PDA

View Full Version : Help finding authors like Jan Karon

Denise
07-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Every year for Christmas we give DH's sweet grandma a new Jan Karon book. She's not a big reader but she loves the gentle humor with the religious context. Unfortunately we have run out and it looks like Jan Karon doesn't have another book due out before Christmas! Any suggestions?

clairea
07-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Try the Cape Light series by Thomas Kinkade (the painter) (I think he actually writes them with someone else, but you should be able to find them with his name as the author). They are similar to the Mitford books.

Claire

Hoodone
07-23-2004, 08:24 PM
If she likes mysteries, there is a sweet series by Jeanne M. Dams that features an older woman as the "detective". The first one is called "The Body in the Transept".

I also think that the Botswana books by Alexander McCall Smith (I think that's the author's name) are a nice series. The first one is "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency."

Neither of those are exactly like the Mitford series, but might be a place to start. Have you looked at Amazon? If you go to one of the Mitford books, they'll have a place where they say, "people who bought this book also bought this other book, or books by this other author." I sometimes use that feature to find books to read.

makarios
07-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Checking Amazon is a good idea. My other suggestion, and please don't laugh, would be the Anne of Green Gables books. I know they are supposed to be for young readers, but I didn't discover them for myself until I was well into my thirties, and I thought they were delightful even as an "old lady." ;) Finally, you said she liked the religious aspect of the Karon books, so you might consider a couple of books by Marjorie Holmes called Two From Galilee and Three From Galilee , which are the stories of Mary and Joseph and Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, respectively, told in novelized form.

HTH

Clover
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
I immediately thought of the Miss Read books, since Mitford is more or less one of her cozy English villages transplanted to North Carolina. I just checked over on Amazon, and someone there says that Jan Karon said in an interview that she was partially inspired by the Miss Read books. They are probably in your library if you want to look at them. They might be shelved under Read or under her real name, Dora Saint. Or, all too likely, some under each.

She might like Barbara Pym's books, in particular Some Tame Gazelle. Gentle, witty, set in an English village, characters mostly fiftyish, and while not religious per se, well-populated with archdeacon, vicars, curates, canon. Great book IMO.

Denise
07-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I have Cape Light reserved at the library and will look into Miss Read. I do think the religious aspect is key, though the gentle humor of Alexander McCall Smith could work. I tried the Barnes and Noble trick of people who bought Jan Karon also bought .....more Jan Karon! Every book listed in those sections are by her. Again, thanks for the ideas, I better get to reading!

KDHE
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
I have done the same for my grandma. Last Christmas I gave her 5 novellas by Francine Rivers (they were originally out in single format, but have just been put into one volume). Each one was written about a woman in the lineage of Jesus. Very interesting but light enough as they are written from their perspective. Other Christian writers she might like include Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, Dee Henderson, etc. Good luck!