PDA

View Full Version : EW Summer 04 - 2 reviews

cniles
08-16-2004, 01:26 PM
I made the Roasted Tomato Soup and followed it with the Zucchini-Walnut Loaf today.

I thought the soup was good - not outstanding but good. It could have been me though b/c I had a couple of issues: It calls for 1 1/2 pounds large tomatoes, such as beefsteak. I don't have a scale so I estimated 5 large tomatoes (I could be off!). Also after you roast the tomatoes you are supposed to peel and then seed. I couldn't seed the darn things after they were roasted. Everything feel apart into one gooey mess - so the seeds were left in. As a result, it was not a smooth tomato soup - the seeds didn't get pureed very well in my processor. Anyway, it was good.

I thought the Zucchini-walnut loaf was great!! It calls for lemon extract as an optional ingrediant which I didn't have but it has very nice blend of spices and sweetness in the bread. I made mine in a regular size loaf pan as I didn't have the mini bread pans.

Roasted Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 35 mins Ease of Preparation: Easy

1 1/2 pounds large tomatoes, such as beefsteak, cut in half crosswise
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, peeled and cut in half crosswise
3 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
1/4 cup tomato juice
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh basil, choppped
Brown sugar to taste (optional)
1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn

1. Preheat oven to 400 degreesF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon oil in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place the mixture on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the vegetables are soft and caramelized, about 30 mins. Let cool.

3. Peel the garlic and tomatoes; seed the tomatoes. Trim off the onion ends. PLace vegetables in a food processor or blender with 1 cup broth and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Pulse to desired thickness and texture.

4. Transfer the vegetable puree to a large heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the remaining 1 cup broth, tomato juice, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, basil and brown sugar (if using). Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Ladle into 6 coup bowls, garnish with corn and serve.

Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each

Per serving: 95 calories; 4 G Fat (1G Sat, 3 G Mono); 1 MG Cholesterol; 13 G carbohydrate; 3 G Protein; 3 G Fiber; 146 MG Sodium.

Zucchini-Walnut Loaf
Prep Time: 30 mins Ease of Preparation: Easy

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1 cup grated zucchini, light packed (about 8 ounces)
2 tablespoon walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degreesF. Coat 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.

2. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soad, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.

3. Whisk egg whites, sugar, applesauce, oil and lemon extract (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in the zucchini.

4. Make a well in the dry ingredients; slowly, mix in zucchini mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in walnuts. Do not overmix. Transfer batter to the prepared pans.

5. Bake the loaves until a toothpick comes out almost clean, 40 to 45 mins. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 mins. Turn out onto the rack to cool completely.

Makes 2 mini loaves, 8 slices each.

Per Slice: 118 calories; 3 G Fat (0 Sat, 1 G mono); 0 MG Cholesterol; 22 G carbohydrate: 2 G Protein; 1 G Fiber; 88 MG sodium.

gertdog
08-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the reviews- I had forgotten about the zucchini bread recipe! I'd really like to try that one. And here it is all typed up and ready for Mastercook. :)

cniles
08-16-2004, 01:38 PM
I dusted off my typing skills as these are not posted on their website!!:)

kristalsnow7
08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Charisse,

I felt the same way about the soup. I was hoping it would have a deeper, roasted flavor, but it was pretty subtle. Good, not great. Oh, and I also had trouble seeding the tomatoes! They completely disintegrated into little tomato puddles, seeds and all. :)

PAMMELA
08-16-2004, 01:50 PM
That seems very strange that you would seed the tomatoes AFTER roasting, not before. I just made a roasted red pepper and tomato soup and it called for seeding the tomatoes then roasting them. I just cut them in half and squeezed each half in my hand to seed them.

cniles
08-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks goodness Kristal!!! I really think it's me sometimes when things go weird!!:p And Pammela, I thought it was strange too to seed AFTER roasting.....