PDA

View Full Version : Rev:Curried Crab and Corn Cakes

karen w
08-01-2004, 04:50 PM
I did not see a review on this anywhere. It is from the Summer '04 issue of Eating Well. This may be my new favorite crab cake recipe(although, admittedly I have not tried too many, yet). Anyway, I followed the recipe which is also an unusual thing in my kitchen, and they turned out very moist and tasty. I did not need the full cup of bread crumbs, either. I was not sure how the mint would be in these. But surprisingly, it was detectable, but not overpowering. The lime also was very nice, and for those who aren't fans of curry, it was very mild here. Curry fans may want to increase the curry powder. I used a combo of Penzey's sweet and hot curry. I did not find these needed any sauce, either, as they were plenty moist and flavorful.

Karen

As an aside, I just remembered I also made the Cream Cheese Brownies from EW about 2 weeks ago, and never posted my thoughts. I ended up sending these to work with DH and they loved them there. We did not enjoy them at home, however, primarily because the coffee flavor in them was too strong for both DH and I. Keep in mind, though, that neither DH or I drink/like coffee. I thought it would just enhance the chocolate flavor like in the Died and Went to Heaven Cake, but it was very Mocha flavored instead. They were also too dense and gooey for my tastes, and there was not much "cheesecakey" taste to the swirl layer once you eat it all together as a brownie. Oh well, live and learn!

Natasha
08-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reviews, Karen. The crab cakes sound especially good, but to be honest, both recipes sound great to me (because I LOVE coffee ;)). Time to put these on the to-make list!

Natasha

Schmee
08-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Karen, is there any way you could post the recipe? Sounds really good and I do not get Eating Well.

Thanks.:)

karen w
08-01-2004, 05:39 PM
It is on their website, but I copied and pasted:

Curried Corn & Crab Cakes
Summer 2004

Recipe by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley

Prep time: 15 minutes
Start to finish: 45 minutes
To make ahead: Prepare recipe through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Ease of preparation: Easy

Many cooks think crab cakes require a lot of effort—but they only look difficult. In this version, kernels of corn provide nuggets of texture and flavor. With a tossed salad and some grilled vegetables, these crab cakes make an ideal summer meal.

5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 cup corn kernels (about 2 ears)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound lump crabmeat, shells removed (see Note)
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
Lime wedges

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, curry powder and garlic; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let cool completely. Stir in crabmeat.
3. Whisk mayonnaise, egg whites, lime juice, cilantro, mint and salt in a small bowl. Fold into the crab mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Using about 1/3 cup per patty, form the mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties. Dredge the patties in the remaining breadcrumbs.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 crab cakes and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn cakes over onto the prepared baking sheet. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining 4 crab cakes.
5. Bake the crab cakes until golden on the second side and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.

Makes 4 servings, 2 crab cakes each.
Per serving: 341 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 2 g fiber; 783 mg sodium.

Ingredient note: Crabmeat can be purchased in three forms: canned, frozen or pasteurized. The pasteurized usually has the best flavor (it is heated to a lower temperature than canned); look for it in the fresh seafood section of the market. Once opened, the crabmeat should be used within 4 days.

Enjoy,
Karen