PDA

View Full Version : Rev: Smothered Squash and Pinto Beans (CL 6/98)

sweetpea
08-02-2004, 07:41 AM
This yummy dish was reviewed last year but that thread is no longer accepting new threads....and i think it's time to bring this recipe back up! I know my garden is exploding and yours probably is too!

It is on page 165 in the CL Annual for 1999 or you can find it on the CL homepage in the recipe finder--I have tried 3 times to get to the recipe so i can copy/paste it here and each time my computer has seized up. So i gave up...I will try again to post it later.

Here are my changes, etc:
*i used some red pepper flakes in place of jalapeno pepper
*used all yellow squash in place of some squash and some zucchini
*used fresh tomatoes (about 3 small) in place of canned diced
*used dried thyme rather than fresh sprigs

And don't skip the cheese in this dish--it makes it creamy and delicious! I did have to add quite a bit of salt, maybe b/c my beans were no salt added or b/c of the fresh tomatoes, but anyway, be prepared to salt it! DH and i think this would be great as a filling for burritos or to add some salsa and eat with tortilla chips. I really liked the addition of the rice as well (i used instant brown rice). This was a very simple, easy and delicious recipe that is a great way to use up your garden bounty! :)

sweetpea
08-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Here is the recipe:

Smothered Squash and Pinto Beans

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) sliced yellow squash
1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) sliced zucchini
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 thyme sprigs
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups hot cooked long-grain rice

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, jalapeño, and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in squash and zucchini, and sauté 2 minutes. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, and thyme; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Discard thyme; sprinkle with cheese. Serve over rice.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup squash mixture and 1/2 cup rice)

CALORIES 337 (20% from fat); FAT 7.5g (satfat 3.2g, monofat 3.1g, polyfat 0.7g); PROTEIN 13.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 55.2g; FIBER 5.7g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; IRON 3.9mg; SODIUM 432mg; CALCIUM 198mg;
Cooking Light, JUNE 1998

Kismet
08-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Sounds like a yummy way to use summer produce. Thanks for posting!

Kismet
09-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks again, Sweetpea, for posting this recipe! I made it last night for a quick and yummy dinner. I also used fresh tomatoes, not canned, and I believe that's why so much salt was needed. The other change I made was to add a chopped red pepper because I didn't have enough summer squash/zucchini. I thought the flavors were very summery, and the thyme added a nice subtle herby flavor.