PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Summer squash soup recipe?

melis_d
08-02-2004, 04:50 PM
I had a summer squash soup recipe that I thought I'd found on these boards but can't relocate and am hoping someone can help. It had buttermilk and curry as the other main ingedients that I can remember and was a cold soup. Is this ringing any bells?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Melissa

Laurielee
08-02-2004, 06:09 PM
I think this is it. we made it last month for our CL supper club and yo can see the review here. Be careful with the mint, we didnt like the mint with it, or felt it should be finely minced.

laurie

Chilled Summer-Squash Soup with Curry

2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/4 pounds yellow squash, cubed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
1 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted. Add squash, onion, and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Place squash mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl; cover and chill. Stir in the buttermilk, mint, and salt.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 82 (24% from fat); FAT 2.2g (satfat 1g, monofat 0.6g, polyfat 0.4g); PROTEIN 4.8g; CARBOHYDRATE 12.3g; FIBER 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 0.8mg; SODIUM 681mg; CALCIUM 136mg;
Cooking Light, JUNE 2000

kabs
08-02-2004, 08:01 PM
I know you asked for a CL recipe, but this is a summer squash soup recipe from Oprah that I've made lots of times. I love it. It's also not cold...

Summer Squash Lemon Thyme Soup

Soup is one of Oprah's favorite summer foods, and this one is at the top of her list! She calls it, "Summer in a bowl!"

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 large sweet onions, chopped
1 leek, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
6 yellow summer squash (about three pounds), trimmed and coarsely chopped
4 sprigs of lemon thyme (or 4 sprigs of thyme and 2 strips of lemon peel), plus fresh sprigs for garnish
5 cups of sodium-free chicken broth
teaspoon salt
2 to 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
Hot pepper sauce
Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and lemon zest for garnish

In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, leek and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onions are soft. Add the squash and lemon thyme and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Increase to medium high heat; add the chicken broth and salt. Cook, partially covered, at a low boil for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft. Discard the thyme.

Puree the soup in batches in a covered blender, then return to the Dutch oven and heat through. Add the lemon juice and hot pepper sauce to taste.

Garnish the soup with shaved Parmesan, pine nuts, thyme sprigs and lemon zest. Serve hot.

keg64
08-11-2004, 06:47 AM
We really liked the Summer Squash Lemon Thyme Soup! I have to say though that I did make lots of modifications but I was in the mood to add some chicken and HAD to have some matzoh balls:) but would make again following the recipe more closely.