

Jill123
07-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I've sliced mine and it bled forever too. Didn't get the whole thing, just left a nice chunk hanging there. I was able to bandage it up and it eventually healed up just fine, but it took a long time.

Hang in there!

PS -- I can't think about using my mandoline without a shiver running up my spine. But I still use it -- I'm just super, super careful with it.

swquilts
07-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Yikes! My mom has done every kind of cutting imagineable to her hands. One time she was cutting the seeds out of an apple (picture apple half in left hand and boring into it with knife in right) and pushed the knife right through her hand!! :eek: :rolleyes: We try to keep any shart utensils out of her reach.

Right after I bought my new knives I sliced a nice half moon on my thumb and yes, it took HOURS to stop bleeding. For some reason any cut digit will do that, maybe more capillaries or something.

Hopefully you heal up and hair over in no time! ;) ;) :D

Grace
07-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Don't all mandolines come with the guard piece that attaches to the food you're cutting? I wouldn't consider even touching mine without using that thing.

So sorry about your poor finger!!! :( :( I hope it heals soon!

catts
07-23-2004, 08:16 PM
I sliced off the tip of my thumb. We dumped dinner and headed for the E.R. They couldn't stitch the piece back on. So they put skin sealer on it and it eventually healed up. I have never used the slicer since.

TitlePending
07-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Yes, I have a very nice mandoline and no, I am most fortunate not to have yet cut myself . . . I worry for the day even though I use the protective handle.

Through the years I've had my share of nicks and stitches using other utensils - I wish you a speedy recovery!

Linda~

RobinC
07-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Yep. I sliced the tip off my thumb a year ago. I wasn't using the safety guard. :rolleyes: I ended up in the urgent care clinic the following morning when the throbbing pain and bleeding wouldn't stop. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the painless magic skin sealer so they had to cauterize it with silver nitrate. That made me cry. :(

I still use my mandoline, but now with the safety guard. :D

Beth
07-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Chef's had a sale last week with a $250 list mandoline on sale for $60-something. I was thinking about buying it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it in part because I thought I had recently seen one that seemed to have a new style guard. This thread is the other part of the reaason I still don't have one. I love the idea -- maybe the cutting glove is the way to go.

Anyone know if, like knives, the better and more expensive blades can be safer?

SusanL
07-24-2004, 02:32 AM
and it was my first time using it with the guard! My husband threw it away, then tended to my finger. Years later my friend got one and I told her my story. That night she calls me on the phone in a whisper, "I just used my madoline and took a chunk out of my finger. What should I do?" :(
I use my food processor or a knife now. Much safer for me.