PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Beef Salad with Lemongrass Dressing-8/04

Terrytx
08-04-2004, 08:38 AM
I can't find a review of this or the Cracker Bread-sorry if I missed either one.

Beef Salad with Lemongrass Dressing-I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but here again, this was great, but not unlike several (actually more than several) other similar recipes from the past. I mean really, how many ways can this same sort of salad be done? It was really an excellent salad, full of flavor, nice crisp and cool :D

Herbed Cracker Bread-CL-8/04-Very good-The DH and DD kept sneaking pieces all evening. I had a hard time with the dough, but then I always do when it comes to this sort of stuff. I think I over-work it, and make it tough. Anyway, this is sort of addictive. Try it, I think you will like it.

bobmark226
08-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Terrytx
I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but here again, this was great, but not unlike several (actually more than several) other similar recipes from the past. I mean really, how many ways can this same sort of salad be done?

Take a look at the various peanut dressing variations floating around here these days, Terry, whether it be noodles or a satay wrap, or the one from last month or the month before when maybe it was on soba....I think a great deal of this comes from cooking from one source for a long time; sooner or later you're doing yet another variation. This is why I find myself working from cookbooks more lately, but, of course, I always have the feeling that whatever it is, I'm doing just another twist of something CL anyway!

BOB

Terrytx
08-04-2004, 09:13 AM
I totally agree! That's why when the DH complains that I never go back and repeat some of his favorites, I tell him that I don't have to cause another will come along that is the same thing with a different name.

And BTW the salad was from 7/04 not 8/04-sorry.

Kismet
08-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I have some lemongrass left from an earlier recipe, so I'll definitely keep the salad in mind. :)

ElinorC
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I agree that a lot of the recent recipes (last couple of years) have just been variations on previous dishes. I too have been looking at other sources and find that CL has had many recipes similar to the ones in other cookbooks. A recipe has to be really new or different for me to try it these days. I have hundreds of recipes we really liked that I can repeat until I find one I want to try. I was reading through Southern Living's Annual 2004 cookbook and found several parfait recipes. Sound familiar? All the publications must go with the same ideas at about the same time.